Gransnet forums

Food

Roasted tomatoes dilemma

(7 Posts)
Silverlining47 Fri 28-Sep-18 19:14:59

I live in France where there is an abundance of tomatoes at this time of year and I roast batches to make sauce to keep in the freezer.
I have just done this as usual roasting them for 2 hours at 180° and find it has completely removed the non stick coating from the roasting pan......although the tomatoes look fine.
I put the tomatoes cut side down and drizzled oil over them. I usually oil the pan first but forgot this time.
Has anyone had this happen? I have used the pan many times before.

Riverwalk Fri 28-Sep-18 19:31:45

Two hours at 180 and cut side down? I'm surprised there are any tomatoes left!

Nannarose Fri 28-Sep-18 20:39:03

I think it's the acid from the tomatoes reacting with the non-stick coating.

cavewoman Fri 28-Sep-18 20:44:49

180 is much too high! Mine are on 100 max.

Farmor15 Fri 28-Sep-18 20:49:34

I too think it’s a combination of acid, temperature and time. We have lots of tomatoes and I roast them, but in an enamel tray and only for about an hour at about 200 C.

Melanieeastanglia Fri 28-Sep-18 21:47:16

I used to have umpteen tomatoes where I used to live. I used to just pick them and freeze them. Three of them in each plastic bag. No cooking involved and they can be used for tomato sauces or any kind of casserole.

Doing this may save you the bother of roasting them.

If you particularly wish to cook them first, why not just boil them with a little seasoned water on the hob.

Farmor15 Fri 28-Sep-18 23:02:56

Roasting changes the flavour - makes them tastier and also evaporates some of the water so you can make a more concentrated tomato purée.