Gransnet forums

Food

Coconut oil for cooking

(32 Posts)
Elrel Sat 31-Mar-18 14:49:18

Please can someone tell me what it is, how to use it and why it's the healthier option?
Should I buy and use it instead of sunflower oil?

Situpstraight Sat 31-Mar-18 15:01:41

I thought that coconut oil is high in Saturated fats and that we should be aiming for the unsaturated kind?

I could be wrong, but I would always go for the oil that has been processed the least ie. olive oil

shysal Sat 31-Mar-18 15:06:29

On a TV programme it was shown that although coconut oil is high in saturated fat it is in fact a healthy option. I can't remember the science behind it or the name of the programme!

Welshwife Sat 31-Mar-18 15:24:23

I use the oil for most things. It is also good for your skin as a moisturiser - not the same jar!!

Situpstraight Sat 31-Mar-18 15:36:32

Welshwife does it taste very strongly of coconut?

Ilovecheese Sat 31-Mar-18 15:42:22

That's what I was wondering too welshwife

MissAdventure Sat 31-Mar-18 15:50:58

Its fairly bland tasting. Not too nutty.

Welshwife Sat 31-Mar-18 15:57:48

I can never taste it when the dish is finished.

Menopaws Sat 31-Mar-18 17:28:36

Hemp oil is a lovely one too, no drugs involved but nutty and very versatile, use it for everything

Bathsheba Sat 31-Mar-18 18:40:44

I was using coconut oil for everything cooking wise until I looked at a comparison chart of cooking oils, which clearly showed that it's way higher in saturates than just about any other oil on the planet. This kind of put me off! And then there have been reports that olive oil should only be used as a dressing, not for cooking, because it has a low smoke point and can become carcinogenic if overheated. Although that might be just extra virgin olive oil, not sure...
I think canola and avocado oil are the recommended oils for frying, roasting, baking etc, because of their higher smoke points.
Tip: try adding a large knob of coconut oil into sweet potato mash, along with a good shake of cinnamon - it is delicious!

Squiffy Sat 31-Mar-18 18:45:30

If you use raw, organic coconut oil it's lovely for coconut rice and you can definitely taste the coconut. Just put a blob in a saucepan and toss the uncooked rice in it over the heat for a few minutes and then gradually add boiling water to cook it in. Be very careful when adding the water as it will release a lot of steam initially! I also add vegetable stock granules (Marigold) to add to the flavour.

Greyduster Sat 31-Mar-18 18:58:16

It’s very good for soothing insect bites and small cuts and grazes. I have been peculiarly loathe to try cooking with it though - dunno why.

Bathsheba Sat 31-Mar-18 19:18:40

My GD is currently suffering from chicken pox, and I've just been reading about the benefits of applying coconut oil to the blisters, because of its antibacterial and antiviral properties. So that little pearl has been relayed to my DD and she'll be doing that after her DD's bath tonight smile

NanKate Sat 31-Mar-18 19:24:27

Coconut oil is being used as an ingredient in many food products now as it is cheaper than some other oils. My GS who has many food allergies such as nuts, fish, eggs. We now have to check all products in case they have changed to coconut oil as he has a reaction within a few minutes of consuming it. Many ice creams now have coconut oil. So if you or your GC have but allergies please be aware of
coconut oil.

It was a new ingredient in a fruit pouch and my GS’s eyes were swollen in minutes.

This is meant as a helpful warning.

Jalima1108 Sat 31-Mar-18 20:08:22

You used to be able to buy coconut oil in blocks like lard - I did use it years ago but never felt that it was very healthy.

Olive oil is fine for cooking unless it is the virgin olive oil which has a low smoking point. Personally I prefer organic rapeseed oil for cooking.

Thanks for the warning NanKate

Hm999 Sat 31-Mar-18 20:38:40

"Coconut'ssaturated fat is made up of a unique blend of medium-chain fatty acids, which may offer certainhealth benefits. (Most fats in our diet are long-chain fatty acids). ... When it comes to your heart,coconut oilis a healthier fat than butter and trans fat, and it's cholesterol-free." says the internet so it must be true

Barmeyoldbat Sat 31-Mar-18 20:57:37

I always use Olive Oil or Repseed oil both low in stats.

Smithy Sat 31-Mar-18 21:32:30

I read somewhere that sunflower oil is the worst kind of cooking oil, not good for you at all, and that rapeseed is the best for cooking.

Welshwife Sat 31-Mar-18 21:49:12

Except that rapeseed has so many fertilisers and weed killers srayed on it during the growing season and I understand they plant retains these.

Bathsheba Sat 31-Mar-18 21:50:50

Here are the comparison charts of saturated and unsaturated fats in various oils, for anyone who may be interested. Link to the full article below

www.livescience.com/59893-which-cooking-oils-are-healthiest.html

Deedaa Sat 31-Mar-18 21:51:31

Coconut oil has more saturated fat but doesn't produce the carcinogens that vegetable oils like sunflower and olive oil produce when heated. Olive oil should be kept for dressings unless it is refined.

Jalima1108 Sat 31-Mar-18 22:58:59

Except that rapeseed has so many fertilisers and weed killers srayed on it during the growing season and I understand they plant retains these.

Organic rapeseed oil shouldn't have been sprayed with weed killers.

Elrel Sat 31-Mar-18 23:50:13

Thanks, everyone. I saw it mentioned last night on BBC tv's 'Food Unwrapped'.

M0nica Sun 01-Apr-18 20:57:09

I use organic rapeseed oil, grown and processed locally for cooking as well as cold

Coconut oil is just a passing fashion. Next year the fuss will all be about another oil that is currently only used in Aztec cooking or something equally arcane. We will be told how healthy it is even though it is totally monounsaturated fat free. Then the year after that.....................................

Jalima1108 Mon 02-Apr-18 13:08:01

My Sis-IL used to plaster herself with coconut oil before sunbathing.