Gransnet forums

Food

Best method of making real coffee for one

(67 Posts)
Needlewoman Mon 18-Mar-19 17:11:12

I like real coffee but not the hassle and waiting that can be involved in making it. Nor do I have a great deal of worktop space, so that rules out a coffee-making machine.

So, I am now thinking of getting some type of stove-top Moka pot but the choice is bewildering - aluminium or stainless steel, and so many different brands. Which and what would you nice knowledgeable folk recommend?

Thank you.

Auntieflo Tue 28-May-19 22:41:17

Thought I was a dinosaur, as I have a Tassimo machine, but only use it occasionally.
I second CrazyH with Kenco Colombian instant. I have tried others, but always go back to that one.

Vonners Wed 29-May-19 00:18:30

We've used Tassimo but are reluctant to buy the capsules as recycling them is not straightforward. The coffee is consistantly good though.
Now regularly use a French Press (aka cafetiere), we have 2 sizes, the smaller ideal for 1 person. Loathe cleaning them though! I keep the grounds to put around the camellias.
Have recently experienced the Aeropress and would definitely buy this the next time I need a replacement. It's like a long tube and plunger, uses a small filter in the bottom, then the coffee. Ideal for 1 person. To clean you just turn it upside down, coffee grounds and filter drop out, easy to wash remaining parts.

RD001 Wed 29-May-19 07:36:57

Cafetière every time. We get rid of the dregs by use of a tea strainer, usually passing the water three or four times between jug and cafetière. Dregs in bin and no clogged up drain.

M0nica Wed 29-May-19 09:11:03

I have some coffee bags. In fact I am drinking a cup of coffee made with one at teh moment. Pop it into the mug, pour on boiling water. Bingo, with in minutes one cup of coffee, no fiddling with cafetieres or any other equipment.

Teetime Wed 29-May-19 09:18:29

I still use a cafetiere (French press) you can get nice small ones. I have tried lots of coffee machines and have gone back to this method.

Alexa Wed 29-May-19 09:34:37

I infuse it in one mug and strain it into another mug then put it in the microwave to reheat

J52 Wed 29-May-19 09:50:47

DH is coffee oholic. and has tried every method known to man and woman. Most are now sitting in the cupboard or passed on to DCs!

We have a lovely Sage barista machine, but for one quick cup, out comes the old fashioned plastic cone, filter paper with a couple of spoonfuls of ground coffee.

J52 Wed 29-May-19 09:51:37

PS spent coffee grounds are saved and put on the garden.

Happiyogi Wed 29-May-19 10:53:59

J52, it sounds like we're married to the same man!

All the experiments thoroughly conducted and revisited (same equipment, different coffees) over the years before finally settling on a ceramic cone and filter papers. At least I hope it's finally!

J52 Wed 29-May-19 11:02:15

Happi he’s making one as I write! 🤣

At least no one ever asks me to make the coffee, when I’ve got an expert in the house.grin

J52 Wed 29-May-19 11:03:50

Also sends for the ultimate coffee from Roast and Post. Roasted for your order.

HildaW Wed 29-May-19 11:18:30

I had been using a French press for years but disposing of the grounds is a bit messy. Since moving I've bought a little Melitta coffee filter machine as it uses a filter paper that easily lifts into the food waste box and is much cleaner. I bought the one with an insulated jug rather than a little hot plate. In the morning I set it up to make about a pint of coffee and the insulated jug keeps it warm and fresh (its filtered so does not stew like the French press) until lunch time so I do not waste so much. It does not take up much room at all and once the coffee is made you turn it off so its very economical.

PamelaJ1 Wed 29-May-19 12:02:22

We got a proper coffee machine free with our new kitchen 8 years ago. As we hadn’t realised we we re getting it we hadn’t left room for it to be integrated with the units? DH made a unit for it to sit in and we put it in the utility room!
We hardly ever used it. Too much faff.
We now just use a cafetière and throw the grounds in the garden.
We needed a new kettle so bought one at the weekend. It gives a choice of temperature for different drinks so no more counting to 10 before pouring the water onto the coffee.

NotSpaghetti Wed 29-May-19 13:57:55

PamelaJ1 - what is a “proper coffee machine” please?

annep1 Wed 29-May-19 14:32:07

Friends love the Aeropress. I haven't bought as I'm not sure how much muscle energy is required to push it down. (Upper back problems ). I have an insulated cafetiere my daughter bought me. It's simple too.
But my favourite coffee is Kenco decaff!

Tweedle24 Wed 29-May-19 14:40:52

My sister gave me a small cafetière which does me fine. I have a small electric grinder for the coffee beans.

GrandmaKT Wed 29-May-19 18:00:46

Wow OP, you've had about as many different methods as you have had replies!
annepl, yes, it does require a bit of strength to push the plunger down. On mornings when I am feeling weak, I press it down with my chin!
Another advantage of Aeropress I forgot to mention is that the grounds come out in a kind of 'cake' which can go straight in the food recycling or the garden.

Happiyogi Wed 29-May-19 18:43:07

J52, I'm convinced. Either one and the same, or identical and separated at birth! grin

annep1 Wed 29-May-19 18:58:14

Thanks GrandmaKT for the info. I thought so. Shame. Everyone I know loves it.

Squiffy Thu 30-May-19 11:23:03

I gave my Aeropress away! It does produce great coffee and is easy peasy to clean, but it hurt my back too much to press the plunger down!

Gonegirl Thu 30-May-19 11:27:12

Yes, I couldn't use mine when my back was bad. (Aeropress)

It makes good coffee but so fiddly! cba with it.

Any old jug and a fine mesh strainer is fine.

Gonegirl Thu 30-May-19 11:30:16

You should never boil coffee (think the stove top ones do that) You get cholesterol inducing stuff that way.

Witzend Thu 30-May-19 11:32:40

I've got one of those little Italian pots - forget what they're called - that sit on the hob. It was a present, mini size, nice pale green colour - and makes a v nice cup quickly.

Gonegirl Thu 30-May-19 12:21:13

Good luck with the cholesterol.

Riverwalk Thu 30-May-19 12:37:14

The stove top pots don't boil the coffee - they boil the water which spurts the steam up into the coffee grounds.