Gransnet forums

Food

Does anybody remember

(61 Posts)
supermum48 Thu 18-Apr-19 19:11:43

Honey buns - these were sold in a ring of 4 with powdered icing sugar on top. When you bit into them you tasted the honey. Delicious.
Lemon buns - bread buns topped with lemon icing with cream inside.
Wimberry tarts - a pastry case with wimberries inside and sometimes cream on top. When you bit into them, the juice ran out. So delicious, but wimberries don't seem to exist any more.
I had all these as a child in Manchester. Don't know whether they were a Northern thing or nationwide, but haven't seen any of them for years.

Bijou Fri 19-Apr-19 11:19:49

When I lived in Hampshire we had lardy cake. I remember those tiny Hovis loaves. My son, now seventy, used to call them teddy bear loaves when he was a toddler.

harrigran Fri 19-Apr-19 11:28:01

I loved the little Hovis loaves, we used to buy them fresh out of the oven for a penny, when we walked to school. The only sweet bun I remember is an iced finger until we made Chelsea buns in cookery lesson.

SueDoku Fri 19-Apr-19 12:08:02

Black Country born and bred - AND living opposite Robinson's cake shop as a child - I stood no chance..! grin
Lemon and coffee buns, pineapple creams (with a chunk of real pineapple at the bottom), iced buns - pink or white - and ring o' buns (six small buns baked in a circle around a central one, all with icing on top), egg custards, chunks of lardy cake, 'cream' doughnuts, chocolate eclairs, treacle tarts... No wonder I've least had a sweet tooth..! wink

SueDoku Fri 19-Apr-19 12:09:30

*always - don't know where 'least' came from...!!

kitnsimon Fri 19-Apr-19 12:12:18

Bilberries as we call them in Macclesfield, Cheshire, are delicious but so hard to find ! We used to collect them from Teggs Nose with Dad many years ago. I never see them for sale, does anyone ?

grandtanteJE65 Fri 19-Apr-19 12:23:01

I remember the lemon buns, we could get them in the Glasgow area too, but not the others,

They sound marvellous.

toscalily Fri 19-Apr-19 12:28:33

Devonshire splits & Lardy cake bring back memories but some of the others I have not heard of. Probably far too time consuming & not very cost effective to pick Bilberries now especially when blueberries are so widely available. The tiny wild strawberries are lovely too, just need a handful to liven up some vanilla ice-cream and they taste so different to the cultivated varieties. Lakeland sell the little loaf tins.

Nonnie Fri 19-Apr-19 13:16:23

I must have had a deprived childhood because I don't recognise any of those!

Yes, I too loved the little Hovis loaves and now love the Hovis biscuits which I don't buy because I would eat them all!

Our local baker used to make cream buns with icing sugar on the top. Not real cream but they were delicious. If you went in to the shop in the morning you could buy a bag of stale cakes from the day before for a 'hapenny'! These days cakes don't go stale in a day.

Northerngirl28 Fri 19-Apr-19 13:20:25

Love this thread. My Dad bought my brother and I tiny hovis loaves whilst we were waiting for my younger brother to arrive upstairs, tiny bread and jam sandwiches.
I also picked bilberries from the Chevin at Otley. My brothers and I were sent out for the morning with the promise of pie for tea if we got enough. I loved it!

Amee Fri 19-Apr-19 13:43:16

I don't recognise any of these, but they sound lovely.

I do remember enjoying a cheesecake though, that was made of pasty, jam inside and covered in big strands of coconut, nothing like the creamy popular version known today. (I grew up in the South).

Amee Fri 19-Apr-19 13:45:26

pastry smile

00mam00 Fri 19-Apr-19 14:08:18

You can still get lardy cake, but no where near as lardy as I remember them, with lovely crunchy bits where the sugar caramelised. Glazed ring doughnuts seem to have disappeared.

I used to buy Day old cakes from a local baker very cheap in the 50s on my way home from Saturday morning pics.

trendygran Fri 19-Apr-19 14:18:37

Growing up in Yorkshire used to love bilberry tarts,but never heard the term whinberry before, until just now.

Callistemon Fri 19-Apr-19 14:37:55

I thought that I had posted about saffron loaf (known locally as 'dough cake'), spread with butter, but my post isn't on here.

Perhaps it's on another thread, oh dear!

TanaMa Fri 19-Apr-19 15:19:08

Picking winberries is very popular in the Brecon Beacons where I live. Young lads collect and sell them for pocket money.

sodapop Fri 19-Apr-19 15:52:00

Curd tarts for me, always have to buy at least three one when I go back to the UK.
I remember the small hovis loaves as well. In the late 60s we had a baker who came round in his van on a Sunday morning, he used to shout "hot bread" and we had it for breakfast still warm from the oven - delicious.

toscalily Fri 19-Apr-19 16:27:32

Last time I had Lardy cake was from a food festival three or four years ago, tasted nice & I enjoyed it but was not quite as my memory told me it should be. Probably as 00mam00 said, not quite so lardy now.

Nannyxthree Fri 19-Apr-19 17:20:31

I cannot recognize the description of Sally Lunn's either GROWINGOLDDISGRACEFULLY. I've only tried the sweet ones in Bath so must go back and sample the others!
Dough cakes and lardy cakes in Wiltshire. Otherwise 'penny' buns and iced fingers. I don't remember any of the others mentioned except the mini Hovis - loved those.

Skinnylizzie Fri 19-Apr-19 18:10:37

I adored bilberry tart. Haven’t had it for years!!! So much nicer than any other fruit tart ever!

Bluecat Fri 19-Apr-19 18:19:31

Anyone remember Kunzel cakes? Chocolate case, a bit of sponge at the base and topped with buttercream... I could just eat one now!

Grandmama Fri 19-Apr-19 19:01:26

Supermum48: not the best post to read at the end of Good Friday - I'm starving! But I have lost half a stone over Lent.

Lemon buns - Elizabeth Botham's bakery in Whitby still makes them, we always buy some when we go there.

One of our local bakeries, sadly it closed many years ago, used to make Russian slices from the previous day's left over cakes. They were delicious.

Grandma70s Fri 19-Apr-19 19:19:22

I associate lardy cake with Wiltshire, too. Delicious and incredibly unhealthy.

Gonegirl Fri 19-Apr-19 19:31:24

I saw a lardy cake in a village shop today. Looked so gorgeous. All shiny, sugary and crispy. Luckily daughter was with me and dragged me out of the shop before I caved in and bought one.

blondenana Fri 19-Apr-19 19:47:37

I used to love bilberry pie,not heard of them for years, are they a west Yorkshire berry, ? i lived in WY years ago, and have not seen any since i left,i thought the name had probably just been changed

Callistemon Fri 19-Apr-19 20:04:34

There are bilberries all over the country, on heathland, moorland, mountainsides etc.
However, they are very tiny and it takes a long time to pick enough for a tart or pie.

I haven't picked any for years.