Gransnet forums

Food

You’ve got too much money if......

(77 Posts)
NanaandGrampy Sat 29-Dec-18 17:27:13

You bought one of these....

www.lakeland.co.uk/61513/Sage-Precision-Egg-Poacher-BEG800SIL

I think it’s daylight robbery at the sale price but at nearly £170 full price for a glorified poacher ..... well I had to sit down !!!

I would be very interested to know if anyone has one and thinks they’re good value for money .

Gma29 Sun 30-Dec-18 12:16:39

I did spend about a fiver on 2 silicone “cups” to poach eggs as OH dislikes them done in a pan of water. I begrudged spending that!

Chucky Sun 30-Dec-18 12:21:24

I want one of these. It looks great and would go perfectly with my rice steamer, coffee machine, sandwich maker, water cooler, actifry, waffle maker, cup cake maker, slow cooker, deep fat fryer, instant kettle, vegetable steamer and ice maker!!

Jane10 Sun 30-Dec-18 12:22:30

My egg boiler is a VonShef. I bought it from Amazon. I'd recommend it. I was very pleased with the price so took a chance and I'm glad I did.

Teetime Sun 30-Dec-18 12:27:36

My egg boiler is called Peter

dragonfly46 Sun 30-Dec-18 12:32:31

I see it has been reduced to £70 - still far too much!!

seadragon Sun 30-Dec-18 12:37:17

Might try that in my new micro-wave,Willow10!

homefarm Sun 30-Dec-18 12:38:49

Why does anyone want one of these?
I have an egg poacher sent by my Aunt from Canada in 1964 - still doing a fine job and a small saucepan is fine for a boiled egg!

NannyInTheKitchen Sun 30-Dec-18 12:54:04

I read a great Jamie Oliver tip a while ago, and it works a treat. For each egg oil a square of cling film (sprinkle with herbs if required) crack in an egg, fold up the edges of the cling film and twist the top a few times until secure. Drop in a pan of simmering water, cover and cook for around 5 minutes.

grandtanteJE65 Sun 30-Dec-18 13:03:33

Well I never did! I still poach eggs in the old fashioned way, by bringing a shallow pan of water to the boil, adding a tablespoon of vinegar and cracking the eggs into the boiling mixture one at a time.

My parents had a poaching pan with little cups set in a frame that fitted the dimensions of the pan, which you put boiling water into. It was aluminium and looked so disgustingly dirty when we cleared their house, that neither my sister not I wanted it.

Urmstongran Sun 30-Dec-18 13:14:58

Am I the only one to notice lately how quickly almost any post can turn into a snit? Less than 5 replies in, about poached bloody eggs for gods’s sake, 2 posters are squaring up to one another. What is wrong with people?

Jalima1108 Sun 30-Dec-18 13:15:47

It's reduced N&G!! A bargain now.

I just use a small non-stick pan with simmering water with a splash of vinegar in the water too, grandtante.

My mother had one of those poaching pans too, it was so scrubbed and clean that I did use it for a bit but generally speaking it's only me who likes poached eggs anyway.

moggie57 Sun 30-Dec-18 13:17:26

whats wrong with a microwave egg poacher from poundland ...cost £1....£170 blooming hell .someones got a lot of money to waste...£170 would buy my food for a month................

Jalima1108 Sun 30-Dec-18 13:19:09

In fact were we reading the same thing?
I thought Flexiblefriend asked very nicely if she was in fact reading the same reviews as Minimoon, Urmstongran

In fact, following the link in the OP , there is only one review on the Lakeland site. That seems quite typical when I have checked Lakeland reviews - there are few of them and always glowing!

Jane43 Sun 30-Dec-18 13:26:51

My parents had one of those grandetanteJE65. It didn’t look good but it did work and I wish we had kept it. We have tried several methods but are still looking for one that works. We had a silicone thing that looked like a bra cup that you just crack the egg into then put in boiling water but when you put it in the water it toppled over and the egg fell out. We had a thing that looked like a teastrainer with a hook on that you hook over the side of the saucepan of boiling water, we had high hopes of that one but the egg stuck to the mesh of the strainer, perhaps we could line it with cling film. We had a supposedly microwavable one from M & S, you just put the eggs in the cavity add half a teaspoon of water to each then microwave, it was ten or twenty seconds - it exploded before the time we set it for and we had egg all over the microwave. Yesterday DH remembered he had bought something else that was supposed to work in the microwave. We were hopeful of this because we have a similar thing to cook frozen veg in and it works perfectly. We followed the instructions but ended up with one half of the egg cooked hard and the other half uncooked. The search continues but in view of our experiences I won’t spend much. I will try your Jamie Oliver advice NannyInThe Kitchen.

Willow10 Sun 30-Dec-18 13:28:08

Chucky grin

Jane43 Sun 30-Dec-18 13:35:23

How long did you cook the egg in the microwave for please Willow10?

Thirdinline Sun 30-Dec-18 13:36:14

Lakeland must have read your post, OP. It’s been reduced to £99 ?!

Urmstongran Sun 30-Dec-18 13:38:54

There’s some passive aggressive shit going on ....

‘I don't like being doubted.’

then the reply:

‘It really never occurred to me that someone would be interested enough to look anywhere except the link provided. Which was why I questioned if we were reading the same thing. I thought that was obvious but hey ho.’

*sigh

Jalima1108 Sun 30-Dec-18 13:40:18

Chucky are they all sitting on the tops of cupboards, unused and unloved grin

Haven't you got a juicer? Absolutely essential for taking up cupboard space.

Jalima1108 Sun 30-Dec-18 13:40:32

Chucky are they all sitting on the tops of cupboards, unused and unloved grin

Haven't you got a juicer? Absolutely essential for taking up cupboard space.

Jalima1108 Sun 30-Dec-18 13:40:59

what happened there?

Jalima1108 Sun 30-Dec-18 13:42:05

oh, is that what 'passive-aggressive' is?

It seems to be a new phrase which is bandied about a lot.

trendygran Sun 30-Dec-18 13:48:46

What a waste of money! I have a very good egg poacher which I inherited from my Mum. It’s just a pan with a lid which has four spaces for eggs to be poached in containers ,over hot water in the pan. It works really well and the eggs poach in just a few minutes.

Willow10 Sun 30-Dec-18 14:03:52

Instructions said one minute in microwave, but I had to add an extra 30 seconds. Maybe depends on size of egg/ microwave power. Trial and error I guess!

HillyN Sun 30-Dec-18 14:36:24

To stop a 'cup-egg' exploding in the microwave, prick the yolk with a cocktail stick. Cover the cup with cling film and microwave on half power.