Gransnet forums

Food

Cauliflower cheese

(171 Posts)
Anja Wed 13-Feb-19 08:31:39

When my SiL came to pick the grandchildren up after work yesterday he asked conversationally (he’s chatty like that)

‘What are you having for tea?’

I said ‘Cauliflower and broccoli cheese’.

He wanted to know what we were having with it and was surprised when I said that was the meal, nothing else.

We always as children in Scotland just had this as a complete meal (well not the broccoli ? I don’t think it had been invented in the 1950s).

Do others find it odd that there was nothing being served with it?

BradfordLass72 Thu 14-Feb-19 03:59:07

Not at all, it's a regular in my house too but without the cheese.
Carrots in white sauce is another favourite, or a dish of buttered spinach or silver beet , or a kumara and especially a head of broccoli lightly steamed and dipped in a bit of butter. Yum smile.

Nothing says we have to have meat and/or potatoes, so I don't. grin

Lazigirl Thu 14-Feb-19 10:16:27

Great post. Nannylovesshopping What's wrong with a thread about cauliflower cheese? We all eat and much time is taken either eating or thinking what to eat. This post has good ideas. I looked up Jamie Oliver's recipe and he thickens the sauce for the cauli by processing some broccoli.

mazgoli Thu 14-Feb-19 10:32:53

Grew up in Devon and it was definitely a main dish served with thickly sliced white bread and butter. I consider it the ultimate in comfort food, and have it more often than I should! Live in the Midlands now and they have it as a side dish with a roast - very odd!
Cheese sauce and gravy don't go together at all in my opinion.

merlotgran Thu 14-Feb-19 10:37:21

It's either/or in our house. DH loves it as a side dish with a roast so I reduce the cheese sauce to just a covering.

As a main course we have it with extra steamed vegetables and boiled potatoes.

madmum38 Thu 14-Feb-19 13:57:23

Was always a meal on it’s own in our house when I was growing up, cheese and leek is nice as well

grannylyn65 Thu 14-Feb-19 18:09:42

That is an oxymoron!!

Jalima1108 Thu 14-Feb-19 18:54:56

If it's the main part of the meal and not a side dish then I would have it with a jacket potato.

It's best with gammon and a jacket potato though!

Jalima1108 Thu 14-Feb-19 18:55:36

well not the broccoli ? I don’t think it had been invented in the 1950s).

Yes, how come it has become an essential these days?

BBbevan Fri 15-Feb-19 05:38:36

granny an oxymoron is a contradictory figure of speech. e.g. bitter sweet or same difference.

Or a very thick beef stew ???

DorisLovesBoris Fri 15-Feb-19 09:03:40

flaked almonds, catastrophe. Try walnuts or hazel nuts. I prefer Nutella. Peace out mufflers

Auntieflo Fri 15-Feb-19 09:23:25

A bit off piste here, but at school, (Domestic Science),
we made a layered cheese, potato and tomato pie.
It was delicious, but slightly hazardous bringing it home on the bus.

Oldwoman70 Fri 15-Feb-19 11:07:03

I was wondering what to have for dinner tonight - not anymore!! I love cauliflower cheese, usually with bacon bits sprinkled on top.

Cabbie21 Fri 15-Feb-19 13:15:02

Usually a main meal for us, but I include hard boiled eggs and boiled potato in the assembled dish.
Sometimes it might be a side dish, but usually there is enough else going on.

MaizieD Fri 15-Feb-19 14:54:24

well not the broccoli ? I don’t think it had been invented in the 1950s)

We had purple sprouting broccoli in the 50s. Delicious but just not widely available any more. I have to grow it myself to enjoy it these days!

Cauliflower cheese is a main dish for us, with bacon pieces at the bottom. Very filling...

kwest Mon 18-Feb-19 20:01:45

My favourite food of all. Must have wholegrain mustard and extra mature cheddar. I like it on it's own but it is also fine as a side dish with any meal.

Nana3 Mon 18-Feb-19 22:22:15

MaizieD I bought British purple sprouting broccoli in Aldi (may be available in other supermarkets) this week.

DeeWBW Wed 27-Feb-19 18:28:33

No, I don't find it odd.

Desdemona Thu 04-Apr-19 11:02:03

I love Cauliflower Cheese - will eat it as a main, side dish - whatever!

I am inspired by this thread to make one for tea today (and also the fact that my local greengrocer is selling huge caulis for 68p and Iceland have Cathedral City cheese for £1.89.)

I never buy packet cheese sauce, I have never found one that is anything less than vile, so I make a white sauce, then add a little English mustard and Worcester Sauce, and lots and lots of cheese.

Witzend Sat 06-Apr-19 07:19:01

I've done my cauli/macaroni combo for unexpected guests, when I had a huge cauliflower, plenty of good strong cheddar, and not much else.
There was loads, but it still all went

Anja Sat 06-Apr-19 07:42:55

Yes it’s our local Saturday market today and they are selling big and cheap.