Gransnet forums

Food

Husbands who cook ??‍?

(158 Posts)
lemongrove Sun 03-Feb-19 20:00:37

Whenever we watch an Escape To The Country the husband always seems to be saying that he is the main cook, and needs a big kitchen to bash the pots and pans around.
My DH cooks once a week usually, and even that seems to be unusual amongst my friends, who’s DH’s never do more than prepare a sarnie.Do yours regularly take over the kitchen and make several meals a week? Lucky you, if so.envy

allsortsofbags Mon 04-Feb-19 12:52:42

DH does cook but not often and has a limited range :-)

He's always happy to peel, chop and other prep things such as putting things in the correct bins and clearing kitchen.

It's taken some training but happy now with the division of labour.

merlotgran Mon 04-Feb-19 12:54:55

DH is doing lunch today. That'll be beans on toast and if I'm very lucky there might be a poached fried egg on top.

loopyloo Mon 04-Feb-19 12:56:03

My OH can cook two meals, sausages and cheese on toast, so I have to be ill for only 48 hours!

MacCavity2 Mon 04-Feb-19 13:00:52

My husband said he wanted to learn to cook when he retired. Started with baking cakes and I helped him with the basics. Since then his Mary Berry lemon tray bake is in great demand at the community centre coffee morning. He has then gone on to cooking our evening meal with great success. It’s lovely to share cooking.

sarahellenwhitney Mon 04-Feb-19 13:14:17

I allowedgrinDH to do the ironing after did once AND only once! criticise my ironing of his shirts.

Anrol Mon 04-Feb-19 13:17:13

Mine can but as I’m retired and, as he prefers to work than retire, I am the provider of meals. He’s good and able when I ask him to be my sous chef, but he never voluntarily offers. When he does retire I am going to have a chat with him about dishing out the household chores more equally and I will have to learn to shut my eyes and mouth when he doesn’t do things “properly”!

NonnaW Mon 04-Feb-19 13:24:45

My husband does all the cooking, and menu planning. He enjoys it but says he feels a bit guilty at ‘taking over’. I don’t mind as he is a very good cook. In this cold weather he also makes soup for lunch most days. He makes a very good scone too! I still make bread and occasionally cakes and I do cook the odd meal, just to keep my hand in.

Oh, and he clears up as he goes along too! I’m very lucky to have him.

nonnasusie Mon 04-Feb-19 13:30:56

When I met my DH he'd been on his own for nearly 20 years (divorced) so was self sufficient! He worked in a hotel in Switzerland when young for 3 1/2 years and learned to cook there. He now does most of the cooking and never uses a cookery book or weighs anything! I am the cake and pudding maker these days! I did most of the cooking during my 1st marriage apart from Saturday when my late DH took over. Both my son and daughter share the cooking with their respective partners.

Hm999 Mon 04-Feb-19 13:48:13

My ex would have said he shared the cooking. He would cook once in a blue moon when we had people round.

PennyWhistle Mon 04-Feb-19 13:52:17

DH does the cooking whilst I earn the money to keep the household afloat. It works for us both ?

Greyduster Mon 04-Feb-19 14:16:23

DH does not cook, per se, but he has a ‘signature soup’ which we have to ooh and aah over periodically, and he can make a fruit cake. His culinary triumph, though, is mashed potato. My grandson thinks grandad is the mashed potato god and his is the gold standard against which all others are measured! Neither his mother nor I come any where near the mark?!

cheekychops61 Mon 04-Feb-19 14:23:49

We share most of the cooking. I tend to do the prep and husband does the cooking. If it's something like a roast or shepherd's pie that's my domain, but curries, stir fry, bolognese etc He is happy to do. Plus he washes up while I dry. It works for us anyway

PenJK50 Mon 04-Feb-19 14:25:48

I’m blessed to have a husband who now does almost all the cooking since I was diagnosed with a chronic neurological condition 7 years ago. It started when he couldn’t bear watching me cutting onions as he was scared I’d cut myself. He then said that he’d prepare all the vegetables. That changed into cook the meal! He loves it as it satisfies his creative side and I love his adventurous approach. We eat a different way now and we’re both happy.

