Gransnet forums

Food

Cold meat

(34 Posts)
Teetime Wed 03-Jan-18 15:03:24

Has anyone got any suggestions as to what to do with left over beef (steady there vegetarians and vegans). We don't have it often and I don't buy a large joint but there is always some left over and I really don't enjoy cold meat and salad. Today I have sliced the beef and put it in a casserole with vegetables like my sisiter advised she does but I don't hold out great hopes for it. I could have made Cottage Pie which I love but don't own a mincer anymore - who does? The food processor doesn't do quite the same job does it?

annsixty Wed 03-Jan-18 20:30:02

Every Monday my mother made meat and potato pie.
Regardless of the type of meat ,it went into a pie dish with diced potato and onion, I seem to remember the liquid was always thin. A shortcrust pastry lid and into the oven, food for the gods. Would I turn my nose up at it now. Probably, but why.

M0nica Wed 03-Jan-18 20:54:10

I still have the mincing attachment for my Kenwood, but haven't used it recently.

Bathsheba Wed 03-Jan-18 21:00:27

One of my favourite things to do with cold cooked beef is to whizz it in the food processor, very fine, and mix it with some horseradish sauce for a really tasty sandwich filling.

Scribbles Wed 03-Jan-18 21:59:23

Ilovecheese, we had my late MiL's mincer stored in a box for decades but couldn't use it because the clamp couldn't be attached to the edge of a kitchen worktop (we didn't have a kitchen table). I learned to live without it. When we packed up to move house last year, it went with a box of other stuff to the charity shop and I hoped someone would give it a good home. Now we've been in the new house a while, we've acquired a kitchen table and I'm wondering if the shop might ...... Doh! No, that's silly!

Katek Wed 03-Jan-18 23:24:07

My son in law makes a Christmas roulade on Boxing Day using everything left over - including sprouts! The meat eaters tell me it’s very tasty.

Jalima1108 Wed 03-Jan-18 23:34:00

Chopping it in the food processor is not quite the same as an old-fashioned mincer but that is exactly what I did this evening.

I chopped the leftover beef (too expensive to waste, it was from the farm) with a small onion, mixed in some hot water, a stock cube and a little leftover gravy (made with red wine) and cooked it in the microwave, topped with mashed potato and then baked for a while in the oven.

It was very good though I say so myself, better than expected.

Jalima1108 Wed 03-Jan-18 23:35:31

Snap whitewave!
We must have been doing it at the same time grin
Ours was left over from NY Day

Teetime Thu 04-Jan-18 08:55:23

Thank you for the suggestions. I casseroled it and it came out like braising steak so that was Ok. I will try some of these other suggestions. I especially liked the Yorkshire pudding one.