Gransnet forums

Food

Does anybody remember

(61 Posts)
supermum48 Thu 18-Apr-19 19:11:43

Honey buns - these were sold in a ring of 4 with powdered icing sugar on top. When you bit into them you tasted the honey. Delicious.
Lemon buns - bread buns topped with lemon icing with cream inside.
Wimberry tarts - a pastry case with wimberries inside and sometimes cream on top. When you bit into them, the juice ran out. So delicious, but wimberries don't seem to exist any more.
I had all these as a child in Manchester. Don't know whether they were a Northern thing or nationwide, but haven't seen any of them for years.

Amee Fri 19-Apr-19 13:43:16

I don't recognise any of these, but they sound lovely.

I do remember enjoying a cheesecake though, that was made of pasty, jam inside and covered in big strands of coconut, nothing like the creamy popular version known today. (I grew up in the South).

Northerngirl28 Fri 19-Apr-19 13:20:25

Love this thread. My Dad bought my brother and I tiny hovis loaves whilst we were waiting for my younger brother to arrive upstairs, tiny bread and jam sandwiches.
I also picked bilberries from the Chevin at Otley. My brothers and I were sent out for the morning with the promise of pie for tea if we got enough. I loved it!

Nonnie Fri 19-Apr-19 13:16:23

I must have had a deprived childhood because I don't recognise any of those!

Yes, I too loved the little Hovis loaves and now love the Hovis biscuits which I don't buy because I would eat them all!

Our local baker used to make cream buns with icing sugar on the top. Not real cream but they were delicious. If you went in to the shop in the morning you could buy a bag of stale cakes from the day before for a 'hapenny'! These days cakes don't go stale in a day.

toscalily Fri 19-Apr-19 12:28:33

Devonshire splits & Lardy cake bring back memories but some of the others I have not heard of. Probably far too time consuming & not very cost effective to pick Bilberries now especially when blueberries are so widely available. The tiny wild strawberries are lovely too, just need a handful to liven up some vanilla ice-cream and they taste so different to the cultivated varieties. Lakeland sell the little loaf tins.

grandtanteJE65 Fri 19-Apr-19 12:23:01

I remember the lemon buns, we could get them in the Glasgow area too, but not the others,

They sound marvellous.

kitnsimon Fri 19-Apr-19 12:12:18

Bilberries as we call them in Macclesfield, Cheshire, are delicious but so hard to find ! We used to collect them from Teggs Nose with Dad many years ago. I never see them for sale, does anyone ?

SueDoku Fri 19-Apr-19 12:09:30

*always - don't know where 'least' came from...!!

SueDoku Fri 19-Apr-19 12:08:02

Black Country born and bred - AND living opposite Robinson's cake shop as a child - I stood no chance..! grin
Lemon and coffee buns, pineapple creams (with a chunk of real pineapple at the bottom), iced buns - pink or white - and ring o' buns (six small buns baked in a circle around a central one, all with icing on top), egg custards, chunks of lardy cake, 'cream' doughnuts, chocolate eclairs, treacle tarts... No wonder I've least had a sweet tooth..! wink

harrigran Fri 19-Apr-19 11:28:01

I loved the little Hovis loaves, we used to buy them fresh out of the oven for a penny, when we walked to school. The only sweet bun I remember is an iced finger until we made Chelsea buns in cookery lesson.

Bijou Fri 19-Apr-19 11:19:49

When I lived in Hampshire we had lardy cake. I remember those tiny Hovis loaves. My son, now seventy, used to call them teddy bear loaves when he was a toddler.

Growing0ldDisgracefully Fri 19-Apr-19 11:19:31

Confused about the Sally Lunn's: I used to work in Bath, which has Sally Lunn's bakery and tea shop (dating back to medieval times), which sells Sally Lunn buns. These are HUGE buns, which can have either sweet or savoury fillings or toppings. Usually one half of such a bun is sufficient for a meal! (I know, I have waddled out of there a few times after stuffing my face on one .....). ?

