Gransnet forums

Food

Useless Kitchen Gadgets (Big or Small)

(66 Posts)
toscalily Sun 30-Dec-18 15:37:50

A light hearted thread as suggested by Oldwoman70.
Quite a few over the years but I'll make a start. Citrus zester, always forget it is in the drawer and use a small grater instead.

NanaandGrampy Sun 30-Dec-18 15:40:26

Ooooh we’ve all got some of these haven’t we ?

I’d say mine isa funny madolin thingie that sits on a bowl and you grate into it. It slips and slides all over the place and is finger lethal !!

I have no idea why I still have it lol

Marydoll Sun 30-Dec-18 15:55:37

NanaandGrampy , I got rid of mine on the advice of my GP, when I turned up at the surgery with a septic finger cause by a mandolin! It nearly took my finger off.?

MiniMoon Sun 30-Dec-18 16:06:58

I bought this year's ago at a Harrogate flower show. I keep forgetting all about it. It's for skinning and heating garlic cloves. I thought it would be very useful, but I've never used it.

MiniMoon Sun 30-Dec-18 16:08:37

Not heating, grating.

Beechnut Sun 30-Dec-18 16:16:53

Some family members bought one of those at a show this year MiniMoon and I wish I had now as it looks really easy unlike my garlic press which I’m finding getting hard to press......now if it were grapes ?

GrannyGravy13 Sun 30-Dec-18 16:19:53

A deep fat fryer, which has been consigned to a shelf in the garage!!!!

I am now resisting the urge to by one of those actifry thingymagiggys.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 30-Dec-18 16:20:20

Oops by should be buy.

Chewbacca Sun 30-Dec-18 16:23:20

A panini toaster. Used it once and never since. Ditto the milk frother.

NanaandGrampy Sun 30-Dec-18 16:28:24

I feel your pain Marydoll , it’s lethal!

tanith Sun 30-Dec-18 16:31:07

DH bought an ice cream maker he used it once it’s lived in the garage for a while but in my present, have to make a start on decluttering mood, it’s heading for a charity shop or the bin.

jusnoneed Sun 30-Dec-18 16:37:59

George Foreman grill. My son bought it years ago, got used once and now lives in it's box on top of a cupboard lol.
When he moves out he can take it with him, along with a smoothie maker he also bought a couple years ago.

Scribbles Sun 30-Dec-18 16:38:54

A cherry/olive de-stoner. Maybe I'm just a bit inept but it always seemed to make a very neat hole right through the fruit, alongside the stone, leaving the stone in place. confused

toscalily Sun 30-Dec-18 16:41:54

A tabletop grill, given to us as a Christmas gift about five years ago, used once. Still sitting on top of the kitchen cabinet in it's box, really must do something with it grin

Buffybee Sun 30-Dec-18 16:44:26

I have two items lurking in my kitchen cupboards.
Ice cream maker as already mentioned and Vegetable Spiralizer.
Both bought for me as presents.
What possesses people?
I've never, even when intoxicated let it be known that I'm dying to make my own ice cream or for that matter, Spiralize anything. smile

toscalily Sun 30-Dec-18 16:45:24

That reminds me Scribbles, had one of those too a long time ago, usually managed to get the stone but they would then bounce off the sink/work top all over the place. grin

Grammaretto Sun 30-Dec-18 16:46:41

Ooh I was given a garlic peeler. I do admit to using it occasionally.
The mandolin though. Yikes!!
In my gadget drawer I have a melon baller with zester on the end. At least I think that's what it's for.
Tins which are supposed to open without a tin opener but the pull tag comes off and you can't get the tin opened.

I've donated a yoghurt maker, toastie maker and a bread machine to charity for just taking up space.

mumofmadboys Sun 30-Dec-18 16:59:50

Mini moon I have the same garlic presser bought from the Ripley show. I like using it for crushing garlic.

mumofmadboys Sun 30-Dec-18 17:01:52

Do folk use spiralizers or was it just a craze which is passing over? Just interested. Never had one.

grannyqueenie Sun 30-Dec-18 17:06:56

momb you can easily recognise those of us who’ve ever used a spirolizer... we have plasters on each fingertip! grin

mumofmadboys Sun 30-Dec-18 17:08:05

I'll look out for plastered finger tips!

Lynnebo Sun 30-Dec-18 17:33:32

I second the George Forman grill - nasty messy thing!!!

MiniMoon Sun 30-Dec-18 17:44:58

I use my George Forman grill as a sandwich toaster. As above, it's too messy for very much else.

KatyK Sun 30-Dec-18 18:22:48

A spiralizer. It was a fad for a couple of weeks and now sits on top of a cupboard, forgotten and forlorn.

Chewbacca Sun 30-Dec-18 18:23:22

Mumof My friend's children bought her a spiralizer 2 years ago, for a Mother's Day gift. She was hmm when she received it but smile anyway. I asked her if she'd used it yet and she said that once everyone had had a go of making spirals out of cucumbers and courgettes, it went back in its box and hasn't come out since!