Gransnet forums

Food

What foods have you only started to eat in later life?

(61 Posts)
Sazz1006 Thu 03-May-18 14:44:44

At the tender age of 61, I have started to eat beetroot for the first time in my life! I think I was put off by the vinegary stuff being put on our school dinner plates with mashed potatoes that stained the potatoes pink and have never eaten it until recently.
The other things I really would like to like and am revving myself up for trying are boiled or poached eggs. They look so tempting but I just can’t bring myself to eat egg white! I quite enjoy scrambled egg or the occasional omelette.
Anyone else liking a type of food for the first time?

tanith Thu 03-May-18 14:54:11

Never liked asparagus, but I bought one of those veg selection trays with tender stem asparagus, baby carrots and brocilli shoots and I really enjoyed it so I’ll be buying again.

rascal Thu 03-May-18 14:58:11

I have had to eat only gluten free food because I was diagnosed with Coeliac Disease.

Greyduster Thu 03-May-18 15:00:13

Quinoa. In fact, all sorts of whole grains.

Bathsheba Thu 03-May-18 15:04:37

Rooibos tea and sweet potatoes. Love them both! Oh and coconut oil. I can't think of anything else that I've taken to eating or drinking in latter years, but I'm sure there must be others.

cavewoman Thu 03-May-18 15:05:00

Olives. Always thought I couldn't stand them, but after a wine tasting charity evening with not much else to nibble on, I have developed an absolute passion for them.

Panache Thu 03-May-18 15:32:18

Indeed as a result of repeated Cancers I changed my entire diet mid way through life,eating mainly organic fruit and veggies, mainly in their raw form with whole grains,pulses,fish oils,nut oils together with juicing becoming my greatest friend.
It only needed putting mind over matter and knuckling down to the very different tastes..........a juice made with kale is very much different to one with oranges, yet possibly of greater nutritional value!

As a youngster I had not enjoyed much of a varied diet so I had to make a lot of changes,once you know they are for the better nutritionally, you feel a million dollars and just get on with it!!
I was very "picky" eater as a child, so since these changes I have enjoyed a lot of new tastes.............surprising myself let me tell you!

wildswan16 Thu 03-May-18 16:22:51

Sweet potatoes, don't know why I hadn't tried them before. Kale/spinach for their health benefits. Ground up sunflower and pumpkin seeds in my morning porridge. Green tea.

Still haven't managed to pluck up the courage for .. garlic, tomatoes, peppers or chilis.

Jalima1108 Thu 03-May-18 16:32:12

Sweet potatoes and butternut squash or pumpkin.

Niobe Thu 03-May-18 16:41:54

Always hated cheese but love it now.

shandi6570 Thu 03-May-18 16:54:12

Olives for me too, although I am the only one in my family to enjoy them so I don't have them very often. Fell in love with them after eating my first greek salad some years ago.

Oh, and celeriac.

TerriBull Thu 03-May-18 16:56:03

Avocados, Rocket, Sweet Potatoes, Leeks, Nectarines in the summer by far my favourite fruit these days, porridge, only because it fills me up for 3 hours or so, I'm not actually that mad on it, Greek Yogurt, Cous Cous.

shysal Thu 03-May-18 17:04:55

Figs. Always thought they looked unappetizing, but they are delicious!

Nanabilly Thu 03-May-18 17:19:22

Raspberries and spinach.

MillieBear Thu 03-May-18 17:28:48

Hummus, preferably by the bucket load! grin

Willow500 Thu 03-May-18 17:33:39

Definitely olives - I eat loads of them now. Also cheddar cheese - I never ate cheese for years but like nothing better than crusty bread, an apple and large chunk of cheese!

SueDonim Thu 03-May-18 18:19:37

I think I've tried most things as they've become available. I'm not hugely fond of fish so haven't tried all the varieties available nowadays.

I've eaten pretty much most kinds of fruit and veg and I have a bottle of kefir in the fridge to try.

Otherwise, my most recent experiment has been with beef from Highland cattle. It was excellent. It's produced locally and is no more expensive than supermarket equivalents.

paddyann Thu 03-May-18 18:27:01

known locally as Hairy Coo beef SueDonim its excellent meat great flavor and texture .

SueDonim Thu 03-May-18 19:03:28

grin Paddyann! Thankfully, there were no hairs - or horns - in it! I drew the line at an ox tail, though.

It is indeed flavoursome. I made a spag bol with the mince. It came out akin to the bolognaise you'd get in a good Italian restaurant.

I also bought a braising cut that was new to me. It made an excellent meal and enough left over for stovies!

Chewbacca Thu 03-May-18 19:40:47

I've found the opposite as I've got older. I used to eat anything and everything; never was a fussy eater. But since my 60s, I found that food I used to enjoy, I can no longer abide. I suspect that I'm a nightmare to cook for because the list of foods I no longer like is fast outstripping the list of those that I do. fruit, carrots, beetroot, peppers, offal, pork, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, cauliflower, sardines ........

Maggiemaybe Thu 03-May-18 20:24:52

All the things that I’ve discovered relatively recently. Quinoa, avocados, sweet potatoes, cheese strings, harissa, salted caramel, flavoured gins (particularly salted caramel and flavoured gins grin). To be honest, I’ve always eaten anything apart from offal and whelks, and I’m not going to be tempted by either of them anytime soon.

Maggiemaybe Thu 03-May-18 20:26:00

Oh, and fatty meat. envy

Jalima1108 Thu 03-May-18 20:28:08

avocados
We do eat avocados regularly but DS reminded me that I used to make them eat avocados when they were young 'because they are good for you'!
He had a name for them which I couldn't possibly repeat on here grin

seacliff Thu 03-May-18 20:48:20

I've only been eating Halloumi for about 5 years, just love it.

Also baby spinach in a salad, Greek Yoghurt, pine nuts, edamame beans, sugar snap peas.

NanKate Thu 03-May-18 21:09:33

Couscous and I have had so much of it in salad pots from M and S, that I would happily never eat it again. I am cous coused out ?