Gransnet forums

Food

Very stupid question re doughnuts!

(42 Posts)
fourormore Wed 18-Jul-18 09:56:07

This is a silly question and I think I know the answer but has anyone ever tried to freeze doughnuts?
Our local supermarket sells absolutely divine doughnuts but in packs of five!
I am trying to lose weight and my system is to diet all week but have a treat on Sunday when I could spoil myself with a doughnut, but more than one is a definite NO-NO!!!

shysal Wed 18-Jul-18 09:59:25

Yes, I buy 5-packs and freeze them individually in cling film. For a quick defrost microwave for a few seconds.
I hope your willpower is better than mine as one at a time is never enough!

Greyduster Wed 18-Jul-18 10:16:47

I wish you hadn’t told me that! Now, I shall have to let DH break the ‘doughnuts are forbidden’ rule just to try it out!

NanaandGrampy Wed 18-Jul-18 10:57:37

I love the idea. Chocolate is my downfall and I once froze a box of chocolates with the idea I would only eat one a day as a treat …..then I found out they were equally nice frozen..... :-) Goodbye that idea !!

jusnoneed Wed 18-Jul-18 11:01:44

I have seen ready frozen doughnuts in the supermarket freezer, never tried them so cannot say if they are good or not.

kittylester Wed 18-Jul-18 11:33:55

I once bought a box of flakes with the of making '99s'. I put them in the freezer - then discovered they were delicious frozen!

tanith Wed 18-Jul-18 12:01:31

Oh no don’t tell me that, I love the confectioners custard ones but never buy them, as has been said they come in fives and OH will only eat jam ones meaning you know what?. Now I know I can freeze them ?

Did you also know if you pop stale ones in the microwave for a few secs they soften up again!

jenpax Wed 18-Jul-18 12:06:51

I hate the idea of forbidden food ?surely in moderation nothing should be forbidden food?

M0nica Wed 18-Jul-18 12:07:06

Just freeze some and see. I find this is a good general rule and I am notorious for being prepared to freeze, anything and everything. If it doesn't work throw them away - but I cannot see why it shouldn't.

Kateykrunch Wed 18-Jul-18 12:14:01

Just be aware that some bakery items have already been frozen and therefore should not be re-freezed!

fourormore Wed 18-Jul-18 12:33:13

Thank you all! That wasn't the answer I was expecting as we wondered if they would go soggy when defrosting.
Oh Jenpax - I hate the idea of forbidden food too as that makes it so much more tempting - whereas if I can freeze these lovely doughnuts I can have one on Sindays
(Yes I did mean SINdays! grin)
The ones I am talking about are fresh from the store bakery so haven't already been frozen - looking good!
Thanks everyone!

Oopsadaisy53 Wed 18-Jul-18 12:38:07

I often freeze them, in the the forlorn hope that I will take one out every now and again or wait until the GCs visit, however, I have been known to eat them before they are even cold......all of them!

Purpledaffodil Wed 18-Jul-18 15:25:48

I used to make iced traybake sponges with sprinkles on top for vanilla ones and drinking chocolate granules for the chocolate ones. They were cut up and intended for DC lunchboxes. Worked well until DS 1 got a taste for frozen sponge cake....?

fourormore Wed 18-Jul-18 18:19:16

Where is our willpower !!! grin grin grin

gmelon Wed 18-Jul-18 18:27:53

This calls for action. You simply must go and buy a pack right away. freeze one for research sake.
The rest of them..........well {grin}.

gmelon Wed 18-Jul-18 18:28:27

or even grin

Nelliemoser Wed 18-Jul-18 18:40:16

A solution is. Do no buy the flipping doughnuts in the first place. Or look at the calories and change to a much less calorific snack.

One doughnut (66g)

Energy
1047kJ 250kcal
13%
Fat
12.8g
18%
Saturates
3.9g
20%
Sugars
9.4g
10%
Salt
0.4g
7%
of the reference intake*
Typical values per 100g: Energy 1587.10kJ (379.40kcal)

Paste that food lable on the door of your fridge. I rest my case.

Allegretto Wed 18-Jul-18 19:00:08

Mum. 250 calories. I find myself working out how many donuts I could eat in a day. If I didn’t eat anything else, could I eat them and gain no weight....?

Allegretto Wed 18-Jul-18 19:00:36

Mmm. (Not Mum!)

NfkDumpling Wed 18-Jul-18 19:15:23

Thank you Nellie, I was just remembering the frozen ones I used to buy and feeling tempted! DH bought a French stick for lunch today and it had the calories on the side. I hadn’t noticed that before and it shocked me. I seemed to have consumed 500 calories just in French stick without the butter, cheese and jam!

lemongrove Wed 18-Jul-18 22:57:33

Donuts are calorie free.....everybody knows that!
The only ones I like are the ring type with slivers of sugar on top.
Although, I have been known to demolish the squidgy type with jam in the middle, and they have no calories either, in fact they are good for you.
One a day keeps the doctor away.wink

maryhoffman37 Thu 19-Jul-18 09:43:02

I really don't like doughnuts! I hate the claggy feeling on my palate. It's the crisps and nuts and all other savoury nibbles that are my downfall.

granfromafar Thu 19-Jul-18 11:21:42

I'm the same as maryhoffman and actually don't like doughnuts so am never tempted. Find them too sweet. Now dark chocolate, that's another matter and altogether!

GabriellaG Thu 19-Jul-18 11:58:18

Fresh from tbe store bakery means frozen, shipped then cooked/heated/ baked in store.

SiobhanSharpe Thu 19-Jul-18 12:09:27

So, absolutely fine to freeze once cooked then.
(because if they were cooked instore from frozen it means the raw dough was frozen, not the finished product. )
And in fact people get their knickers in a twist quite unnecessarily about freezing things twice -- it generally means that there might be some loss of texture or flavour, but that's all -- in the case of bakery goods, anyway.
Raw fish -- not such a good idea, but IME doughnuts emerge from the freezer rather well, even ones glazed ones. Go for it.