Gransnet forums

Food

planning meals

(61 Posts)
Carolina55 Mon 25-Mar-19 21:12:17

True M0nica- I’ve been known to amend the whole week’s plan because so much lovely food was in the reduced section and recipes came into my head thick and fast as I was loading it all into my trolley!

Only downside to the above is DH often asks what’s for dinner tonight over breakfast, spends all day looking forward to it and is totally nonplussed when I serve up the days bargain buy!

M0nica Mon 25-Mar-19 21:05:52

hdh74planning doesn't stop you buying bargains when they appear. I often do last minute adjustments to my plan when I am in the supermarket because either there is a bargain, or something key isn't in stock.

Carolina55 Mon 25-Mar-19 20:57:37

I could have written M0nica’s post, every sentence!

BBbevan Mon 25-Mar-19 20:50:06

I plan all my weekly meals on a Thursday. Make a shopping list of what is needed, and go shopping on Friday. Fridge is very empty by Wednesday but we don't throw much away. Any vegetables left over at the end of the week are made into soup. DH and I follow a low carb diet ,I cook from scratch every day.

MawBroon Mon 25-Mar-19 20:36:33

Does anybody remember Jocasta Innes’s “The Pauper’s s Cook Book”

She would give recipes and shopping lists to feed a family in the most economical way using and adapting leftovers to make something different. Brilliant book, full of good sense and inspiration. It was my bible in the 70’s !
She not only taught me to plan but to avoid any waste whatsoever.
Wish I could turn the clock back!

merlotgran Mon 25-Mar-19 20:29:41

I like to plan ahead and always make a shopping list. I do have 'use up' days though and concoct something out of whatever's in the fridge.

I don't bother bulk cooking as things would just lurk in the freezer but I do make chicken stock and soups which are frozen in plastic take-away containers as they are a perfect size for two portions and stack neatly.

hdh74 Mon 25-Mar-19 20:00:35

I like to plan meals for about half the week, so I know what to shop for, then just throw together whatever I want the rest of the week. When I make a stew or curry or whatever I make enough to freeze for another day so there's usually some stuff in there that just wants reheating. I like to pick up odd bargains that are marked down at the shop too so don't want it all planned out as never know what will be going cheap.

M0nica Mon 25-Mar-19 19:40:39

I have planned my weekly menus, since I first started work and was living away from home. Supermarkets closed at 5pm so I could only do a food shop on Saturday. I also used to go down to the local Saturday market and stock up with fruit and veg and there was a marvellous butcher and cheese store there. The main thing is to build in some elasticity into your plan so if something happens you can do a quick replan.

I always start my weekly plan by surveying the fridge to see what needs to be used up, before writing out a plan, check the recipe for any meals that require one for that odd ingredient you always forget and do not forget to check your stock of any herb/spice you need. I have been caught out that way.

I also bulk cook. I will cook a casserole using a lb of meat and then put a portion on each plate and portion the rest into containers in the freezer. That way I currently have a stock of about 20 home made ready meals in the freezer, for days when I cannot be bothered or do not have time to cook.

Susan56 Mon 25-Mar-19 18:07:24

We planned the weeks meals for the first time yesterday then went shopping.We were so tired when we got home,we just had beans on toast so already our plan is out the window but we will keep trying.

Oldandverygrey Mon 25-Mar-19 17:30:48

Fennel, I plan ahead for a weeks meals. Am on SW food plan, so have to be fairly disciplined,

Fennel Mon 25-Mar-19 17:09:56

Following on from the 'Scratch meals' thread, do any of you plan menus in advance? Or just go from day to day?
I've got to the age when it's quite an effort to produce a healthy main meal every day. We have a filling lunch and a light supper, whatever we fancy.
I asked my husband and he said "eggs beans on toast every day for me". But I would hate that.
I've wondered about planning a week's menus, then a shopping list and shop once a week. But I enjoy shopping smile.