Gransnet forums

Food

What’s for breakfast?

(77 Posts)
Mamissimo Sun 12-May-19 09:44:01

I’m devouring the left overs of last night’s Chinese takeaway this morning before the other incumbents find it ?

I normally don’t eat until 1.00pm because I have a pathological dislike of the usual breakfast fare but I can be tempted by cheese....or fruit cake.

What do you breakfast on?

Maggiemaybe Sun 12-May-19 16:30:40

I genuinely love Weetabix and Shredded Wheat, so that’s my usual, with berries if I have any. Occasionally porridge with yoghurt if I fancy it. Or a boiled egg, with toast or halloumi soldiers. DH loves a full English, and fortunately makes a good one, so we have that maybe once a week as a brunch.

shysal Sun 12-May-19 16:50:51

I confine my day's eating to an 8 hour slot (16:8), so I call it a brunch and eat anything that takes my fancy. I have things like eggs or mushrooms on toast or a bacon sandwich, which will last me until my evening meal. Today I baked a mini Camembert in the oven and dipped a freshly baked baguette into it.

lizzypopbottle Sun 12-May-19 19:27:16

Yes, Mamissimo Trendy it may be but I do enjoy avocado on toast and, since I'm trying to lower my cholesterol, it's good for me! I also have porridge regularly (for the same reason), made oat milk for an extra fibre hit, half a dozen prunes and some blueberries. Both are favourite cholesterol busting breakfasts. I admit that if there's anything left from a takeaway meal, I try to get rid of it (i.e. bin it not eat it) before anyone else thinks of eating it next day. Yuck!

wildswan16 Sun 12-May-19 19:48:32

Overnight porridge, made with oats, half tsp cinnamon, tbsp ground up sunflower and flax seeds, and soy milk. Chuck in the blueberries in the morning.

I much prefer it now to hot porridge - but it aint half getting complicated to make !

BradfordLass72 Sun 12-May-19 21:29:05

It varies for me too.
I don't breakfast until late, usually after 10:45 and it's brunch really. It depends what's in the fridge and what I feel like.

For quite a long time, I had a fad for poached egg and spinach on Paleo toast but seem to have gone off that.

Occasionally I'll have the Paleo bread with cream cheese and tomato with lots of pepper, a real favourite at any time.

I drink strong, decaf coffee as soon as I get up and that puts me on until I feel like solid food.

Very occasionally, when I go to my elders group, and everyone else is tucking into $3 (£1.50) bacon and egg and tomato toasties, it whets my appetite and I may have a cheese and onion one about 10:30 am.

I rarely eat cereal but I'll make a bowl of muesli sometimes: 2 tbs oats, sultanas, a prune or two, a banana, sunflower and pumpkin seeds. That's a summertime breakfast, eaten out on the sunny deck and I share the seeds with the wild birds who know me of old and flock to the nearest tree, waiting. grin

GabriellaG54 Sat 18-May-19 11:50:49

I quite like leftover pasta, usually tagliatelle, pappardelle or fettuccine, eaten cold with herbs, sometimes with tinned skipjack tuna steak in vegetable oil (completely drained) and some melted butter, chilli flakes, Parmigiano Reggiano and coarsely ground black pepper. Yummy.
That fills me until dinner at 6ish. Otherwise it's scrambled chilli eggs on a split toasted muffin or thick Greek yogurt with Lizi's treacle granola, blueberries, a whole sliced banana and chopped Medjool dates. Cappuccino or tap water to drink.

Urmstongran Sat 18-May-19 12:03:49

Ooh Ijust had my weekly treat of fried bacon and an egg on toast! We tried the nitrate free bacon a few weeks ago, didn’t like it so would rather have bacon with nitrates once a week.

Even the smell of it frying is wonderful! ?

oldgaijin Sun 16-Jun-19 01:06:15

I find cold apple/rhubarb/apricot crumble very acceptable.

sharon103 Sun 16-Jun-19 01:39:11

Kelloggs Coco Pops for me every morning for years.

