Gransnet forums

Food

When you were a child did you hate mince pies?

(72 Posts)
merlotgran Wed 19-Dec-18 16:02:30

Then suddenly one day you discovered you love them?

This afternoon I had two trays cooling in the kitchen when our two DGSs, 18 and 20 called round to pick up some deliveries I'd taken in for them. They wanted to know what the lovely smell was.

'Mince pies but you don't like them.'

'They smell delicious.'

'Try one, then. You might change your minds now you're older.'

A bit of cautious nibbling followed.

Why didn't I keep quiet? Now I have to make another batch! grin

Alima Wed 19-Dec-18 16:05:43

Loved mince pies. Mum baked them, her flakey pastry was beyond wonderful. (Bet your kitchen still smells amazong!)

Willow500 Wed 19-Dec-18 16:21:51

My dad's mince pies (both sweet and savoury) were legendary in our family - delicious. I've never been able to make them like that and I find the shop bought ones have too much pastry and are too sweet.

M0nica Wed 19-Dec-18 16:49:19

Loved the filling but hated the thick heavy pastry they usually came in. This was in the 40s and 50 when mincemeat and its makings were on ration.

cornergran Wed 19-Dec-18 16:52:04

Loved them. Mum made them Christmas Eve and it was the beginning of Christmas.

Auntieflo Wed 19-Dec-18 16:54:26

Loved them, still do.
Mum was another very good pastry maker

Lazigirl Wed 19-Dec-18 16:59:47

As a child I hated anything with mincemeat including mince pies, also fruit cake with marzipan, boiled to death greens, especially yellowed squelchy Brussels sprouts, peas, and cups of tea. I like them all now, but prefer sprouts still green without squelch!

shysal Wed 19-Dec-18 17:06:41

Disliked them and still do! Also dislike Christmas cake and pudding. However I made some mincemeat crumble shortcake squares last week for a gift, using Asda luxury mincemeat and quite liked them!

MiniMoon Wed 19-Dec-18 17:21:08

No, always loved them.
Embellished my recent batch made with shop bought jar of mincemeat. I added dates, sultanas chestnuts and rum. They were delicious.

Day6 Wed 19-Dec-18 17:43:07

Disliked them and still do! Also dislike Christmas cake and pudding.

Are you me shysal?

I have never liked them or fruit cake or Christmas pudding. I am glad because I tell myself I am saving calories during the festive season. I haven't had a mince pie yet this year and don't really want one. I'll find some other sweet treat to eat instead though, maybe a fresh cream chocolate eclair.

FlexibleFriend Wed 19-Dec-18 18:02:10

Always loved them and so did my kids, They start nagging as soon as it's December have you made any mince pies yet. My youngest presented me with the mincemeat this year to gee me up.

grannyjo5 Thu 20-Dec-18 10:13:49

I will, and do eat anything! ? Except mince pies!! Food of the devil ? Sorry

Beilas Thu 20-Dec-18 10:18:45

I don’t particularly like them - but just can’t stop eating them!!

newnanny Thu 20-Dec-18 10:21:51

Don't like mince pies or rich Xmas cake or Xmas pud. I tend to prefer savory (chesse) food. I make them for family though.

notgoneyet Thu 20-Dec-18 10:24:25

Hahaha Bella - that's me all over! With most food unfortunately, and my svelte (!!!!) figure will show.

dragonfly46 Thu 20-Dec-18 10:28:20

My daughter has always hated cheese although she used to say she liked the smell of cooked cheese. When she was a student she discovered pizza and now loves cooked cheese but cannot go near any raw cheese. I find this very odd.

Nanny123 Thu 20-Dec-18 10:28:56

I still hate them now

Legs55 Thu 20-Dec-18 10:43:01

I love mince pies, DM always made her own mincemeat, Christmas pudding & cake my job was to decorate the cake after DM had iced it complete with Santa, sleigh, trees & reindeer. I am very picky when it comes to shop bought, Christmas pudding/cake usually too dark & heavy. I did have a lovely individual Christmas pudding the other day with brandy (hic!!) sauce

I look for deep filled mince pies as I hate too much pastry. DD is another mince pie loverthlsmile

Margs Thu 20-Dec-18 10:43:43

Loved mince pies (either home made or shop bought) but LOATHED Xmas pudding. Always far too heavy and chunky in my experience.

David1968 Thu 20-Dec-18 10:52:50

Have always loved them, if they're well made and generously filled with good mincemeat. (DH makes delicious mincemeat which makes them scrumptious.) I have to pace myself!

Saggi Thu 20-Dec-18 11:07:16

My friend makes THE best mince pies I’ve ever tasted and always makes me three dozen every Christmas....as it happens I’m just on way to buy her favourite tipple ( spiced rum) to give her as a pressie.We don’t usually exchanged pressies but she always comes up trumps this time of year so just for once I’m gonna reciprocate . Can’t bake something for her as that WOULD be the end of our frienship!!!!

LynnKnowles Thu 20-Dec-18 11:13:27

When I was young my mum made mince pies and sausage rolls on Christmas Eve - the beginning of Christmas - no freezer or even a fridge - so everything done at the last minute. The smell pervaded the entire house - so lovely.

sarahellenwhitney Thu 20-Dec-18 11:14:02

merlotgran.As a child I would eat anything maybe due to food rationing as we were grateful to get what we could.
It is now I have food dislikes and can pick and chose which I would have been more than happy to have eaten during those hard times.

ninathenana Thu 20-Dec-18 11:16:13

Can't remember if I liked them when young but I love them now.
I didn't like Christmas pud which I do now or cake but then I don't like marzipan.

SueSocks Thu 20-Dec-18 11:23:57

Love mince pies now and have done for years (decades)! Hated them as a child as they were always made by an aunt, the pastry was soft and very slightly off-white, the pastry put me off. No idea of what type of pastry it was.