Gransnet forums

Food

When you were a child did you hate mince pies?

(73 Posts)
merlotgran Wed 19-Dec-18 16:02:30

Then suddenly one day you discovered you love them?

This afternoon I had two trays cooling in the kitchen when our two DGSs, 18 and 20 called round to pick up some deliveries I'd taken in for them. They wanted to know what the lovely smell was.

'Mince pies but you don't like them.'

'They smell delicious.'

'Try one, then. You might change your minds now you're older.'

A bit of cautious nibbling followed.

Why didn't I keep quiet? Now I have to make another batch! grin

Grammaretto Thu 20-Dec-18 11:31:33

My MiL still makes the world's best mince pies at the age of 93.
I have tried but maybe it's her cool fingers on the pastry whereas I have hot breadbaker's hands.
Mine are leathery and often burnt.
Anyone fancy one grin

hereshoping Thu 20-Dec-18 12:08:15

Love mince pies now since I tried Sainsbury's bakery ones.
My mum used to bring me a batch of her mince pies every Christmas (she was a wonderful cook) and I said thank you but wasn't really interested.
How I wish now that I'd taken the time to ignore the waistline and appreciate them.

Patticake123 Thu 20-Dec-18 12:16:50

I loved mince pies but didn’t touch Christmas pudding until I was about 50 years old thanks to the school. My brother assured me that there would be a silver three penny bit in the school’s pudding, just like by grandma gave me. Wrong. I spent the afternoon of the Christmas party, on my own, not allowed to join in because I couldn’t/ wouldn’t eat the wretched pudding and I didn’t touch it again for the next 45 years. I hasten to add I’ve made up for it since!

GrandmaMoira Thu 20-Dec-18 12:28:55

I always liked mince pies as a child and young adult but not too keen now. Maybe this is because I don't make them as none of the family now like them. I find shop bought ones stodgy.

Charleygirl5 Thu 20-Dec-18 12:53:42

I have never made a mince pie or Christmas pudding in my life and do not intend to start now. I do not like mince pies- can tolerate Christmas pud maybe once a year with single cream.

Savoury would be my preference.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 20-Dec-18 12:56:50

It's funny - I'm the other way round (well, I would be wouldn't I?). I liked them as a child, along with Wedding/Christmas Cake/pudding I've largely gone off them.
If someone has taken the trouble to make them I feel I can take the trouble to eat one and be gracious enough to say thank you with a smile.

lemongrove Thu 20-Dec-18 13:29:45

I would eat anything as a child.
So can’t remember what I liked and what I didn’t, with one exception, nuts!
They only appeared at Christmas and having tried to eat one was sick immediately.It took another 40 years before I could actually eat one.
On the subject of nuts, I can’t find any Payne Choc Brazils in the shops, anyone seen any?

Irenelily Thu 20-Dec-18 13:40:43

The best mince pie I tasted was made by a little 7year old lad in my class! With the help of some mums the class made mince pies ( maths - all that weighing and measuring!) that lad’s pastry was fantastic - light as a feather!

Esmerelda Thu 20-Dec-18 14:10:30

Always loved mince pies as a child, but then my mum's pastry was legendary. The shop bought ones are rubbish and I don't waste my money ... too gluey.

grandtanteJE65 Thu 20-Dec-18 14:11:15

I have always loved mince pies and Christmas cake and Christmas pudding, but I HATE Brussels sprouts and always have done. Unfortunately, I was fourteen before I could persuade my parents to let me not eat the wretched things.

maryhoffman37 Thu 20-Dec-18 14:19:41

Still dislike them. And Christmas pudding. But I make them every year!

mabon1 Thu 20-Dec-18 14:40:58

Love them, used to help Mother to make them, always thinnish pastry and packed full of homemade mincemeat soaked with brandy sprinkled with icing sugar - delicious!!