BrandyButter Fri 19-Apr-19 11:16:13

Oh yes you must always butter the iced-buns with real butter as well not the 'margarine' fake butters. I always used the tiny hovis to make sandwiches for dolls tea parties, cute and delicious. I even used to eat them with fish or beef paste on . I would rather eat grass now than have to eat that horrible paste grin, I am glad to say my food palate has progressed since those days, I wouldn't mind them now with a bit of philly and smoked salmon smile

Legs55 Fri 19-Apr-19 11:07:09

My mouth is watering at the thought of Whinberries, I remember them from my Yorkshire childhood, here in the South West they call them Whortleberries, NT Property Shops often have the jam on sale, it's delicious. The proper jam for a Cream Tea on Exmoor I believe.

Teddy111 Fri 19-Apr-19 10:56:48

My father used to take me in his lorry to Smithfield wholesale vegetable market where he sold his loads of spuds. He always bought me a Manchester tart. The other lorry drivers used to buy me Teddy bear shaped ice lollies. Never seen them anywhere else.They were lovely.65 years ago.

GrandmaMoira Fri 19-Apr-19 10:51:27

I loved the tiny Hovis loaves. I wonder why they stopped as we do still have Hovis bread.
I've not heard of iced buns being buttered and I've never heard of any of the other cakes/buns even though my mother came from Lancashire.

Maggiemaybe Fri 19-Apr-19 10:47:41

How could I have forgotten the tiny Hovis loaves? They must still have been around in the 80s as I can remember my DC loving them too.

Camelotclub Fri 19-Apr-19 10:41:35

P.S. You seem to have better cakes in t'North!

Camelotclub Fri 19-Apr-19 10:39:31

Urmstongran
I love Manchester tarts but as I'm darn sarf we don't get them here!

MamaCaz Fri 19-Apr-19 08:02:17

During a wine-making phase a few years ago, I picked about 16lbs of bilberries in one day, because we had read that they make a good wine. You can imagine how long that took me! grin

I love bilberry pie, but prefer homemade - the bought tarts used to be too sweet for me.

BradfordLass72 Fri 19-Apr-19 07:55:46

Tiny Hovis loaves!! Oh, my goodness they were wonderful sliced (for my teddy and me) spread with butter and home made Lemon Curd.

I spent hours collecting and eating Bilberries on Harden Banks and on the moors above Otley (not the Chevin) and I agree, they have a taste all their own - and one I miss very much.

In Manningham, Lambert's Bakery on Thornton Road used to make the best bread and divine cream slices which we had as an occasional treat.
Oh the days of wine and roses whinberry and Hovis. grin

Willow500 Fri 19-Apr-19 05:30:02

I do remember the buns with lemon icing on the top and Russian slices.

We also used to be able to buy tiny Hovis loaves at our local bakery for tuppence - I loved to eat them plain with no butter/

Nannytopsy Thu 18-Apr-19 23:47:46

We used to pick bilberries on Cannock Chase. In the Black Country we got the lemon buns and also ones with coffee icing.

sassenach512 Thu 18-Apr-19 23:17:05

Oh lemongrove warm newly baked curd tarts absolutely delicious ? 'Thomas' a famous bakers chain in Yorkshire still make the best curd tarts IMO

BBbevan Thu 18-Apr-19 20:32:38

My grandmother made a wonderful whinberry tart. We would go up the mountain behind her house and pick a bowl full I think most of the bushes have gone now though.

lemongrove Thu 18-Apr-19 20:28:21

Bilberries ( also known as windberries) grew on the moors in Yorkshire ( probably on lots of moors.)
Greengrocers sold them at certain times of the year, and they were stewed and served with the cream at the top of the milk bottle...yum.
You can still buy Sally Lunns ( yes, delicious split and buttered.)Also (in Yorkshire) Russian slices and curd tarts.