Gransnet forums

Food

Husbands who cook ??‍?

(158 Posts)
lemongrove Sun 03-Feb-19 20:00:37

Whenever we watch an Escape To The Country the husband always seems to be saying that he is the main cook, and needs a big kitchen to bash the pots and pans around.
My DH cooks once a week usually, and even that seems to be unusual amongst my friends, who’s DH’s never do more than prepare a sarnie.Do yours regularly take over the kitchen and make several meals a week? Lucky you, if so.envy

crystaltipps Sun 03-Mar-19 06:25:17

Mr Tipps is a great cook, as are all the men in the family. Dinner parties, Christmas, curries, chilli, pasta sauces the lot. He’s recently got a vegan cookbook and can cater for the vegans in the family - vegan mac n cheese, mushroom wellington, falafels, samosas. He enjoys the challenge. As long as there’s a glass of wine going he’s happy. He shops and cleans up as well ( usually). He doesn’t do desserts, so it’s fruit or yoghurt which is fine by me.

Anja Sun 03-Mar-19 07:12:47

DH is battling dementia. He likes to cook. I think he’s trying to pretend nothing is wrong.

We have some ‘interesting’ results!

Susan56 Sun 03-Mar-19 07:58:36

DH loves to cook so always cooks our meals on his days off,also Christmas dinner and meals when the family visit.He is very patient and his meals are delicious.He even makes a sandwich look like a feast.He also uses every pan and utensil in the kitchen!My job is cleaner upper which I am more than happy with.

Greyduster Sun 03-Mar-19 11:02:53

I woke up with a bit of a sniffle and a sore throat today and DH said “you should stay in bed” (which he did for a couple of days last week when he had a bit of a sniffle). I said “if I stay in bed, we won’t get anything nice to eat.” He told me he would make his signature (sort of minestrone with interesting additions) soup and make enough for two days. I rest my case!?

GrandmainOz Sun 03-Mar-19 23:14:05

I do all the cooking as my OH works fulltime. He CAN cook - makes a good roast, but the mess he leaves drives me mad. It's more work for me than if I did it myself, cleaning up as I go along, which I always do.
However, on weekends he is often the first to be hanging out laundry, emptying bins, stripping the beds - so he does his fair share in other ways.
Pet peeve is that he insists on us grocery shopping together on Saturday mornings. He spends easily 30% more than if I do it alone and cannot for the life of him accept me buying budget cuts for slow cooker etc. He has champagne tastes I'm afraid!

sodapop Mon 04-Mar-19 08:41:16

I'm afraid our household falls into the category of no husband, no food. No ready meals or takeaways here so maybe I should get back into the swing of cooking smile

BlueSapphire Tue 05-Mar-19 21:00:00

DH always used to cook a lovely Saturday night dinner for us, and I was lucky enough to get breakfast in bed most Sundays (once the DC had grown up and left home and DH had retired). It was only when this started to taper off that I realised how poorly he was, and sadly he is no longer here to do it. But, hey, I have so many happy memories and just rejoice in them . Happy days.