Greyduster Thu 20-Dec-18 15:07:30

I like mince pies as long as they are not too big or too deep. Mine, like my mother’s, are just a couple of good mouthfuls. My pastry is better than hers though ?.

MissAdventure Thu 20-Dec-18 15:25:48

I don't really enjoy sweet things, but mince pies; I love 'em!
Same as above, not too much filling, and no fancy extras like brandy or icing on top.
Shops own brand are best for me.

EllanVannin Thu 20-Dec-18 15:39:32

Nothing nicer than melt in the mouth shortcrust pastry filled with a good mincemeat. None of your anaemic looking pastry either.

willa45 Thu 20-Dec-18 15:49:40

My grandmother would bake all kinds of pies early on Christmas Eve and as a child, I would always refuse the Mince Pie! She's been gone now, forty years and so are her all her delicious pies. I now regret all the times I said 'no' and that I never got to taste her Mince Pie.

Cabbie21 Thu 20-Dec-18 16:04:06

I have never liked them ,though my MIL made good ones which I would politely eat one of. I tried to make them a couple of times without success. Gave up, and shop bought ones are not nice.
It really annoys me that every event this month ends with mince pies, and no alternative. Concert last Saturday, carol service tonight. They may be popular, but not everyone likes them and as for the number of calories!......

Urmstongran Thu 20-Dec-18 16:22:28

I’ve always liked them. Our mum made lovely shortcrust pastry. Then a good few years ago I got hold of a recipe that had lemon zest and ground almonds in it. Delicious! My mum passed the baton to me after that! I made them on Christmas Eve for quite a while. Everyone loved them. Sadly I can’t be bothered to make them anymore (moved from house into a small apartment with a ridiculously minute kitchen area). Shop bought are fine now for us.

HannahLoisLuke Thu 20-Dec-18 16:24:17

I remember when my son was about two we gave him his first mince pie which he tucked into with gusto.His dad asked him which bit he liked best, the pastry or the mincemeat " I like the pie" he said and still does 25 years later. I make mine from a Jocelyn Dimbleby recipe with sweet orange pastry made with the juice and zest of an orange and a little icing sugar, delicious.
I recently bought a pack from the supermarket which turned out to be "free from" oh, how I sympathise with people who are gluten intolerant.i have never eaten anything so dry, hard and awful. I crumbled the rest if them up and put on the bird table. Two days later I've had to clean the table and get rid of the pies, even the birds wouldn't eat them!

MissAdventure Thu 20-Dec-18 16:24:42

Phwoar!
They sound delicious!

merlotgran Thu 20-Dec-18 16:35:06

Mine are home-made gluten free mince pies, HannaLois I agree the bought ones are like cardboard. It took a while to perfect the shortcrust pastry but with two coeliacs in the family we have to find ways of including all the Christmas treats.

Sausage rolls are much harder (literally) because bought gf flaky pastry is like shoe leather and even home made ones can come out of the oven like concrete.

I drop them straight into a plastic bag to cool down and seal the top so the condensation makes them go soft. They are also better re-heated in the microwave rather than an oven. Basically, I do the exact opposite of what you are supposed to do with pastry. tchwink

Sleepygran Thu 20-Dec-18 16:49:38

Dragonfly46 my husband and I are the same, can't bear raw cheese but can eat cooked cheese,I agree it's very strange!

Mapleleaf Thu 20-Dec-18 17:10:55

I love mince pies, especially homemade ones. My Mum made lovely ones, along with coconut tarts, jam tarts, curd tart...
Yum, just thinking about them makes my mouth water

KatyK Thu 20-Dec-18 17:15:29

I love them. My mum made delicious ones. My DH hates anything with dried fruit so if I buy/make mince pies, I end up eating the lot.

valeriej43 Thu 20-Dec-18 17:17:31

Not keen on mince pies, and wouldnt eat anything as a child with currants,raisins, onions and cheese, like them all now, but i do love sprouts
My mother used to have to take any onion in gravy out for me or i wouldnt eat it
Love onion gravy now,