Gransnet forums

Food

Flat Peaches

(34 Posts)
GrandmaKT Fri 21-Jun-19 17:40:36

Morrisons have Flat Peaches at £1 for 1 kg! Does anyone have any recipes for them please?

MawBroonsback Sat 29-Jun-19 09:51:45

Mmmm!
One of my favourites with any sort of peach or nectarine is to cut them in half, stone them, dip the cut side in brown or golden granulated sugar and then cook cut side down in a little butter on a griddle or ridged frying pan.
Serve with a dollop of crime fraiche in the middle.

MawBroonsback Sat 29-Jun-19 12:16:12

Creme fraiche
Not what my predictive text wrote! ?‍♂️ !

Fennel Sun 30-Jun-19 10:37:51

Ellan re blackcurrants.
You can buy bags of frozen summer fruit at Tesco etc which contain blackcurrants. Stewed in the microwave with some sugar, a lovely topping for vanilla icecream.
If you spill it's difficult to get the stain out.
As for peaches, they never seem ripe enough to me.

eazybee Sun 30-Jun-19 14:09:34

I love the donut peaches, but would only buy them from a green grocer's shop; the ones in the supermarket are so heavily chilled they do not ripen and soften.

Blondiescot Tue 02-Jul-19 10:04:02

Supermarket peaches - flat or otherwise - always seem so tasteless to me. The nicest peaches I've ever had were when we were on holiday in Turkey and had a peach tree overhanging our balcony - they were amazing, so ripe and juicy (mind you, all the fruit in Turkey tastes so much nicer than what we get here...)

ayse Tue 02-Jul-19 10:21:15

Loved the fruit and veg in Turkey. Everything bought in season. The black cherries were lush as well and it was the first time eating mulberries.

M0nica Tue 02-Jul-19 11:19:46

They are heavenly, so much fuller of flavour than round peaches and deliciously juicy - and easier to get in your mouth so that the juice leaks less.

I have never cooked a peach in my life (except tinned) because they are so delicious raw, they never get any further.

felice Tue 02-Jul-19 14:12:33

I am cooking peaches poached in fresh strawberry syrup with raspberry liquer for a dinner tomorrow evening.
Goes to local supermarket and the only peaches they have are the donut ones.
Cooking now so hope they are ok.