Gransnet forums

Food

Roadkill- look away vegans and vegetarians

(59 Posts)
Teetime Sat 21-Apr-18 16:10:00

On HIGNFY Janet Street-Porter (a woman who loves to shock) says she eats roadkill. Does anyone really do this unless starving/very poor? Its OK I expect there to be some who will have a go at me for being precious.

Luckygirl Sat 21-Apr-18 16:48:46

A pheasant once. Nice not to have to pick out the lead shot.

sparkly1000 Sat 21-Apr-18 16:50:52

Not precious at all Teetime. I have retrieved and eaten freshly road killed pheasants as long as they have been untouched by carrion. Taken them home, hung and subsequently plucked them.
I am neither starving nor poor. However, you really do need to know what you're doing with game birds.

Teetime Sat 21-Apr-18 17:10:18

My query would be how do you know if they are disease free?

lemongrove Sat 21-Apr-18 17:12:08

Not knowing is the problem!
I wouldn't do it.

aggie Sat 21-Apr-18 17:15:56

wasn't there an episode of Doc Martin where people were dropping like flies from a mystery complaint ? and it was due to eating roadkill , wouldn't appeal to me

shysal Sat 21-Apr-18 17:20:18

My father would eat pheasants too, but only if he had seen them killed. He would hang them first in the garage until the backside turned green!!

janeainsworth Sat 21-Apr-18 18:27:29

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carol_Ruckdeschel
Carol Ruckdeschel is an American environmentalist who saved Cumberland Island, off the coast of Georgia, from the depredations of developers.
She lived mainly off roadkill and foraging wild plants.
I personally wouldn’t fancy roadkill, but logically, unless you’re vegetarian, it’s no different from picking blackberries and eating them for pudding.

merlotgran Sat 21-Apr-18 18:37:15

We've eaten roadkill pheasants and a friend once presented us with a Muntjac deer that was not badly damaged.

Not a lot of meat but delicious.

hildajenniJ Sat 21-Apr-18 19:09:22

My DH once knocked down and killed a deer. He called the police to report it and stayed where he was until they arrived. After replying the collision he came home. Next day he called our insurer and a claims assessor came out to look at the damage on the car. The chap that came to assess the damage asked if my DH had taken the deer. Well he didn't, it was a fully grown animal and it wouldn't have fitted into the car.
Who would butcher it for you, and what would it cost, I wonder? Apparently it is legal to collect road kill deer.

SueDonim Sat 21-Apr-18 19:43:25

It happens where I live, particularly with deer. However, it's illegal for anyone who has collided with an animal to take the body, presumably to prevent people deliberately targeting animals. (Mind you, my son once hit a deer by accident. It caused nearly £1000 worth of damage to my car so I wouldn't be deliberately trying to hit anything!)

midgey Sat 21-Apr-18 20:45:49

I am pretty sure the law says you may take road kill but not if you were the one who did the killing!

shysal Sat 21-Apr-18 21:00:22

Last week I had the opportunity to test the deer whistle which I fitted to my car after reading about them on GN. A trio of Roe deer stopped at the edge of the field from which they were about to emerge. I had spotted them so I slowed down anyway, but they would normally have kept on running across the road which could have caused a nasty accident.

Iam64 Sat 21-Apr-18 21:45:56

I'm not a veggie or a vegan. I outrage my vegan friends by explaining how hard I try to only eat free range, well cared for etc but they just continue to explain just how wicked I'm being.
I wouldn't eat road kill because whilst I'd know the fowl or beast had led a free and happy life till it was killed, I'd have no idea what it had been eating, how old it was and whether it was carrying some horrible disease.
I find Janet SP increasingly irritating.

Jalima1108 Sat 21-Apr-18 22:16:59

I remember when J S-P was on Master Chef and boasted about eating road kill.

If you hit an animal you can't take the remains but the next person who comes along is entitled to do so, or so I heard.

Not that we ever have as the thought of eating something like that makes me feel very queasy. I never fancy eating sausages made from wild boar as I'm sure the boar are full of worms.

BlueBelle Sat 21-Apr-18 22:28:45

I don’t drive so it has never happened but I wouldn’t think twice about eating roadkill if I had You would eat a fish you caught and you wouldn’t know if that had a disease or not so I see no difference It’s better than it going to waste. All the poachers and country folk who have lived off roaming animals didn’t drop dead ?

Synonymous Sun 22-Apr-18 00:32:13

Teetime we have often eaten road kill. We actually have a pheasant in the pot right now which has been prepared for Sunday lunch. It was last week when the car in front clouted it and we stopped and picked it up. It was hanging in the garage for nearly a week, was not badly damaged and as we always pluck and skin it we could see it was fine and stomach contents were normal too. It has been cooking today with all the usual additions including half a bottle of Merlot - so all good, nothing wasted and looking forward to a nice meal tomorrow. smile

If the person who killed it had picked it up it would have been 'Taking game without a licence' - which is poaching funnily enough. We were entitled to pick it up as we didn't kill it and it was 'abandoned property' - strange but true. All according to my DH. grin

Synonymous Sun 22-Apr-18 00:42:09

Iam my pheasant was thoroughly checked by DH and was in very good health - before it literally got bumped off that is. hmm

Jalima - ref the worms that is why they tell you to cook porcine animals very well. If you do that you shouldn't worry about worms -I suppose it just adds to the protein! You may be able to work out that I am a country girl. grin

moxeyns Sun 22-Apr-18 09:00:55

Yes. Whenever I come across something fresh. A terrible waste of a life otherwise.
Last find was a mutjac deer; it made me 5 mvery delicious meals.

tiredoldwoman Sun 22-Apr-18 09:07:57

My sister's just back from New Zealand . She saw on a sign at a roadside cafe 'If you kill it, we can grill it ' .

Jaycee5 Sun 22-Apr-18 09:46:09

Where I used to live in Canada we would see a lot of roadkill, racoons and suchlike.
The worst was skunk but you didn't have to see that. It really it an indescribably awful smell. You have to wind your windows up quickly or it will get in the car and it attaches to things.
I don't eat meat but I don't see anything ethically wrong with eating roadkill (except the problem that people may deliberately hit animals as SueDonim has pointed out). In fact it is more ethical if an animal has died by accident. I would worry about diseases though.

JaneD3 Sun 22-Apr-18 09:46:47

My nephew collects deer and hangs and butchers them himself. He makes venison sausages too. Also eats squirrel and badger ...

maryhoffman37 Sun 22-Apr-18 09:48:06

I'm a vegetarian, so yuck, no.

Nanna58 Sun 22-Apr-18 09:54:03

Does any one remember the saying “ you are what you eat .....”?

Nanna58 Sun 22-Apr-18 09:58:06

Talking specifically about JSP , not you lovelies , I’ve eaten some of the above , it’s just given her propensity for liking to make an impact I hanged a horrible picture of her eating much worse!