Gransnet forums

Food

Cookery programmes

(31 Posts)
Shirleyw Mon 22-Jan-18 05:57:27

I used to love watching all the new cookery programmes but now gone completely off them. I can't get into Tom kerridge new one or the hairy bikers Mediterranean and Rick steins Mexico. the only one I do watch when they are on is master chef / pro mc......not the celeb one. ...Think I must be bored with them lol....

jusnoneed Mon 22-Jan-18 08:30:18

The only ones I watch and enjoy are two Aussie shows, Masterchef and My Kitchen Rules.
The Hairy Bikers I find annoying, Rick Stein has become more of a travel show (and boring) and Nigella pouting and fluttering her eyelashes gets on my nerves. About the only british ones I will occasionally watch (if nothing else on) are Hugh Fernley W and Nigel Slater, but they are mainly repeats these days.
Hate anything on telly that's celeb based and never watch any of them.

TwiceAsNice Mon 22-Jan-18 08:45:54

I don't like any of the professional ones. The only one I like is GBBO

Greyduster Mon 22-Jan-18 09:13:08

I quite like Tom Kerridge. Can’t stand Rick Stein - agree with jusnoneed, I just get the impression he’s not really trying these days - or the Hairy Bikers. I can’t watch anything with Greg Wallace in it.

hildajenniJ Mon 22-Jan-18 10:00:09

I've been watching the Hairy Bikers romp through the the Mediterranean, and enjoying it. Loved Corsica! One thing I noticed though, they have both put on the weight they lost on the Hairy Dieters.
I've been enjoying a show on Netflix called Zumbo's Just Desserts, it's rather like the Great British Bake off in format, it's Australian and Rachel Khoo is one of the judges.

shysal Mon 22-Jan-18 10:03:17

My favourite is also Australian Masterchef. If anyone is interested a new series starts today on the Home (Freeview) channel. I have set my recorder for the daily 10am showing, so that I can watch at my leisure, but it is repeated at 7pm. They are usually a couple of years old but that doesn't bother me.

M0nica Mon 22-Jan-18 10:18:35

I have never watched cookery programmes, Since Delia Smith (and I didn't watch her much). Cookery programmes now are all about cookery as Art, rather than food that feeds and nourish. I suspect these days many people are put off cooking because cookery programmes make it look so difficult or require so many arcane ingredients.

Much prefer The Food Programme on Radio 4, which investigates individual foods, markets, developments and is so informative.

Luckygirl Mon 22-Jan-18 10:21:41

Yawn, yawn - cookery programmes; no thank you!! grin

I am intrigued by the popularity of these programmes when so many more people now eat ready-meals, takeaways or eat out. Very odd.

kittylester Mon 22-Jan-18 10:25:56

There was a food magazine programme years ago - maybe called 'food and Drink' - which was very good. Oz Clarke might have been the wine expert and, while I can picture the other two, I can't remember their name's! I think one was called Chris and might have gone on to do something with Jazz FM.

I'm a mine of partial information!!

It was revived a while ago fronted by Michel Roux Junior - it didn't last!!

I used to love Saturday kitchen with James Martin - well, I love James Martin!! blush I don't enjoy the ITV version though.

Fennel Mon 22-Jan-18 11:25:45

I like the baking programmes. My favourite is Anna Olsen .
She has also done series on savoury cooking, but I find she uses too many ingredients there. As does Jamie Oliver.
I feel like asking Jamie to do a series on planning for recipes - shopping lists, ingredients always to hand from your store cupboard etc.

Shirleyw Mon 22-Jan-18 11:28:03

Oh yes, I remember the original food and
and drink, I thought back then was a bit snobby and couldn't stand gilly goodman or Goldman, forgot surname....but then I was a lot younger and had a different opinion then lol....

kittylester Mon 22-Jan-18 11:32:04

Michael Barry (aka The Crafty Cook) was in it with Oz Clark and Jilly Goolden according to Google. I'm on a mission to find out the name of the other bloke.

Michael Barry helped found Classic FM not Jazz FM- oops!!

jollyg Mon 22-Jan-18 11:33:07

I chanced to see Rick S on Saturday Kitchen once. The format had changed and he was'Cook'

He could not string 2 words together, or work in a 'live' scenario.

Its a travel prog with him, and doesent he do it well.

The old wife runs the Cornwall enterprise, Son is in the kitchen.
Talk about an empire, he has it all,

Sadly Jamie is going the same way, with the pier food.

His restaurants are closing so fast, overpriced, bad service, but Jamie will end up smelling of roses.

MissAdventure Mon 22-Jan-18 11:33:51

The galloping gourmet, my mum used to watch. I quite like Jamie Oliver. None of that fiddling around. Bosh!

kittylester Mon 22-Jan-18 11:35:07

Chris Kelly - also presented wish you were here - according to Google.

I love Jamie's restaurants. Great atmosphere, food and staff.

I also love Carluccio's for the same reasons.

And, they both get GF.

kittylester Mon 22-Jan-18 11:49:27

And children!

MissAdventure Mon 22-Jan-18 11:57:35

The hairy bikers don't look very wholesome to me. It puts me off.

Anniebach Mon 22-Jan-18 12:15:45

Cannot think of anything more boring than a cookery programme sorry.

I did watch Floyd though ?

paddyann Mon 22-Jan-18 12:24:23

didn't like Jamies in Oxford ,in fact the food and service was appalling and when I complained I got a shrug from the staff.I complained in writing about waiting 45 minutes for a startere that arrived overcooked an dry an dstuck to the dish...no reply from that either.I like our local Carluccio's brilliant staff and service and the food is consistent.not brilliant but good for a chain restaurant.I'll watch any food programme thats on TV when I turn it on and find some good ones. I like Rachel ,the Irish girl from Ballymalooe and theres a very good wee Irish guy who is really young and has a great recipe for chilli .I tend to give the big "celeb" chefs a miss as its more about them than the food .

humptydumpty Mon 22-Jan-18 12:34:54

Still love watching Keith Ffloyd on SMK

paddyann Mon 22-Jan-18 14:10:56

Anniebach you should give them a go..might find ways to put some of that weight back on ,or something that will tempt you to eat

Jalima1108 Mon 22-Jan-18 14:16:17

I don't watch them very much nowadays (DH always groans) so I don't mind watching the occasional one if he's busy doing something else.
I quite like Rick Stein's travel programmes, though, spiced up with a bit of food.

Jilly Gooden was on the tv recently on Pointless. Our wine never seems to smell of petrol or trainers on hot tarmac though.

Scribbles Mon 22-Jan-18 16:07:08

Our wine never seems to smell of petrol or trainers on hot tarmac though.

Just as well, Jalima or you'd be entitled to a refund, I think!
Eating food is much more fun than watching programmes about it (but I do listen to R4 The Food Programme occasionally)

humptydumpty Mon 22-Jan-18 17:04:48

sorry to hear about your experience with Jamie's in Oxford paddyann, DD and I go there whenever we want a nice meal, and although therre is a bit of a wait, we've always been very pleased with the food.

Anniebach Mon 22-Jan-18 17:40:25

I doubt it Paddyann, unless they don't use green veg, onions, peppers, cheese , wheat ,