Gransnet forums

Food

Past "best-before " but not time for the bin

(37 Posts)
Elegran Sat 26-Jan-19 10:11:41

The Food Sharing Hub, on Bread Street, Edinburgh, opened its doors on Friday, with shelves stacked with fruit, vegetables and bakery products which supermarkets would previously have binned as they were past their best before date.

“The supermarkets donate food which is still safe to eat, that doesn’t meet their brand standards – as opposed to legal standards.

“It would be legal for them to sell it and it is legal for us to.

“It’s things like bakeries wanting to get rid of bread at the end of the day.

“Part of what we’re doing is trying to eliminate that, making people think ‘does it look like it’s gone off and smell like it’s gone off, or is it a day the shops are trying to get it off the shelves?’.”

foodanddrink.scotsman.com/food/scotlands-first-rescued-food-shop-opens-in-edinburgh/?fbclid=IwAR2yL4Zeitwu93u9bW5SjZ6_5DNdxYNmpaZrRZ4g5QgIjo4jDL8HCGEAVRg

Jalima1108 Tue 19-Mar-19 16:40:42

I would have tested them for you paddyann

I can remember that my MIL had a meat safe, Day6 - she still used it for some items even after she had a fridge.

Littleannie Tue 19-Mar-19 16:44:48

I have never had food poisoning from anything in my house, but I once had it by eating a cream cake from a local shop. It was somebody's birthday at work, and we bought some cream cakes. Several of us were extremely ill with compilabacter (not sure of spelling). It took me 6 weeks to recover, and it was a really miserable experience.

mumofmadboys Tue 19-Mar-19 18:24:11

I made a loaf yesterday with dried yeast which said best before 2002!! The yeast worked well and the bread tasted great.

Jalima1108 Tue 19-Mar-19 18:33:03

Oh, that's good mofmb

I wondered if out of date dried yeast would cease to work

Jalima1108 Tue 19-Mar-19 18:34:34

Littleannie DH had food poisoning from a prawn cocktail years ago - it only takes one prawn and they could have had a use-by date on them - but it was still contaminated.
BTW that was not at home, it was in a rather nice hotel!

Grammaretto Tue 19-Mar-19 18:55:06

Was it in a sealed foil container mumofmadboys? It's just that I've used elderly yeast which has not worked so I've used it to make slug bait.
We get free food from supermarkets for our weekly community meal, cooked by chefs.
Today it was lovely but sometimes it's not very nice. That's possibly because I'm not keen on processed food and readymeals.

Blondiescot Wed 20-Mar-19 11:43:07

We've just had a community fridge open up in our village - supermarkets and shops can donate items to it and people can help themselves for free. Members of the public can also donate items (they have to be pre-packed, not stuff you've made yourself) which are perhaps coming up to their dates. It's a great idea. I was also brought up not to waste food and I hate seeing food being thrown away.

mumofmadboys Wed 20-Mar-19 13:36:25

Yes Grammaretto the dried yeast was in a sealed foil sachet

Vonners Wed 20-Mar-19 14:29:49

I'm a great one for using my common sense as to whether to eat something or not. I definitely don't don't worry about any best before/use by/sell by dates.
I agree there is way too much food wasted. I believe this is partly to do with the fact people expect shops to have everything at all hours whereas years ago if you went in a shop an hour before losing and they were out of a particular item you just bought a substitute, went without or popped back the next day.
As a youngster I remember going with my nan to visit her sister, my great aunt. She made us a sandwich from an uncut loaf, the first slice was covered in mould so this was cut off. I wasn't sick, nor did it put me off eating bread or food at her house. There was no fridge, meat was kept in a meat safe, she also had no running water.

PamelaJ1 Wed 20-Mar-19 16:51:30

My husband has just made me throw away a Swiss roll with 2015 on it as a result of this thread.
I’m sure I would have made another trifle one day!

Lily65 Wed 20-Mar-19 17:08:11

Fare share is brilliant.