Gransnet forums

Food

Does anybody remember

(60 Posts)
kittylester Thu 18-Apr-19 20:21:09

My phone has a mind of its own!

Arent bilberries and wimberries the same thing?

Grandma70s Thu 18-Apr-19 20:16:24

They turn your mouth purple, but a delicious taste quite unlike anything else.

Callistemon Thu 18-Apr-19 20:13:44

I don't remember any of those delights!

Yes, kittylester, whinberries and bilberries are the same thing. I used to pick bilberries for my mother to make a pie and it took hours to get enough as they are so tiny.

kittylester Thu 18-Apr-19 20:02:49

Arent bilberrues and whimverrues the same thing? Xx

Maggiemaybe Thu 18-Apr-19 19:46:08

Oh, bilberry tarts, yes please! And Devonshire splits, with jam and cream inside. Stop it now, I'm on a fast day!

midgey Thu 18-Apr-19 19:29:15

Had Sally Lunn spread with butter when I was at college in Bradford. Delish!

Joelsnan Thu 18-Apr-19 19:26:36

Must be a Manchester thing.
In Yorkshire we had (have) Bilberry Tarts which sound a bit like your Wimberry Tarts. You can collect the Bilberries from the moors towards the end of July. The tarts are delicious either open with whipped cream or as a pie with custard. Left your teeth and lips purple though.
We had (have) iced buns some used to call Sally Lunns, which are fingers of soft bread with icing on top only. These are often split and spread with butter.
I haven't heard of Honey buns though they sound nice.

Coolgran65 Thu 18-Apr-19 19:21:24

I recall donkey's lugs.
About six buns in a circle but they were teardrop shaped, rather like donkey's ears.

Urmstongran Thu 18-Apr-19 19:15:28

Stop this right now.

I’m from Manchester and I remember all these and you are making my mouth water just thinking about these treats!

supermum48 Thu 18-Apr-19 19:11:43

Honey buns - these were sold in a ring of 4 with powdered icing sugar on top. When you bit into them you tasted the honey. Delicious.
Lemon buns - bread buns topped with lemon icing with cream inside.
Wimberry tarts - a pastry case with wimberries inside and sometimes cream on top. When you bit into them, the juice ran out. So delicious, but wimberries don't seem to exist any more.
I had all these as a child in Manchester. Don't know whether they were a Northern thing or nationwide, but haven't seen any of them for years.