Gransnet forums

Food

Has anyone tried the Greggs vegan sausage roll?

(76 Posts)
TrixieBakes Tue 08-Jan-19 10:06:57

My local Greggs don't seem to have it. Has anyone tried it? Is it worth searching out?

oldbatty Tue 08-Jan-19 18:33:15

with a letter " n"

varian Tue 08-Jan-19 18:35:32

I have never been to Greggs but I don't eat meat and often buy Linda McCartney sausage rolls for my vegan GCs. My omniverous GCs can't tell the difference between these and the meaty ones so why kill animals to make a sausage roll?

Pythagorus Tue 08-Jan-19 19:20:38

Has anyone tried Greggs vegan sausage roll .....

Just the once!

TrixieBakes Tue 08-Jan-19 19:51:26

That’s what I’m thinking, too, MissAdventure ??

pensionpat Tue 08-Jan-19 19:56:28

DDIL is a vegan. Her online group have named the Greggs vegan sausage roll Gary. Because it might as well be called Gary as a sausage roll.

EllanVannin Tue 08-Jan-19 20:30:49

-------never been in Greggs. Make my own sausage rolls and sausage plait.

NanaandGrampy Tue 08-Jan-19 22:24:49

Ah thanks Dontaskme I had always assumed that taste or similar was an issue also to vegetarians, I hadn’t thought about it solely being about animal welfare .

I thought it might be a combination . I appreciate your feedback.

I suppose as a carnivour I never considered the pastry was called a sausage roll solely because of its shape I thought the sausage was the thing lol . Mind you it bears thinking why isn’t a Swiss roll called a Swiss sausage .... now I do like a bit of Swiss roll ! ???

Desdemona Wed 09-Jan-19 14:24:35

Not sure what the fuss is about. Veggie/vegan sausage rolls have been around for ages. The Greggs ones are made with Quorn. I find Quorn sausages a bit tasteless, prefer Linda McCartney.

suzied Wed 09-Jan-19 14:33:21

Some meat eaters want to reduce their meat intake for health and environmental reasons, not cut meat out all together, you don't have to be a strict vegan to prefer a vegan sausage roll or eat the odd meat free meal. The meat content in the meat ones are (probably) really poor quality and very fatty, just the scrag ends and a lot of filler.

M0nica Wed 09-Jan-19 15:58:40

I like the Linda McCartney meat-free sausages and I like meat sausages.We have a very good pork producer/butcher nearby and there is no way I could confuse these two entirely different and enjoyable products with each other.

suzied I can assure you that the quality of the pork in the sausages I buy is excellent and we can buy if we choose 100% meat sausages. Of course they will contain the cheaper cuts of meat because, like all such products; sausages, rissoles, meatballs they have been developed to utilise those cheaper cuts, but it doesn't follow that the meat being used is very fatty or of poor quality.

The quality o fthe cheaper cuts of pork in the sausages I buy are excellent quality because they come from pigs that have been reared to the highest standards, so if their pork chops are excellent quality, it will follow that the pork from all the pig is of excellent quality.

suzied Wed 09-Jan-19 16:02:27

I was talking about the meat in processed foods like Gregg's. not the availability of good quality sausages. I doubt if Gregg's are free range/ organic/ contain much actual meat at all.

KatyK Wed 09-Jan-19 16:02:29

Drat. I've just been into town and forgot to get one to try.

Bathsheba Wed 09-Jan-19 16:18:48

A sausage doesn't have to include meat.
a sausage doesn't have to be meat. Its a shape.

I've yet to find a dictionary definition of the word 'sausage' that doesn't say something along the lines of "A sausage consists of minced meat, usually pork, mixed with other ingredients and is contained in a tube made of skin or a similar material."
It would seem that the shape derives from the sausage, not the other way round.

GillT57 Wed 09-Jan-19 16:34:06

Although there have long been vegetarian sausage rolls available, and cheese and onion type pastries too, the difference is this is a VEGAN one which means no animal fats in the pastry as you would have in a vegetarian one. Important difference.

Grammaretto Wed 09-Jan-19 16:53:38

Those who say it's not sausage please may I direct you to the ingredients of a typical meat sausage..I daresay I'd be preaching to the converted because why would you be looking at this thread at all if you are a confirmed meat eater! I have yet to try a Greggs vegan sausage roll and have no desire to apart from curiosity, but though not vegan I haven't eaten meat for 30 years.

