Gransnet forums

Food

Useless Kitchen Gadgets (Big or Small)

(67 Posts)
toscalily Sun 30-Dec-18 15:37:50

A light hearted thread as suggested by Oldwoman70.
Quite a few over the years but I'll make a start. Citrus zester, always forget it is in the drawer and use a small grater instead.

Grannyknot Wed 02-Jan-19 16:49:12

Ooh Lara that's reminded me to go to Lakeland and buy a new jar opener. I had one and it was very useful, but the handle snapped. I now tap the lids with a the handle of a heavy knife, much to husband's annoyance because the lids are full of dents!

My useless gadget is a squeegee type thing to get the last of e.g. sticky sauces out of a pouch and not on your fingers. Er, it works fine excepting that all the left overs are then on and in the crevices of the squeegee thing instead of on my fingers! grin

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 02-Jan-19 15:37:06

Wonder how many of these kitchen gadgets have now made the useless list? grin

humptydumpty Wed 02-Jan-19 14:59:01

Wanting to make soup and blender broken, I bought hand-held blender - useless! made next to no impact on chunks of veg, maybe doing something wrong?? - or that will be heading off to charity shop...

Purpledaffodil Wed 02-Jan-19 14:44:19

True Squiffy. But I used to make it with salted butter for stirring into soups etc. The long winter evenings just flew by.?

ninathenana Mon 31-Dec-18 15:02:30

I have a toastie maker. Which is hardly used as it's a faff to clean.
My garlic crusher is never used. A good whack with a wide knife works just as well. DH insits on using the ice cream scoop, I use a tablespoon.

Charleygirl5 Mon 31-Dec-18 13:46:48

I bought a George Foreman grill when it was at a good price- now I realise why! I have never used it.

Squiffy Mon 31-Dec-18 13:23:00

Years ago I used to have a Bell Cream maker

Same here Purpled! You had to remember to have unsalted butter in the house! It was quite fun to use, though!

Scribbles Mon 31-Dec-18 11:09:29

I'd forgotten about my brief flirtation with the spiraliser. Useless object! It wobbled and 'walked' on the worktop when in use; it would only spiralise about half of a vegetable; cooking all that veggie 'spaghetti' without it turning to mush was an art in itself and, to seal it's fate, OH announced that he never wanted even to see another spiralised carrot. By then, I felt the same way so it went to the CPL shop where they're probably still trying to flog it.

Then there was the strawberry huller: it just snapped off the stalks of under ripe strawberries but squished ripe ones to a pulp. That came from a chain which promises a full refund if you're not delighted with their products and I got my money back - I think it must have been about 30p at the time grin.

Jessity Sun 30-Dec-18 19:34:05

Spiraliser. Can’t imagine what I was thinking about when I got it, useless bit of kit. Went to the charity shop. I used my ice cream maker quite a lot at first, but it’s languishing I know not where now.

toscalily I do use my zester though, used it today (dessert for guests coming tomorrow), grater never seems to do the job as well.

kittylester Sun 30-Dec-18 19:27:11

I've got one of those garlic thingies. I either use frozen or jars.

I love my mandolin but it scares me silly.

I actually like my cherry stoner and use it a lot when cherries are in season.

EllanVannin Sun 30-Dec-18 19:22:07

A brand new electric lemon squeezer still in its box from a charity shop years ago and it cost me all of £1 ! Still going strong.

Purpledaffodil Sun 30-Dec-18 19:10:21

Years ago I used to have a Bell Cream maker. You melted butter and milk together and then pumped the mixture to make cream. It was probably as expensive as actual readymade cream and very messy. It went to the charity shop eventually.

KatyK Sun 30-Dec-18 19:02:13

Same here Chewbacca. Maybe in the New Year when I have another go at 'being health's I'll give it another go.

Oldwoman70 Sun 30-Dec-18 18:59:29

Definitely George Foreman grill
Pineapple corer

BBbevan Sun 30-Dec-18 18:58:17

Avocado stoner. Useless!

mumofmadboys Sun 30-Dec-18 18:28:29

Thanks chew

Chewbacca Sun 30-Dec-18 18:23:22

Mumof My friend's children bought her a spiralizer 2 years ago, for a Mother's Day gift. She was hmm when she received it but smile anyway. I asked her if she'd used it yet and she said that once everyone had had a go of making spirals out of cucumbers and courgettes, it went back in its box and hasn't come out since!

KatyK Sun 30-Dec-18 18:22:48

A spiralizer. It was a fad for a couple of weeks and now sits on top of a cupboard, forgotten and forlorn.

MiniMoon Sun 30-Dec-18 17:44:58

I use my George Forman grill as a sandwich toaster. As above, it's too messy for very much else.

Lynnebo Sun 30-Dec-18 17:33:32

I second the George Forman grill - nasty messy thing!!!

mumofmadboys Sun 30-Dec-18 17:08:05

I'll look out for plastered finger tips!

grannyqueenie Sun 30-Dec-18 17:06:56

momb you can easily recognise those of us who’ve ever used a spirolizer... we have plasters on each fingertip! grin

mumofmadboys Sun 30-Dec-18 17:01:52

Do folk use spiralizers or was it just a craze which is passing over? Just interested. Never had one.

mumofmadboys Sun 30-Dec-18 16:59:50

Mini moon I have the same garlic presser bought from the Ripley show. I like using it for crushing garlic.

Grammaretto Sun 30-Dec-18 16:46:41

Ooh I was given a garlic peeler. I do admit to using it occasionally.
The mandolin though. Yikes!!
In my gadget drawer I have a melon baller with zester on the end. At least I think that's what it's for.
Tins which are supposed to open without a tin opener but the pull tag comes off and you can't get the tin opened.

I've donated a yoghurt maker, toastie maker and a bread machine to charity for just taking up space.