Gransnet forums

Food

You’ve got too much money if......

(76 Posts)
NanaandGrampy Sat 29-Dec-18 17:27:13

You bought one of these....

www.lakeland.co.uk/61513/Sage-Precision-Egg-Poacher-BEG800SIL

I think it’s daylight robbery at the sale price but at nearly £170 full price for a glorified poacher ..... well I had to sit down !!!

I would be very interested to know if anyone has one and thinks they’re good value for money .

Maggiemaybe Sat 29-Dec-18 18:32:44

‘Ow much?!? tchshock

DH thought I was being profligate when I invested £2 in some new metal poaching thingies to replace the plastic ones that had melted in the pan during an incident. He thinks I’m very finnicky preferring properly shaped poached eggs to his misshapen coddled in the pan variety.

MiniMoon Sat 29-Dec-18 19:00:50

I was intrigued about this contraption, so I read the customer reviews. Apparently it's only 6" in diameter, so no good for more than one portion. It's poor quality too, breaks down after only a few uses according to customers.
I've got something like this, it's brilliant.

FlexibleFriend Sat 29-Dec-18 19:44:23

There's only 1 review who said they were very happy with it.
It shows 6 eggs being boiled in it so doubt it's 6 inches across either and no mention of it breaking down. In fact were we reading the same thing?

MiniMoon Sat 29-Dec-18 19:50:26

FlexiF, I googled the product and looked at the review there. There were several.

MiniMoon Sat 29-Dec-18 19:55:12

On Amazon, here read the reviews. I don't like being doubted.

FlexibleFriend Sat 29-Dec-18 20:25:03

I don't eat poached eggs and wouldn't pay that much for a contraption to cook them if I did.
I was more confused that you referred to the reviews when there was in fact only one. It really never occurred to me that someone would be interested enough to look anywhere except the link provided. Which was why I questioned if we were reading the same thing. I thought that was obvious but hey ho.

NanaandGrampy Sat 29-Dec-18 20:26:30

I love a good poached egg but it would break my cheapskate heart to pay for a machine like this !! Lol

Jane10 Sat 29-Dec-18 20:37:40

I've got a very good egg boiler. It does poached eggs too. Cost £8.99. Well made and worth every penny.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 29-Dec-18 20:40:16

Whilst Mr GG13 is capable he can continue to poach my eggs!!! He is very good in the kitchen!

Charleygirl5 Sat 29-Dec-18 20:47:08

I do not like fried or poached eggs and like N&G I also would not pay a penny for a machine. I am still Scottish.

Chewbacca Sat 29-Dec-18 21:14:20

I've got the perfect piece of kit for cooking eggs. It's called a saucepan. I put a bit of water in it, bring it to the boil, put the egg in and hey presto, a few minutes later, out comes a cooked egg. stumbles away in shock that it can cost almost £100 to boil an egg

Jane10 Sun 30-Dec-18 09:27:40

I am still Scottish. I love our little egg boiler. After faffing about for years with pans I could never go back. I just pop the eggs in pour on a tiny amount of water. Put dome back on and the eggs are perfectly cooked by the time the toast is made. £8.99 btw not £100! Worth every penny.

Blinko Sun 30-Dec-18 09:31:38

I have an egg boiler and it's fine especially when you need more than a couple of eggs. I poach eggs in a mug in the microwave. Works a treat for one person, but then there's only me that likes poached eggs.

Cambia Sun 30-Dec-18 10:32:03

Yes, we use a saucepan too. My mum bought a sauce stirrer from Lakeland and I couldn’t believe that either! What’s wrong with a wooden spoon. I am now going to sit down and invent an entirely useless kitchen gadget and make lots of money!!!

Oldwoman70 Sun 30-Dec-18 10:36:05

Cambia Perhaps you could start a new thread - Useless Kitchen Gadgets - we could all put forward our ideas. I'm off to have a think!! smile

holdingontometeeth Sun 30-Dec-18 10:42:35

I've been paying for my egg poacher all my life.
Oops, got to go, I haven't done the hovering yet and I can hear her key in the front door.

Nograndsyet Sun 30-Dec-18 10:45:16

I have an egg boiler that I picked up in our charity shop. Brand new and cost me £3.50. It’s a fabulous wee machine. My parents gave me one years ago when they were all the rage. It was made by Philips and I had it for 25 years. Wonder how long this one will last? Will it outlive me ? smile

NotSpaghetti Sun 30-Dec-18 10:53:29

I think the price reflects the fact that it’s a sous vide - not “just” an egg poacher.

Willow10 Sun 30-Dec-18 11:04:59

I'd love to know what make the £8.99 is? I love a poached egg on toast!

toscalily Sun 30-Dec-18 11:15:39

Chewbacca I'm with you. smile.

Aepgirl Sun 30-Dec-18 11:22:59

If people have earned their money honestly, then they are entitled to spend it as they wish. We all have bought something frivolous.

GrannyMosh Sun 30-Dec-18 11:37:57

Good grief! But as Aepgirl says, people are entitled to spend their money as they like. I'm a crafter...why would I want to pay a fiver for a card if I can buy the materials to make it myself for £93.75?! blush

Willow10 Sun 30-Dec-18 11:48:49

I've just tried poaching an egg in the microwave in a cup of water - and it worked! grin ( doesn't take much to please me!)

sarahellenwhitney Sun 30-Dec-18 11:50:19

My' mistake' was an investment in a electric 'Cup Cake Maker' that had been reduced to £9.99
The thought of paying £170 for an electric egg poacher fills me with horror.