Gransnet forums

Food

Double Cream.

(39 Posts)
gmelon Wed 06-Mar-19 21:30:41

I am partial to a spoon or two of whipped double cream on a dessert.
Does anyone else find that the cream tastes different the next day?
My fridge is bare at the moment just milk and the cream and it still tastes odd today.

grannysyb Thu 07-Mar-19 14:15:54

I have a JL card, love the coffee and cake!

lemongrove Thu 07-Mar-19 14:25:16

I will have to buy extra thick double cream in future, as I like to spoon out cream rather than pour.
I had some (lots) of cream on porridge the other day, it was
Super delicious!

Riverwalk Thu 07-Mar-19 14:37:59

No offers at Peter Jones - obviously I don't look in need of a cake!

Dumped my used Nespresso pods, had a mooch around, and bought Brabantia bin bags ..... I used to lead quite an exciting life, don't know what happened! grin

gmelon Thu 07-Mar-19 14:51:10

I think I'll put a couple of drops of vanilla into this cream I've in the fridge.
From now on I'll whip smaller amounts at one time.
Or eat more of it grin

janeainsworth Thu 07-Mar-19 16:32:45

had a mooch around, and bought Brabantia bin bags
Brabantia bin bags are so worth it, aren’t they?
Like double cream grin

GabriellaG54 Sat 09-Mar-19 20:29:50

I love cream. In coffee☕ in my once a week cake treat ? on porridge ? and hot chocolate ?? and indeed, in some soups ??...just a swirl ?

GabriellaG54 Sun 10-Mar-19 01:19:51

Riverwalk
You're quite the one for saving the planet.
Un-recyclable Nespresso pods, un-recyclable bin bags. Pfft.
What a hypocrite.

GrandmainOz Sun 10-Mar-19 03:47:54

You can't get proper double cream here down under. Just "thickened" cream. Not the same! I was more upset though, when I found Bramley apples don't exist here! People use Granny Smiths for any cooked apple recipe. Most upsetting.
So my Sunday special of a family apple crumble with double cream (our treat of the week back in the UK) has bitten the dust.
And no more "proper" applesauce with pork!
Sorry for hijacking cream thread with my cooking apple woes ?

Riverwalk Sun 10-Mar-19 06:22:45

You're quite the one for saving the planet.

What a hypocrite

GabriellaG54 I think you're mixing me up with someone else. hmm

annep1 Sun 10-Mar-19 06:56:05

I have to watch cholesterol and sugar so cream is an occasional treat with dessert. I so look forward to having it on my porridge next morning.

janeainsworth Sun 10-Mar-19 07:34:30

You're quite the one for saving the planet. What a hypocrite

Gosh! shock
Where did that come from?
I don’t use nespresso things but I understood that the pods are in fact recyclable.

As for Brabantia bin bags, the point about them is that because they are thicker and stronger, they never split, so you don’t get the contents of the bin bag leaking into your bin.
This means that the actual bin needs less cleaning = less use of cleaning sprays.

Is it possible to buy bin bags that biodegrade when they go to landfill? I’ve never seen any.

What I have found is that compost caddy liners which claim to be biodegradable don’t actually biodegrade in the compost bin and appear apparently unchanged at the bottom of the bin, so I have given up using them.

Riverwalk Sun 10-Mar-19 13:15:27

Yes Jane there are claims about certain bags being biodegradable but from what I know they're not truly biodegradable just break up into tiny pieces, but they're still there!

If someone has a better solution do please let me know!

janeainsworth Sun 10-Mar-19 13:26:51

riverwalk my latest issue of The Garden (RHS magazine) came wrapped up not in plastic as usual, but in an envelope which they claimed was made of potato starch & therefore compostable.
I’ve put it to the test wink
I doubt it would be strong enough for bin liners but I’m a glass half full person and tend to the view that technology might just rescue us from the effects of global warming.