Gransnet forums

Food

sweet potatoes.

(26 Posts)
Fennel Mon 23-Jul-18 16:38:48

By mistake I bought a packet of sweet potato sticks in Tesco, thinking the were carrot.
I used them in a chicken casserole and they disintegrated into a grainy mush, spoiling the gravy. confused
Are they any good for anything?

TwiceAsNice Mon 23-Jul-18 16:41:18

They are quite nice done as wedges in the oven. Cut them into thick chip like shapes drizzle oil over them and bake

ninathenana Mon 23-Jul-18 16:52:04

I think most potatoes would disintigrate if casseroled cut into battons. Sweet potatoes are good done as TwiceasNice says. I have cut them into large chunks and cooked in casserole and they were fine.
Healthy too.

MiniMoon Mon 23-Jul-18 17:07:13

I put them in curries, but as nina says cut into large chunks. They do not take as long as regular potatoes to cook. I've also made mash with them, and served them along with ordinary mashed potatoes to go with a casserole.

goose1964 Mon 23-Jul-18 17:09:03

I'm not too keen but occasionally have them baked, then mashed with lashings of caribbean hot sauce.

mimiro Mon 23-Jul-18 17:13:43

sweet tater fires yum/dip in mayo yummier.
spray oil is a great way to"fry"anything in oven.
i have converted all my recipes that will convert.

mimiro Mon 23-Jul-18 17:15:38

mash with a bit of milk or cream,butter salt and pepper.a fall staple in my house.

Fennel Mon 23-Jul-18 17:20:48

Thanks for the ideas. Are they nutritious?

Synonymous Mon 23-Jul-18 17:36:01

Fennel I am not surprised that you didn't like sweet potato done like that. grin In any case 'new to you' foods can always be an acquired taste.
Baked sweet potato is lovely and contains lower carbs than potaoes. Roasted sweet potato made really crispy is very good as are batons made as oven roasted chips as long as your oven is hot enough. You can use mashed sweet potato for topping in the same way as mashed potato. If you have a sweet tooth there is little to beat a North Carolina sweet potato casserole but the fact that sweet potato is low carb is completely shot with all the added sugar! Far too sweet for me but DH loves it.

gillybob Mon 23-Jul-18 17:40:23

Sweet potato mashed with sour cream is delicious. Sweet potato fries or wedges done in the oven with a little oil are really good too .

Grannyknot Mon 23-Jul-18 17:43:01

I love sweet potatoes, they are so versatile.

I love them:

Especially in a lamb curry or stew. They cook a lot quicker than white potatoes so they need to be added later in the process.

They are great cut into chunks and roasted and added to bulk out vegetarian lasagne (with whatever ratatouille mix you use).

Or sometimes I add the cold roast leftover chunks to a salad, with feta.

I bake them with the skins on, and serve them with sour cream.

Just made myself hungry!

FlexibleFriend Mon 23-Jul-18 17:44:14

I put them in chunky veggie homemade soup, my Son likes sweet potato chips but I don't, each to their own.

merlotgran Mon 23-Jul-18 18:13:04

We've just had a Sweet Potato Curry. No need for rice so low in carbs.

BlueBelle Mon 23-Jul-18 18:30:58

They are a soft potato so need a lot less cooking than white potatoes They are lovely boiled for a short period, fried, mashed in wedges, curries very versatile There is also a variety of white instead of orangey red sweet potato that I like even better but I can’t buy it many places

Bathsheba Mon 23-Jul-18 18:46:25

Try boiling, then mashing sweet potatoes with a little coconut oil (in place of butter/spread) and cinnamon. Really lovely!

lilypollen Mon 23-Jul-18 19:03:23

Recipe in Tesco magazine suggested baked sweet potatoes, will definitely give that a try.

Jalima1108 Mon 23-Jul-18 19:33:50

As chips or cut into chunks and roasted.

I have also baked them (sometimes in the microwave) as an alternative to normal potato.
Mashed with ordinary potato for a topping for cottage or shepherd's pie.

Added to soups, they make the soup very smooth.

MiniMoon Mon 23-Jul-18 23:56:57

Sweet potato and red pepper soup is lovely in the autumn.

Alexa Tue 24-Jul-18 09:48:19

Sweet potatoes are particularly useful for oven baking as the chunks, drizzled with oil, bake in a very short time, and retain their form.

In my experience they are no good for soup or otherwise cooking in water.

humptydumpty Tue 24-Jul-18 10:45:32

Love sweet potatoes; not only taste good and are nutritious, but lower calories than 'ordinary' potatoes.

Fennel Tue 24-Jul-18 21:13:26

So many ideas!
Maybe I'll give them another chance , but not in a slow casserole.

OldMeg Tue 24-Jul-18 21:38:13

I can’t eat white/normal potatoes so sweet potatoes are a great substitute - mashed or as wedges.

GrandmaMoira Wed 25-Jul-18 10:45:27

Sweet potatoes have a lower GI than normal potatoes so better for blood sugar. Eating these is equal to eating brown instead of white for bread/pasta/rice.
Mixing sweet and ordinary potatoes together for mash is a compromise for those who are not too keen.

M0nica Wed 25-Jul-18 11:17:40

The more frequently I am given sweet potato, and it is not that often, but they turned up as chips in a recent restaurant meal, the more I realise how much I dislike them.

They have no flavour, just a vague sweetness - I do NOT have a sweet tooth and disintegrate on your tongue into a textureless texture.

JackyB Wed 25-Jul-18 11:27:14

Is a sweet potato the same as a yam?