PageTurner Sun 16-Jun-19 03:27:27

We usually have vanilla flavored high protein yogurt with fresh frozen fruit and granola on top. Along with that either toasted French bread with honey or homemade jam or Toaster Pastries.
About once a week I fry eggs courtesy of our chicken, toast or muffin, sausage and orange juice.
Pancakes or waffles sometimes if I'm feeling energetic in the morning. (Not very often)

crystaltipps Sun 16-Jun-19 07:28:18

Orange juice, jasmine tea, porridge made with almond milk with banana, berries and soy yoghurt and some chia seeds. Coffee later.

janeainsworth Sun 16-Jun-19 07:34:30

The thought of a Chinese takeaway at this time of day makes me feel quite queasy ?

I shall get up soon and have my usual breakfast of oats soaked in milk with Greek yoghurt, mixed seeds, prunes & apricots, orange juice and another cup of tea.

tanith Sun 16-Jun-19 07:48:54

Bran flakes with raspberries/strawberries most mornings with toast and marmalade on a Saturday always with tea porridge in the Winter although I love a full English every so often on a Sunday.

EllanVannin Sun 16-Jun-19 08:02:33

My usual two thickly-buttered crumpets and hot chocolate.
Now and again I have elevenses and today I can see me finishing off duck and orange pate on toast------then a roast lamb dinner later, never later than 6 though.

cornergran Sun 16-Jun-19 08:05:52

Taking Mr C out for a Fathers Day breakfast. Full English for him, scrambled egg and smoked salmon for me. Usually porridge for Mr C and if I have breakfast, often don’t, fruit for me. Best get moving or we won’t get there grin.

sodapop Sun 16-Jun-19 08:52:45

Made me feel hungry reading these posts. I couldn't face leftovers in the morning either.
Glass of cold water when I get up then walk the dogs, empty the dishwasher then tine for breakfast. Coffee and a bowl of cereal - usually crunchy granola type of cereal with berries.

Riverwalk Sun 16-Jun-19 09:03:49

Scrambled eggs with butter and chilli flakes, two crispbreads & coffee - eaten at 06.30 before a 90 minute brisk walk smile

annep1 Sun 16-Jun-19 09:11:25

Porridge made on the hob, a little stevia, blueberries, yoghurt (Fage ) cinnamon. Sometimes crushed walnuts. Every so often I have cheese melted on toast or chopped fruits and yoghurt minus the porridge.

annep1 Sun 16-Jun-19 09:12:18

Riverwalk gosh! I'm impressed.

Greyduster Sun 16-Jun-19 09:54:54

Usually porridge, but a slice of sourdough toast and honey this morning.

BlueSapphire Sun 16-Jun-19 11:12:56

Late breakfast/brunch for me - I am about to have a sausage butty!

mumofmadboys Sun 16-Jun-19 13:05:31

Bowl of home mixed muesli for me most mornings

Riverwalk Sun 16-Jun-19 19:51:40

Riverwalk gosh! I'm impressed.

annep1 I'm awake very early so might as well get out and about, particularly as the weather is so unpredictable!

Barleysugar Sun 16-Jun-19 20:52:29

Usually Weetabix with a chopped banana or blueberries. 2 cups of freshly brewed coffee, & occasionally either 2 fried, poached or boiled eggs.
Sometimes Porridge with golden syrup in the winter!

Nansnet Mon 17-Jun-19 07:58:13

I like overnight oats made with almond milk, grated apple & cinnamon. Sometimes I add sunflower seeds and sliced almonds, or whatever I have in the cupboard. I tend to make a batch and we have it for a few days, so no need to prep it every night. Also, I like Greek yogurt with mixed fresh berries and a drizzle of honey, sometimes I add some seeds or chopped nuts. Or some homemade toasted granola sprinkled on Greek yogurt. If I want something hot, I like baked eggs with spinach & tomato. If it's the weekend, bacon & eggs!