Gransnet forums

Food

Useless Kitchen Gadgets (Big or Small)

(67 Posts)
toscalily Sun 30-Dec-18 15:37:50

A light hearted thread as suggested by Oldwoman70.
Quite a few over the years but I'll make a start. Citrus zester, always forget it is in the drawer and use a small grater instead.

mumofmadboys Sun 30-Dec-18 18:28:29

Thanks chew

BBbevan Sun 30-Dec-18 18:58:17

Avocado stoner. Useless!

Oldwoman70 Sun 30-Dec-18 18:59:29

Definitely George Foreman grill
Pineapple corer

KatyK Sun 30-Dec-18 19:02:13

Same here Chewbacca. Maybe in the New Year when I have another go at 'being health's I'll give it another go.

Purpledaffodil Sun 30-Dec-18 19:10:21

Years ago I used to have a Bell Cream maker. You melted butter and milk together and then pumped the mixture to make cream. It was probably as expensive as actual readymade cream and very messy. It went to the charity shop eventually.

EllanVannin Sun 30-Dec-18 19:22:07

A brand new electric lemon squeezer still in its box from a charity shop years ago and it cost me all of £1 ! Still going strong.

kittylester Sun 30-Dec-18 19:27:11

I've got one of those garlic thingies. I either use frozen or jars.

I love my mandolin but it scares me silly.

I actually like my cherry stoner and use it a lot when cherries are in season.

Jessity Sun 30-Dec-18 19:34:05

Spiraliser. Can’t imagine what I was thinking about when I got it, useless bit of kit. Went to the charity shop. I used my ice cream maker quite a lot at first, but it’s languishing I know not where now.

toscalily I do use my zester though, used it today (dessert for guests coming tomorrow), grater never seems to do the job as well.

Scribbles Mon 31-Dec-18 11:09:29

I'd forgotten about my brief flirtation with the spiraliser. Useless object! It wobbled and 'walked' on the worktop when in use; it would only spiralise about half of a vegetable; cooking all that veggie 'spaghetti' without it turning to mush was an art in itself and, to seal it's fate, OH announced that he never wanted even to see another spiralised carrot. By then, I felt the same way so it went to the CPL shop where they're probably still trying to flog it.

Then there was the strawberry huller: it just snapped off the stalks of under ripe strawberries but squished ripe ones to a pulp. That came from a chain which promises a full refund if you're not delighted with their products and I got my money back - I think it must have been about 30p at the time grin.

Squiffy Mon 31-Dec-18 13:23:00

Years ago I used to have a Bell Cream maker

Same here Purpled! You had to remember to have unsalted butter in the house! It was quite fun to use, though!

Charleygirl5 Mon 31-Dec-18 13:46:48

I bought a George Foreman grill when it was at a good price- now I realise why! I have never used it.

ninathenana Mon 31-Dec-18 15:02:30

I have a toastie maker. Which is hardly used as it's a faff to clean.
My garlic crusher is never used. A good whack with a wide knife works just as well. DH insits on using the ice cream scoop, I use a tablespoon.

Purpledaffodil Wed 02-Jan-19 14:44:19

True Squiffy. But I used to make it with salted butter for stirring into soups etc. The long winter evenings just flew by.?

humptydumpty Wed 02-Jan-19 14:59:01

Wanting to make soup and blender broken, I bought hand-held blender - useless! made next to no impact on chunks of veg, maybe doing something wrong?? - or that will be heading off to charity shop...

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 02-Jan-19 15:37:06

Wonder how many of these kitchen gadgets have now made the useless list? grin

Grannyknot Wed 02-Jan-19 16:49:12

Ooh Lara that's reminded me to go to Lakeland and buy a new jar opener. I had one and it was very useful, but the handle snapped. I now tap the lids with a the handle of a heavy knife, much to husband's annoyance because the lids are full of dents!

My useless gadget is a squeegee type thing to get the last of e.g. sticky sauces out of a pouch and not on your fingers. Er, it works fine excepting that all the left overs are then on and in the crevices of the squeegee thing instead of on my fingers! grin

Auntieflo Wed 02-Jan-19 21:53:22

Our small George Forman grill, makes a very good toasted sandwich, but don’t use it for anything else.
A straw is a jolly good strawberry huller.

Franbern Fri 18-Jan-19 09:35:50

Auntieflo beat me in saying to use a straw to dehull strawberries.
When I had a big sort out of my kitchen I found I had three different type of garlic presses. All only used once. All went to charity shops.
Anyway, I rarely use garlic - if a recipe needs it I use garlic salt.
My slow cooker I gave to one of my daughters, Not really any point for one of these now I am retired. I still much prefer to cook casseroles in oven.
Ice cream maker - the very expensive ones that freeze as the churn are fine, but large and noisy - the one I have needs container to have been in freezer before using it - and even in my large freezer, there is rarely enough room. TBH, found that it was easier and cheaper to purchase ice cream at Iceland, (and they usually taste nicer).
On the other hand items I would not be without are my electric steamer, microwave, hand held blender (s o much easier making soup with this direct in saucepan, then when I used to risk severe burning by trying to transfer hot soup to blender.

JessK Fri 18-Jan-19 10:01:15

A mandolin - thought it was going to be great but every time I use it I catch my finger - ouch - so it's at the back of the cupboard!

RosieLeah Fri 18-Jan-19 10:02:28

A juicer. I bought one but only used it a couple of times. It does an excellent job of juicing but is too much bother to clean.

Jazzy1527 Sat 19-Jan-19 22:28:01

Grannygravy13.....one of my best ever buys, my actifry. Love the easy chips and roasties. Also use my slow cooker lots. Useless buys now in the charity shop....soup maker, icecream maker (used for a few weeks, now in the shed), various weird potato mashers.

Jazzy1527 Sat 19-Jan-19 22:29:24

Oh, also couldnt be without my mini blender/chopper and my hand blender, brilliant for blending soups.

MiniMoon Sat 19-Jan-19 23:01:19

After having posted about Mr Garlic, I've started using it. All I can say is, wow! It makes short work of removing the skin from the garlic cloves. I won't be leaving it in the cupboard from now on.
We've got a Dolce Gusto coffee machine gathering dust in a cupboard. We don't like the waste that goes with the little pods.

Bathsheba Sat 19-Jan-19 23:22:06

An attachment for my Kenwood Chef, which grates (in 3 different sizes), slices (in 3 different sizes) and chips. Thought it'd be handy, but the fact is, given I'm only cooking for 2 usually, it's much less faff, and much quicker, to grate, slice and chip with a knife and chopping board.
If I ever throw a garden party for a couple of hundred people I may get it out of the cupboard to make the coleslaw ?

SueH49 Sun 20-Jan-19 01:50:02

Most useless thing in my kitchen (apart from Me) is an Air Fryer. Used it for a couple of months to give it a fair go and decided it was just as quick and easy to use the oven and it is now waiting for a new home!