Gransnet forums

Food

Double Cream.

(38 Posts)
gmelon Wed 06-Mar-19 21:30:41

I am partial to a spoon or two of whipped double cream on a dessert.
Does anyone else find that the cream tastes different the next day?
My fridge is bare at the moment just milk and the cream and it still tastes odd today.

janeainsworth Wed 06-Mar-19 21:43:29

No, I don’t usually, gmelon.
Do you keep the cream in the original container with the clip-on top on, or do you put it into something else?
Thinking about it, if we have people round I put the cream into a jug and if there’s any left, cover with cling film before putting back in the fridge. It possibly does then taste a bit different the next day, but not ‘off’.

Beau Wed 06-Mar-19 22:10:21

No, I use cream every day until the 'use by' date and have never noticed any change in taste.

lemongrove Wed 06-Mar-19 22:13:30

Cream tastes the same the next day ( to my tastebuds anyway) I decant into cream jug and cover with foil.
What I have noticed about double cream however is that it isn’t any thicker than single cream!

janeainsworth Wed 06-Mar-19 22:22:29

I think it’s the single cream that has got thicker, Lemon and also the brands differ.
I usually buy single cream (unless I want to whip it) & I’ve noticed that the Co-op’s and Waitrose’s single cream, is thinner than M&S’s version.
I actually prefer it thinner if it’s just for pouring over a pie or flan or fruit salad.

gmelon Wed 06-Mar-19 22:22:39

If I've whipped the cream it's in a bowl. I cover with cling film or foil. This is when it tastes a bit odd. Not gone off just a bit stale.
Kept unwhipped in the original container then it's fine.

janeainsworth Wed 06-Mar-19 22:26:00

I suppose when you’ve whipped it gmelon that you’ve introduced air which perhaps starts some chemical process - maybe oxidation which alters the flavour a little?

B9exchange Wed 06-Mar-19 22:26:08

I don't think whipped cream keeps well, the texture changes after a few hours.

Unwhipped, lasts well, if it is allowed to!

absent Wed 06-Mar-19 22:28:47

lemongrove There really is a difference.

Single cream contains 19% butterfat and is suitable for pouring. You can also buy extra-thick single cream which has been homogenised and can be spooned as a topping. Neither type is suitable for whipping.

Double cream contains 48% butterfat and is suitable for pouring or whipping. Extra-thick double cream which has been homogenised is suitable for spooning as a topping but not for whipping.

FlexibleFriend Wed 06-Mar-19 22:58:20

Double cream just tastes like fat to me.

BradfordLass72 Thu 07-Mar-19 03:17:46

FlexibleFriend - that's because it IS fat !!

Yes, I find if I whip the cream (which I only do if I'm making an elaborate dessert for family) it does change flavour.
I too think the air has a lot to do with it because the cream still left in the bottle tastes the same.

How refreshing not to read one single post saying cream is unhealthy. smile

janeainsworth Thu 07-Mar-19 08:19:02

How refreshing not to read one single post saying cream is unhealthy
We have cream every day with dessert.
And full-fat Greek yoghurt for breakfast.
I enjoy it, thinking of all the calcium and fat-soluble vitamins I’m getting grin

Anja Thu 07-Mar-19 08:29:14

And butter

Riverwalk Thu 07-Mar-19 08:47:00

Dessert every day! shock

janeainsworth Thu 07-Mar-19 09:12:16

Dessert every day!
Yes, we know how to live in Northumberland Riverwalk grin

Riverwalk Thu 07-Mar-19 09:31:17

I had a creme brulee about four weeks ago.

Mind you, I don't look like someone who foregoes puds! Something not quite right here. hmm

Teetime Thu 07-Mar-19 09:33:13

Cream!!! I remember cream!!! sad

janeainsworth Thu 07-Mar-19 09:41:25

Riverwalk dessert is the treat of the day, along with the wine of course.
I don’t have snacks and I haven’t eaten cupcake since we finished the Christmas cake several weeks ago.
Yesterday I was in John Lewis and the ‘partner’ urged me to get a JL card on the grounds I’d be eligible for a free cake once a month.
It occurred to me that that's almost as bad as dishing out free cigarettes and in years to come might well be regarded in that way. shock

Fennel Thu 07-Mar-19 09:44:14

Whipped double cream is halfway to butter. That's how my aunt used to make butter. then the buttermilk separates out.

Riverwalk Thu 07-Mar-19 09:57:28

I hope you put on a stern dentist face Jane when turning down the offer.

In August I took DGD(9) to Peter Jones for school shoes and she was given a voucher for a free ice cream! Nothing wrong with an ice cream as such, just seems an odd thing to give in the childrens' shoe department.

janeainsworth Thu 07-Mar-19 10:08:00

My stern face is well-practised riverwalk grin

Riverwalk Thu 07-Mar-19 10:12:12

I'm just off to Peter Jones - will report back if I get any inappropriate offers!

janeainsworth Thu 07-Mar-19 10:30:24

grin

EllanVannin Thu 07-Mar-19 11:24:28

Ooooh I got some double cream yesterday to have ( as a dip ) with the enormous strawberries, only 6 in the punnet !

Alexa Thu 07-Mar-19 11:48:58

Oh double cream on meringue shells!