Gransnet forums

Food

Remoska method

(4 Posts)
winterwhite Thu 09-Aug-18 08:23:46

Partly on the basis of good write-ups on past threads I’m on the verge of getting a Remoska, but unsure from the book I have how easy it would be to adjust the cooking times to allow for morning preparation for evening reheating.
I often like to choose something that I can prepare in the morning, leave in fridge during day then heat in oven in the evening. Remoska cooking times seem calculated to cook straight from the pan, I.e. hottish to start with. Do you think my method would work? Experimenting with a few mins either way not a problem, but it would be a downer if the Remoska could only produce something with the sauce boiling and the rest lukewarm.
Any other Remoska tips v welcome before I plunge.

ContraryMary88 Thu 09-Aug-18 09:14:06

I would read the reviews on this product from other users, some think they are wonderful.
I had to google it to see what it was, a small ‘oven’ type of pan it seems, so I guess if you would put food in the oven, then put it in the fridge to heat later then I would imagine it would be the same with this? Expensive bit of kit though.

Grannyknot Thu 09-Aug-18 11:39:04

Would it not be just as easy to use a slow cooker ...?

polyester57 Sun 26-Aug-18 21:01:57

I meant to reply to this when originally posted but was away at my summer cottage with limited access to the internet. I live in the Czech Republic where the Remoska originally comes from. Just as a matter of interest, it was brought to the UK by Lady Milena Grenfell-Baines, who was one of the children brought to the UK at the outset of WWII by Sir Nicholas Winton. Here, we have been using Remoskas since the early 1950´s, so my mother had one before me and I have been using mine for at least twenty years. At the summer cottage I cook everything on a two ring hotplate and the Remoska, which does everything an oven would. I love it. You can do stews, roasts, sautés, bakes, even cakes. Back to the OP, it can heat things up, and no, the sauce will not be bubbling and the meat still cold. It works more or less like a conventional oven, so food does start to crisp up fairly quickly. Mine is an older model so does not have heat control, it is either on or off. It does not work like a slow cooker, you more or less have to be around to check how your cooking is doing. You can certainly switch off and finish at a later time. My only gripe would be that the lid is almost impossible to clean, as it contains the electrical element, it cannot be immersed in water, only wiped down with a damp cloth. If you have any more queries, you can certainly ask me.