Almost 50 percent of sausage is made from processed left over parts of a pig including blood, guts, organs and, of course, head meat. Blood sausage, popular in some European countries and Argentina, is made with 2 cups of porks blood per recipe. Some sausage casings are made from cattle hide.

MissAdventure Wed 09-Jan-19 17:48:37

shock so glad I don't eat sausages then.
I almost went into Greggs today, then realised its Subway we have.

FarNorth Wed 09-Jan-19 18:10:54

this is a VEGAN one which means no animal fats in the pastry as you would have in a vegetarian one.

There are no animal fats in the pastry of a vegetarian sausage roll, pie or anything else.
A vegetarian item might have dairy products or egg in it, a vegan one doesn't.

M0nica Wed 09-Jan-19 19:12:58

Sausages were developed, probably thousands of years ago to find ways of using the remnants of a carcass that are not suitable for wider use. Nevertheless, many of those despised ingredients processed left over parts of a pig including blood, guts, organs and, of course, head meat Do occur on the menus of good restaurants

Ox cheek and pigs cheek occur regularly on the menus of good restaurants and black pudding is made from blood, then there is haggis - Then what is wrong with offal? Liver bacon, heart, brains and balls are all seen on the best menus. Then there is tripe and haggis Haggis, the national dish of Scotland, a type of pudding composed of the liver, heart, and lungs of a sheep (or other animal), minced and mixed with beef or mutton suet and oatmeal and seasoned with onion, cayenne pepper, and other spices. The mixture is packed into a sheep's stomach and boiled. It is delicious.

Like many I wouldn't eat all of these myself, but chacun a son gout.

I now eat much smaller portions of meat than I did, so that I can afford to buy meat that meets the high welfare standards of organic producers or similar. All our meat comes from a local farmer/butcher.

However I am an omnivore and I am a disciple of Michael Pollan, who says 'Eat well, not too much, most of it plants' and plants do indeed form the main mass of my diet and always have done..

crystaltipps Wed 09-Jan-19 19:19:38

Agree original sausage invented to use up left over bits of an animal , but diets and language have moved on and we can talk of a sausage shape which doesn’t necessarily have to be minced up meat. Ditto burgers, pasties, etc all can and are made without meat. What’s the problem with that.?

Dontaskme Wed 09-Jan-19 19:25:34

Exactly crystaltipps

Davidhs Thu 10-Jan-19 07:54:11

We all eat what we fancy, on occasions I eat vegan meals, beans on toast is a good example but I also enjoy a steak, or fish and chips or sausage and mash so I am a normal omnivore like 99% of the population.
Sausage is a shape and nothing to do with what's in it, eat whatever you want but don't tell others what to eat.

MrTumble Thu 10-Jan-19 08:42:01

To be really pedantic, it's not a sausage roll or vegan sausage roll. The meat one is made using sausage meat not a sausage so it should be called a sausage meat roll and the vegan one is made using vegan Quorn not a Quorn sausage so should be called a vegan Quorn roll. (not all Quorn is vegan)..
smile

KatyK Thu 10-Jan-19 14:52:13

I've just bought one and shared it with DH. We are not vegan or vegetarian. I just wanted to try it. It was nice enough. Lovely crispy pastry and they served it hot.

moggie57 Thu 10-Jan-19 21:56:55

havent tried one. but i reckon it will taste yummy.not keen on any sausage roll really because of the pastry. but might just try one.

Razzy Fri 11-Jan-19 00:25:06

Wow lots of strange assumptions in this thread! Things I learnt about vegans. They just choose not to eat animal products, for health, animal welfare or environmental reasons. The extra amount of land and water to produce meat protein or dairy milk compared to the equivalent for vegan protein or milk is vast. Billions of animals are eaten every year. Vegans can be healthy or not healthy, same as omnivores. Many people already eat veggie or vegan food without really knowing. Macaroni cheese is vegetarian. Bourbon biscuits are usually vegan. Dark chocolate is often vegan. M&S have just launched a huge vegan range. I think it is unhealthy to attack people for what they eat. However knowing where your food cones from, how it is produced, and its impact on others is a good thing, I think.