Gransnet forums

Food

Lentils? Help!

(64 Posts)
ecci53 Fri 30-Mar-18 20:03:05

I had to go to a traing day recently and had lentil and sweet potato bake for lunch. Very nice, so I thought I'd try to make it at home. Had never eaten lentils before, they were small, brown roundish things like tiny brown peas. I asked DH, who does the grocery shopping online, to get some lentils. When the shopping came, we found we had a packet labelled 'red lentils' containing what looks like orange coloured flakes. Nothing like the lentils I had on my training day. I guess there must be different types, but I didn't realise. I've tried cooking some, following the directions on the packet, but it turned into a slurry! Anyone know how to use red lentils? Any recipes gratefully received, thanks.

DeeWBW Sun 01-Apr-18 00:04:30

My goodness - how strange! I've just finished preparing an article on lentils for a magazine and will soon (in the next week) be putting a booklet up on the same on Amazon Kindle! While I can't give you a copy of the article, I'll put here the links where I got my information from. Enjoy the read.

www.drgourmet.com/ingredients/lentils.shtml
happyherbivore.com/2012/06/what-are-lentils/
www.jessicagavin.com/what-are-lentils/
www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/lentils/faq-20058072
www.bbcgoodfood.com/glossary/lentils
www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/shopping-storing/food/types-lentils
www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=52

JackyB Sun 01-Apr-18 08:43:39

I like lentil soup made with brown lentils which is a standard weekday meal here in Southern Germany, but I do draw the line at the Swabian dish which includes lentils AND potatoes.

Like the OP I once bought some red lentils by mistake and used them anyway. And like SheilaSue I spent the rest of the day on the loo!
Any takers for half a packet of red lentils?

Catterygirl Sun 01-Apr-18 11:40:29

I make red lentils in a big pan of water and when they are soft I blitz it and add salt, lemon and frankfurters chopped into one inch pieces.

ecci53 Sun 01-Apr-18 17:52:23

Thank you for these links. Really interesting and some great looking recipes.

Franbern Mon 16-Apr-18 13:43:22

I always add red lentils (and grated carrot), to the mince meat when I cook it ready for Shepherds Pie. Not only does this very much bulk out the meat, but helps to make this a much healthier meal. Just a add handful or so, (I rarely do measuring). Once finished dish is prepared no-one (including g.children) know that it contains those two items!!!

M0nica Tue 17-Apr-18 13:44:06

franbern I do that as well, I use it as a meat 'extender' to reduce our meat consumption without out loosing the flavour. I use it in any dish using mince including spaghetti Bolognaise, moussaka and several others.

MillieBear Tue 17-Apr-18 15:07:05

Puy lentils, onions and mushrooms with a beaten egg and some herbs make an excellent 'sausage' meat. To my mind far tastier 'sausage' rolls are produced.

Feelingmyage55 Tue 17-Apr-18 17:08:44

Spicy (to taste) lentils and potatoes with side helping of fresh peas. Yummy, quick and cheap.

metro99 Sat 27-Apr-19 06:09:04

fdsdsfsd

Anja Sat 27-Apr-19 06:25:11

Those were probably puy lentils as mentioned by some already. Theses ready cooked ones by Jamie Oliver are handy to have in.

Anja Sat 27-Apr-19 06:30:21

Yes, a good source of protein st about 18% per 100g, dietary fibre and iron and other minerals.

NUTRITION FACTS
Lentils, boiled
Amount Per 100 grams
Calories 116
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0.4 g0%
Saturated fat 0.1 g0%
Polyunsaturated fat 0.2 g
Monounsaturated fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 0 mg0%
Sodium 2 mg0%
Potassium 369 mg10%
Total Carbohydrate 20 g6%
Dietary fiber 8 g32%
Sugar 1.8 g
Protein 9 g18%
Vitamin A0%Vitamin C2%
Calcium1%Iron18%
Vitamin D0%Vitamin B-610%
Cobalamin0%Magnesium 9%

M0nica Sat 27-Apr-19 09:02:45

I buy lentils and all dried beans and peas in tins. They are an excellent meat 'extender' with mince.

For ecological and other reasons I am reducing the amount of meat we eat and adding a tin of lentils to spag bol, moussaka or a meat loaf isa very easy way to do it.

mrsmopp Tue 30-Apr-19 23:23:29

We like this lentil loaf.
Cook 200grams of red lentils in 450ml of veg stock. While its cooking, fry a chopped onion, chopped red pepper, diced leek, 100g mushrooms, and mix well. Add garlic, parsley and add to the lentils. Mix well, add a beaten egg and 75g grated cheddar cheese and 100g whole meal breadcrumbs.
Add seasoning. Line a loaf tin with grease proof paper and press the mixture into the tin. Bake in oven for an hour gas 5.
Leave to cool and set then turn out and slice it in thick sliced.
It's easy, healthy, cheap and delicious. Make a sauce with tin tomatoes It's versatile - you can use different veg or add nuts etc.