trendygran Mon 04-Feb-19 14:26:30

My late husband used to cook sometimes. His curries were much better than any I have cooked since I lost him 10 years ago. His half sister (23 when he was born) made sure that he and her two sons could all cook. I never had to worry about leaving meals on the occasional times I was away on a school trip .He and my daughters managed well between them. Agree about ironing Jalima1108. I hate it and hardly ever do any now no shirts to iron!

jenni123 Mon 04-Feb-19 14:45:22

saw this online and made me smile

Missiseff Mon 04-Feb-19 14:58:57

Mine cooks a couple of times a week and always the sunday lunch. He's rubbish at cleaning up after himself though and seems not to see any spillages or crumbs! Can't complain though as he does the weekly shop, hoovering and all his own ironing. I allowed him to buy a dishwasher a few years ago & he says it's a godsend (I haven't a clue how to use it - have never had to! ?) ?

Jessity Mon 04-Feb-19 14:59:31

DH doesn't cook, has never cooked. I love cooking, taught both sons and they now enjoy it too, But DH bless him does every scrap of the clearing up, dishwasher loading and unloading, anything too big to go in dishwasher, makes tea and coffee, pours drinks and I wouldn't change him for the world!

amt101 Mon 04-Feb-19 15:04:01

I think large kitchens are the latest fashion along with opening living dining kitchen areas into a vast area. This maybe great for modern houses but spoils older houses. And imagine having kids all over the place while you try and cook.

LuckyFour Mon 04-Feb-19 15:08:31

DH cooks once a fortnight when I am out volunteering for the day. I have to make sure there is something appropriate in the fridge/freezer that he can do and tell him what it is. Actually he doesn't like to be told so I just say 'there's so-and-so in the fridge if you fancy doing it for dinner'. He always does.

If I left it to him he would by ready meals from M&S and our food bill would soar.

Cabbie21 Mon 04-Feb-19 15:20:01

DH can cook and would do so if I were not around, but rarely does normally. He does make his own lunches, quite elaborate salads or a lovely scrambled egg.
He overcooks veg to a point of sogginess which to be fair is how he likes them, but also adds far too much salt, so in general I would rather do the main meal and have food I can enjoy.
He has one signature dish with rice which he cooks about once a month. My main gripe is that he does not wipe surfaces down afterwards, and as for the ceramic hob....

Mamie Mon 04-Feb-19 15:22:58

We have always shared the cooking. OH probably does slightly more than half of the main meals now and is a very good cook. He also does the breadmaking (the slow way), makes all sorts of stock which he reduces and freezes as ice cubes and does lots of processing from the vegetable garden. He does all his own clearing up too. We both had demanding careers and whoever was less busy did more of the work in the house.

grannyactivist Mon 04-Feb-19 15:29:58

The Wonderful Man not only cooks wonderful meals, but makes yoghurt, bakes cakes and savoury biscuits and also does all the bread making (we now have a machine, but he used to do it by hand). He minces the (venison) meat that he has skinned and butchered and turns it into delicious meatballs and he grows the vegetable accompaniment! He's got a bottle of sloe gin maturing (I picked the sloes!) and has pickled his own beetroot.

He's mine, all mine and I tell him how much I value him every day. ! grin grin

CarlyD7 Mon 04-Feb-19 15:34:29

My lovely friend used to constantly moan that her husband never cooked dinner, but I noticed that when he tried, she criticised every bite! not suprisingly, they are now both in their 60's and all he will "cook" is beans on toast. However, me and hubby got married in our 30's and so had both been independent of our families for a long time, and my husband was used to cooking. Since we both retired, he does 50% of it at least. In fact, he's a far more adventurous cook than I am (hurray!)

trendygran Mon 04-Feb-19 15:35:01

Jalima 1108.:Have Just re read your first post about Nasi Goreng.That was my late DH’s speciality as well as curry. I love nasi goreng,but haven’t had one anywhere in the 10 years since I lost him. It just wouldn’t be the same if I tried to make it!

Menopaws Mon 04-Feb-19 15:43:44

My husband does a wicked roast and Christmas dinner but sod all else through the year, makes real mess and swears over the fact that all my bowls and dishes don't fit together and fall out of the cupboard etc (they never do when I open them)