Gransnet forums

Food

Christmas cake, almost a disaster ?

(32 Posts)
tanith Sat 17-Nov-18 17:01:12

So this morning I got all my ingredients on the side ready to make Grandmanorms Christmas cake. I lined the tin got my brown paper and string ready to wrap round the tin and had soaked my dried fruit in tea (don’t do alcohol).

I creamed the butter and sugar in my large mixer then began to add the eggs one at a time then disaster struck as egg no3 went in the mix appeared to split I added a little of the flour but no it was still runny with large lumps of congealed butter. I googled what should I do and as suggested I put the whole lot through a sieve to try and save it but as soon as I put it back in the bowl and with my hand mixer this time tried to coax it back together with a little more flower but it wouldn’t be rescued.
I gave up at this point and luckily I just had enough eggs and butter left to try again this time I did the whole thing with my hand mixer and it was perfect and is in the oven as I type.

So can anyone tell me what happened please as I’m flummoxed ? everything was at room temperature so that’s not it by the way but I’m sure someone here will have the solution ?

gmelon Tue 20-Nov-18 00:16:38

Yes, I'd say curdle but following suit on the thread and saying split.
As to the North/South terminology I'm a Londoner and as stated above say curdle.

gmelon Tue 20-Nov-18 00:17:30

Thinking about it I think the cookery books and programmes describe it as curdle.

tanith Tue 20-Nov-18 07:48:00

Isn’t it strange how we use words differently, the word curdle to me means something is on the turn or gone off. For instance milk or cream that’s past it ?

Teetime Tue 20-Nov-18 09:07:56

In Delia smith's Christmas book which I have used for years her Christmas Cake recipe says dont worry if it curdles a bit it will still taste delicious. as this is a very dense cake anyway you aren't really looking for a 'light as a feather' sponge.

sarahellenwhitney Tue 20-Nov-18 12:34:23

I have an old Bero cook book and it says add the eggs whole. I have done both wisk and whole and both have separated. Couldn't have made any difference to the cake as no one ever said 'no thanks' to another slice.

Telly Tue 20-Nov-18 13:15:05

I never worry if the cake splits, I might put in a tablespoon of flour, but really with a heavy fruit cake I can't see it making much difference.