Gransnet forums

Food

I wonder if Grandmanorm still looks in on Gransnet. (Christmas cake recipe contributor)

(28 Posts)
Gonegirl Thu 01-Nov-18 12:40:04

I've been making her delicious Christmas Cake for several years now. I don't think it can be beaten. ?https://www.gransnet.com/recipes/dish/5718-Christmas-cake-recipe

Gonegirl Thu 01-Nov-18 12:41:25

I've no idea how to make that link work. www.gransnet.com/recipes/dish/5718-Christmas-cake-recipe

Gonegirl Thu 01-Nov-18 12:41:42

Yay!

oldbatty Fri 02-Nov-18 19:34:40

Ah, I was contemplating trying to make a cake, maybe Delia's Creole cake. But this one comes highly recommended?

Gonegirl Fri 02-Nov-18 19:38:03

Oh yes. It's a classic.

Gonegirl Fri 02-Nov-18 19:41:55

Oh I could so eat a bit now!

oldbatty Fri 02-Nov-18 19:48:05

Is it idiot proof?

Telly Fri 02-Nov-18 19:53:11

My go to cake is Delias, but perhaps this might be worth a try!

Buffybee Fri 02-Nov-18 20:03:21

Might have a go at this. I like the idea of someone in 1966 getting the recipe from her friends Grandmother. So the recipe, I guess must be about 100 years old.
Perfect to make in year of the 100 year celebration of the end of the war.
The only thing I don't understand is the double layers of brown paper, won't it burn?
Btw I've only ever made one Christmas Cake before, about 40 years ago. ?

Gonegirl Fri 02-Nov-18 20:51:32

No, the paper doesn't burn. It stops the outside of the cake over-cooking while the middle bit cooks through. You always put double brown paper round the tin with a Xmas cake. Tie it with string.

Buffybee Fri 02-Nov-18 23:51:13

Ok! Will do! Thanks!
Wish me luck! ?

mumofmadboys Sat 03-Nov-18 08:33:17

I made ours yesterday from an old Stork recipe book I always use. Looks almost identical.

Maggiemaybe Sat 03-Nov-18 08:53:29

Delia’s Creole cake is delicious, oldbatty. I’ve made it for years and get loads of compliments. In fact, I’m planning on starting mine today. You’ve to soak all your fruit in copious amounts of spirits and liqueurs (I just use whatever we have available) and if there’s enough left over after you’ve stirred and “tested” it many, many times, the other ingredients go in and it gets baked a week later. blush

oldbatty Sat 03-Nov-18 09:01:48

Maggie, can I possibly get this wrong? Slightly worried about wasting my money and ending up with a burnt offering.

Maggiemaybe Sat 03-Nov-18 09:29:07

I don’t think you can, oldbatty. Well, I haven’t so far, and that says a lot!

Maggiemaybe Sat 03-Nov-18 09:36:20

I used to follow the recipe to the letter, but my last year’s had Amaretto in and, if my memory serves me right, the dregs of a bottle of peach schnapps. ? It always turns out well.

Gonegirl Sat 03-Nov-18 10:00:43

Oldbatty, no, you can't go wrong with this recipe. (It would be hard to really spoil any rich fruit cake)

Gonegirl Sat 03-Nov-18 10:10:20

I think some old men can develop a weird sense of humour. Definitely forget it. Put it in a balloon and let it float away. Of course you're not ugly. daft old git

Gonegirl Sat 03-Nov-18 10:11:48

Oh! I seem to be on the wrong thread! So sorry!

HurdyGurdy Sat 03-Nov-18 10:17:48

Is the brown paper referred to some kind of special baking brown paper, or just normal parcel type brown paper. The recipe really appeals to me, and I don't want to spoil it because I've used the wrong paper!

Gonegirl Sat 03-Nov-18 10:21:43

No. Any thick paper will do. It's just to keep the direct heat away from the outer edges of the cake. I have a double strip I have used several times. Think it originally came from an Amazon package as padding.

annsixty Sat 03-Nov-18 10:30:04

For those of you who like to bake, I posted this last year but a reminder won't go amiss.

Jose Cuervo Christmas cookies.

I cup of water
1 teas baking powder
1 cup sugar
1teas salt
1 cup brown sugar
4 large eggs
1 cup nuts
2 cups dried fruit
1 bottle Jose Cuervo Tequila

Sample the Cuervo to check quality
Take a large bowl, check Cuervo again.
Turn on the electric mixer
Beat one cup butter in a large fluffy bowl.

Add one peastoon of sugar, Beat again.
At this point its best to make sure the Cuervo is still ok.
Try another cup just in case.

Turn off the mixery thing.

Break 2 leggs and add to the bowl.
Then chuck in a cup of dried fruit.

Pick the frigging fruit off the floor.

Mix on the turner.

If the dried fruit gets gets stuck in the beaters, just try to prise it loose with a drewsciver.

Check the Cuervo for tonsisticity.

Next sift 2cups of salt or something.

Who gives a sheet. Check the Cuervo
Now sift the lemon juice and strain your nuts.

Add one table
Add a spoon of sugar or anything you can find.

Greashe the oven.

Turn the cake tin 360degrees, try not to fall over.

Dont forget to beat off the turner

Finally, throw the bowl through the window.
Finish off the Cose Juervo and make sure to put the stove in the wishdasher.

Enjoy??

EllanVannin Sat 03-Nov-18 10:44:42

You can't beat a home-made Christmas cake. There's not one bought one which matches them !
I made one every year religiously and even made the same recipe ( in three tiers ) for my daughters when they married.

I struggled last year to find the ingredients---sun maid raisins for instance and literally gave up. I'd love to make one though to divide between D and GD to save them paying out for a tasteless excuse for a Christmas cake.

Jalima1108 Sat 03-Nov-18 11:46:56

Last year I made a Jamaican Black Cake - that could be similar to Delia's Creole cake. It has lots of rum and the fruit is chopped.

I've also made Christmas cakes from a recipe which looks very similar to Grandmanorm's.

However, the recipe I like best is annsixty's grin

Buyerbird Thu 08-Nov-18 08:50:32

I’m looking for the Supercook Dark Fruit Christmas Cake that someone had last year. Can anybody help me with the recipe?