Gransnet forums

Food

When you were a child did you hate mince pies?

(73 Posts)
merlotgran Wed 19-Dec-18 16:02:30

Then suddenly one day you discovered you love them?

This afternoon I had two trays cooling in the kitchen when our two DGSs, 18 and 20 called round to pick up some deliveries I'd taken in for them. They wanted to know what the lovely smell was.

'Mince pies but you don't like them.'

'They smell delicious.'

'Try one, then. You might change your minds now you're older.'

A bit of cautious nibbling followed.

Why didn't I keep quiet? Now I have to make another batch! grin

EllanVannin Thu 20-Dec-18 17:37:37

My favourite of mum's baking was Bakewell tart. I don't think I'd ever match it.

sandye Thu 20-Dec-18 18:17:29

Hated Hated Hated Horlicks. My mum had one of those long glass and plunger thing they gave with it to make it frothy and used to give (make) us have a cup every night.Thank goodness now I'm older I don't have to drink it.

Nanny41 Thu 20-Dec-18 18:25:20

Loved mince pies and still do, never keen on Christmas cake. Christmas pudding, well I eat because of the tradition.I think mince pies bought in some shops have too much mincemeat in them, never satisfied are we.

Lazigirl Thu 20-Dec-18 18:28:48

My neighbour is gf and I got some mince pies and mini pieces of Christmas cake both gf from M&S for her, which were all nice - I tried them. When my son first tasted fruit cake aged about 3 at my aunt's, he had one mouthful and shouted yuk. It was embarrassing as she prided herself on her baking

harrigran Thu 20-Dec-18 18:56:04

No, I still hate them. They were invented by satan.

instagran Thu 20-Dec-18 22:01:34

My son (47) texted me to say had lovely 3 course Christmas dinner at their local last Sunday with "double no sprouts"! Never been able to stand them, sadly, though his sister and I love them.
Sandie 17 I had a Horlicks mixer and used it to mix baby milk, now for mixing the occasional Complan.

4allweknow Thu 20-Dec-18 22:46:30

Mince pies were unknown to me when young. Only when in late 20s and living away did I discover them. Family have always enjoyed them.

Purplepoppies Thu 20-Dec-18 22:49:25

I don't remember liking them. But today I found heaven in a box! Aldi are selling Black Forest mince pies and they are delicious!!! Very sweet with whole cherries and chunks of dark chocolate. Oh my.

fairisle Thu 20-Dec-18 22:54:02

I didn`t like mince pies when i was a child,i like them now,especially the all butter ones.

rascal Thu 20-Dec-18 23:17:42

Yes and I still hate them. Can't stand Christmas pudding either. tchsmile

moggie57 Thu 20-Dec-18 23:53:24

i dont mind the little mince pies .but i never been a fan of them.......had two after church carol service, that reminded me why i dislike them ,they are way to sweet and sugary...i like the ones that we had in dorset many moons ago .proper mince with a few herbs .proper MINCE pies.

H1954 Fri 21-Dec-18 00:08:33

No, sorry, aubergines are the food of the devil; along with tripe, liver, olives, cold pasta (what is that all about?!?!) choritso, salami and black pudding !

Pat1949 Fri 21-Dec-18 04:36:11

I don't like mince pies or Christmas pudding. I've only just got round to eating Christmas cake but only with plenty of icing on.

absent Fri 21-Dec-18 04:47:17

No! Might have been the brandy. My dog loved them too and stole one right out of a guest's hand. She was waving it right in front of his nose so I could hardly tell him off.

absent Fri 21-Dec-18 04:53:49

I am slightly surprised – poor old-fashioned me – that people are talking about buying mince pies. I vividly remember absentdaughter asking me, on more than one Christmas Eve, whether it was traditional to make pastry in the middle of the night. (In my house, yes it was.) I also make my own mincemeat, long before Christmas Eve, which is utterly delicious.

NfkDumpling Fri 21-Dec-18 07:48:18

I’ve always loved mince pies but then, when we were little and such things were comparatively expensive, my mum’s mince pies had far less filling in them.

I’ve tried freezing them to stop myself eating them - but the mincemeat doesn’t freeze so in a couple of minutes the pastry is defrosted enough. In fact you can eat them straight from the freezer. blush

travelsafar Fri 21-Dec-18 08:04:57

I love mince pies my other half doesnt. So I just buy two from the bakers for me as i dont want to be left with a boxful as i know they are so loaded with calories. Likewise with Xmas pud.I love it, my best friend usually make me a really small one which is always delicious and i cut that in half and freeze one half and eat the other and soooo enjoy it. Christmas cake i just dont do or buy as it would only be me eating it, i would if it was there. My treat at xmas is medjool dates , my DH is a big trifle with lots of cream!!!!shock

GreenGran78 Fri 21-Dec-18 11:17:20

We were organizing a Charity Carol Concert, and sent a request to our local Asda and Tesco for help with the refreshments. They each donated a huge number of Mince, Apple and Bakewell tarts. Even after feeding our 350 strong audience, and 80 choir members we had four cartons (480 tarts) left over. Our various local food banks were delighted to receive them.
One co-ordinator told me that donations drop off drastically in the New Year, so I hope that you charitable Gransnetters will keep them in mind next year.
I love mince pies, but they are so calorific! I also love cheese, au naturel, but hate it cooked. I’m walking my daughter down the aisle next year, so am trying to avoid all such temptations, but it’s not easy. I have a very ‘sweet tooth’.

holdingontometeeth Thu 27-Dec-18 13:33:54

Mother-in-law used to make lovely mince pies, but unfortunately she died.
Some people have no consideration!

lemongrove Thu 27-Dec-18 16:38:24

We are on our last mince pies, can’t think of life without one now with an afternoon cuppa.?

Beau Thu 27-Dec-18 17:29:24

No, I've never liked mince pies, Christmas pudding or Christmas cake - although I have never tasted a home made version of any of them, I must admit - my mum was not interested in cooking and neither am I.

ayse Thu 27-Dec-18 17:36:58

I’ve always liked mince pies but either Christmas cake or pudding are my favourites. Between Christmases a boiled fruit cake made with mixed fruit, spices and port is a good substitute but not very good for the waistline and diabetics.