Gransnet forums

Food

Best method of making real coffee for one

(66 Posts)
Needlewoman Mon 18-Mar-19 17:11:12

I like real coffee but not the hassle and waiting that can be involved in making it. Nor do I have a great deal of worktop space, so that rules out a coffee-making machine.

So, I am now thinking of getting some type of stove-top Moka pot but the choice is bewildering - aluminium or stainless steel, and so many different brands. Which and what would you nice knowledgeable folk recommend?

Thank you.

KatyK Mon 18-Mar-19 17:32:00

It depends want you mean by real coffee. I get so confused these days with all the coffees. We make filter coffee in a cafetierre. It broke last week and I had to buy a new one. I got it in Tesco. They had some very small ones in there which looked like they would make one cup/mug.

aggie Mon 18-Mar-19 17:40:49

I frequent the store that sells stuff you didn't know you ever wanted ! There I bought a one cup drip coffee maker , i fill it with coffee grounds and water switch on rush to bathroom and by the time I have dressed the coffee is ready , I heat the milk in the microwave as the coffee isn't very hot . On the other hand I was bought a one cup cafetiere in the sma place and it is handy too ................. however first thing I am an instant coffee person ......... much to the disgust of my lot wink

KatyK Mon 18-Mar-19 17:45:46

I went to a 40s/50s themed tea shop last week and had a cup of Camp coffee as we used to have it in the house when I was growing up. I felt like I was 12 again, although it tasted pretty awful!

grannyticktock Mon 18-Mar-19 17:46:06

I love my coffee and have a small cafetiere that makes enough for a mugful and then a small topup, perfect for breakfast. It's hardly any more work than instant coffee, the only difference being that you have to wash the pot afterwards (I just do this under the cold tap). Mine is a metal, insulated one, in a rather lovely copper colour. The glass ones are too inclined to break.

jura2 Mon 18-Mar-19 17:48:36

you can buy a small italian cafetière- where you put water in bottom, coffee above in a special sort of sieve, then boil. My local kitchen shop in UK sells them in all sizes and designs, and all the replacement joints, etc.

aggie Mon 18-Mar-19 17:49:37

Thats the one I have grannyticktock but mine is gold coloured , I hate washing out cafetieres , the grounds seem to stick to everything

Auntieflo Mon 18-Mar-19 17:51:14

Camp coffee, made with milk, is a favourite of mine when a bit under the weather. It’s like a hug from the past.
I’ve usually got some as it’s good for coffee and walnut cake, and the icing topping.

CanadianGran Mon 18-Mar-19 17:55:49

We have a Tassimo machine, and others at my office have a Nespresso or Keurig. These all work with pods. It may be more expensive per cup, but there are a variety of choices for types of coffee.
My hubby and I get up at different times, so the coffee in the pot would get a bit 'cooked' tasting. The convenience of an individual cup is handy for us. We generally have only one cup each in the morning, and sometimes I will make myself a latte after dinner.

KatyK Mon 18-Mar-19 17:56:23

It didn't taste like I remembered it, I used to love it. It felt exotic. That was many years ago.

sodapop Mon 18-Mar-19 17:57:12

The stove top ones are good but depends on which type of hob you have. At least the coffee is hot when you get it.

DoraMarr Mon 18-Mar-19 18:09:08

I have a stovetop coffee maker. It makes a really good big cup, or small espresso cups for two or three people. I keep ground cofeee in the freezer so it stays fresh.

Witzend Mon 18-Mar-19 18:20:42

I've got one of those small Italian-type stove top things for one cup.
For more than one I use a simple cafetière.
I don't have worktop room for a fancy machine, and in any case those two do the job perfectly well.

Franbern Tue 28-May-19 19:44:35

Small, one person cafetiere. As I have a hot water maker (instead of kettle, instant hot water for drinks), can make me my occasional mug of coffee in a couple of minutes. Usually find it is good to also heat the milk in microwave. Keep the cafetiere coffee in my fridge=.keep fresher that way. Before washing out the cafetiere put the grounds out into the garden, supposed to help to keep snails, etc away - do not think this is true thought.

GrandmaKT Tue 28-May-19 19:53:39

No, no, no!
What you need is an AeroPress. Honestly, it makes the best coffee ever, is quick and easy to use and is so cheap.
I saw it a couple of years ago on The Gadget Show, where the coffee came out top in blind taste tests.
I like coffee in the morning and DH likes tea, so it's not worth making a cafetiere full,
I eventually bought one last November, and have used it every morning since - I even take it on holiday with me. The coffee is much tastier than a cafetiere and, after a couple of days getting used to it, it is quick and easy to use.
Really, try it!
www.amazon.co.uk/Aerobie-AeroPress-801701-Coffee-Maker/dp/B000GXZ2GS/ref=sr_1_5?s=gateway&crid=2M2QTIR2W2A6I&keywords=coffee+presser&sprefix=coffe+press%2Caps%2C170&tag=gransnetforum-21&qid=1559069290&sr=8-5

MawBroonsback Tue 28-May-19 20:00:37

In three words
Nespresso
George
Clooney

NotSpaghetti Tue 28-May-19 20:05:56

I like my Bialetti.
It just goes on the hob and is perfect every time. A one-cup is too tiny though. Suggest you choose a larger one as the one cup is one small cup!
www.bialetti.com/coffee/stovetop/moka-express-c-1_7_22.html?zenid=74cp3h5v8aumg7njf3b6rff9b0

NotSpaghetti Tue 28-May-19 20:08:03

My son had an AeroPress last year. He takes it to work but never uses it at home.

BBbevan Tue 28-May-19 20:13:29

Coffee bags ?

Squiffy Tue 28-May-19 21:04:42

Coffee bags are my emergency go-to! Actually, not always just for emergencies! blush

JessK Tue 28-May-19 21:18:54

Taylors do really good coffee bags. You can get them in Tesco or on Amazon. Well worth a try

Bathsheba Tue 28-May-19 21:59:18

I have a cup from Whittards, with a deep nylon filter thingy that sits inside. And a lid. Coffee grounds in filter, hot (not boiling) water poured over to fill cup, lid on and wait a few minutes. Lift out filter, et voila! A lovely cup of proper coffee, all made in the cup!

crazyH Tue 28-May-19 22:10:01

Kenco Columbian Instant

NanKate Tue 28-May-19 22:15:38

I buy from M and S or Waitrose coffee filters. You just plonk them on a cup/mug pour hot water in and when it has filtered through in about a minute you throw the plastic container away. They do them in a variety of strengths a blends. Simples.

Sussexborn Tue 28-May-19 22:25:12

Tesco coffee filters 1, or occasionally 2, every day with milk heated in the microwave. OH has Nescafé but rarely drinks tea.

I went off instant coffee in 1976 when pregnant with DS and still can’t drink it now.