Gransnet forums

Food

Stocking up on Food Brexit.

(354 Posts)
SparklyGrandma Fri 25-Jan-19 17:04:19

Are you stocking up at home in case Brexit means shortages?

How much money wise and amount?

What are you stocking up on?

Saggi Sat 26-Jan-19 09:05:04

Oh dear SparklyGrandma...they have got you worried haven’t they.... only one thing you need to stock up on and that’s your common sense , which I’m sure you have in abundance...this scaremongering will fizzle like the Millenium ‘bug’ that NEVER HAPPENED. Remember that!!

Gottalovethem Sat 26-Jan-19 09:06:27

I’ve just picked up some 3 in 1 coffees, loo roll and an extra weeks worth of Antibiotics just in case smile

GabriellaG54 Sat 26-Jan-19 09:08:12

No, I am not. Project fear has got it's claws into you if you stockpile.
Stockpiling is greedy as you will end up taking more than you need, 'just in case' and some who cannot afford big shops will be unable to buy the basics.
Only ridiculous people would consider it.

Saggi Sat 26-Jan-19 09:10:17

Powdered eggs????? As my mum said ...if I can’t have sugar in me tea then I won’t ...never had it again from rationing til she died. What’ll happen ...well maybe we’ll all lose a little weight and that can’t be a bad thing!! None of us actually need half the food we eat.

Lewie Sat 26-Jan-19 09:10:39

Nothing!

Albangirl14 Sat 26-Jan-19 09:11:26

No No No!

Abigailmckd Sat 26-Jan-19 09:16:29

Mrs jamjam
??

Blinko Sat 26-Jan-19 09:16:33

Why would anyone need dried eggs? Don't we have chickens in the UK?

moggiek Sat 26-Jan-19 09:17:10

Absolutely nothing.

Blinko Sat 26-Jan-19 09:18:18

Anyway, we'll be ok, I have a Christmas pud from about three years ago...

Gma29 Sat 26-Jan-19 09:26:11

Nothing. The idea is ridiculous

Chewbacca Sat 26-Jan-19 09:26:30

I heard on the radio yesterday that a --muppet- man had gone out and bought over £300 of his cats favourite food; just in case he can't get it after end of March. Fingers crossed his pussy doesn't get run over before it's eaten the lot.

Bobbynet1962 Sat 26-Jan-19 09:27:32

While I personally doubt I’ll be stockpiling. I’m not on any medication but my elderly Mum is and there are already shortages. I was at a meeting of local business owners on Thursday, and the haulage company said all warehouse space is now full and the government is desperate for more. So that tells us something . As for eating something else, the UK is not self sufficient in food.

Bobbynet1962 Sat 26-Jan-19 09:29:07

The Pets at Home MD said they are stockpiling, mainly pet foods!

blue60 Sat 26-Jan-19 09:30:43

I have an allotment. I grow what I like to eat and I'm preparing to do the same this coming year. Any surplus goes in the freezer (rhubarb still from last year and some runner beans).

I grow my own salad in my greenhouse which is in the garden, and we bake our own bread. Getting my seed potatoes this morning ready for the new season ahead, and grow other root veg, onions etc from seed.

As we go off campervanning, I often buy tins (baked beans, soup etc) and dried goods (mash potato, pasta etc) anyway as a convenience so I have a box set aside.

I must admit I've bought extra due to all the stories about running out of stuff as a precaution, and I look on it as a way of forward buying if things remain the same.

I simply don't care whether others think I'm an idiot or not.

4allweknow Sat 26-Jan-19 09:39:00

No stockpiling for me. On the chicken and milk topic though, will there be enough feed in the country for the animals to produce. If there is a shortage then price will go up and farmers won't be able to afford to buy. The government could of course subsidise. What about shortages across the channel. They too will be short of our exports in the food line which at the moment I can thing of as being fish and whisky!

maxdecatt Sat 26-Jan-19 09:40:38

Nothing at all. I am amazed that people I thought intelligent are running scared and believing the swivel-eyed Remainers. Just remember that the Republic of Ireland (Eire) are bricking it over Brexit. The EU are blackmailing them into refusing to remove or modify the Backstop and they (Eire) know that the Irish economy will take a huge and very damaging hit if trade with the UK is made difficult. It all boils down to money. The EU demanded £80 billion. Told to get lost they immediately settled on £39 billion. Who gives up 50%? Those that desperately need the cash, that is who. Now is the time to tell the EU that the £39 billion will reduce by half a billion per day until they come to heel.....which they will do after about 4 days of seeing the money pile shrink.
Money talks and rules. Always does. If it makes you feel better plant extra vegetables...beans, tomatoes, onions. Not that you will need them....but they will taste better than what you are used to from the superemarket!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 26-Jan-19 09:43:09

I don't stockpile for things like this beyond the ordinary - like tins of soup and Complan, in case I'm ill. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Barmeyoldbat Sat 26-Jan-19 09:44:50

I bought two bottles of olive oil this week is that stockpiling? Forgot I had already bought one.

maxdecatt Sat 26-Jan-19 09:46:28

If all warehouses are full and the govenment are looking for more they can use the hundreds of huge shops that are standing empty up and down the country. Lots of stuff needs no cooling or refrigeration, Just a space to be stacked. Simply commandeer the p;laces as in wartime, the landlordss will be happy as the premises will be secure, looked after and they will not have to pay rates on the empty units.

RustyBear Sat 26-Jan-19 09:50:45

@saggi “this scaremongering will fizzle like the Millenium ‘bug’ that NEVER HAPPENED. Remember that!!”

The reason the Millenium bug never happened is that lots of people who knew what they were doing worked hard to make sure it didn’t.

Not sure that’s the case this time...

But stockpiling cat food is just silly, the cat will obviously go off that particular food at once. It’s what cats do.

trendygran Sat 26-Jan-19 09:51:46

No. Too much scaremongering I think. We aren’t likely to starve even if shortages of some foods does happen.How did we manage before the Common Market? We didn’t go without food before then but just had less choice.

maddyone Sat 26-Jan-19 10:02:14

The answer is nothing. I’m not stockpiling anything. It’s all scaremongering.

Summerstorm Sat 26-Jan-19 10:02:17

Dried eggs? Do we actually import eggs from the EU. I thought we had chickens in this country.

maddyone Sat 26-Jan-19 10:03:28

.Summerstorm gringringrin