Gransnet forums

Food

Flat Peaches

(33 Posts)
GrandmaKT Fri 21-Jun-19 17:40:36

Morrisons have Flat Peaches at £1 for 1 kg! Does anyone have any recipes for them please?

Septimia Fri 21-Jun-19 17:45:40

Last time I bought some we just ate them! No recipe needed smile

annsixty Fri 21-Jun-19 17:53:49

I tried these a few years ago but can't remember what they were called.
I called them donut peaches.
To me they were all stone and not much flesh.
I didn't like them at all.

quizqueen Fri 21-Jun-19 17:55:06

I find them dry and rather tasteless compared to the round ones.

Ellianne Fri 21-Jun-19 17:57:35

We like them. They're easier for little hands to hold than the round peaches and because they're a bit drier no one ends up dripping juice all over their clothes!

Ellianne Fri 21-Jun-19 18:01:37

I've just thought they might be nice in a crumble. Just add a bit of honey and juice?

SueDonim Fri 21-Jun-19 18:31:24

I tried some of these recently. I ate one and it wasn't ripe. The remaining ones sat in the fruit bowl, rock hard, for several days. The following day, they were still rock hard but were now all shrivelled and mouldy on the outside, so into the food recycling they went! Not one of my better purchases. hmm

cornergran Fri 21-Jun-19 18:40:42

Not my favourite, found them disappointing and so tend to avoid them now.

MiniMoon Fri 21-Jun-19 18:53:02

Oh, donut peaches. We like them just as they are.

shysal Fri 21-Jun-19 19:03:47

I love them just as they are. They ripen better than the round ones, I eat them leaning over the sink to catch the juice!

Treebee Fri 21-Jun-19 19:12:31

Just eaten one sliced up with some crème fraîche. Yummy.

aggie Fri 21-Jun-19 19:14:53

I love these , I find the ones bought in a proper fruit /veg shop are usually better than the supermarket offerings , not got them in yet in our wee farm shop

Nico97 Fri 21-Jun-19 19:17:30

We also picked up from Morrisons some donut nectarines - absolutely scrumptious ! Actually prefer them to the donut peaches to be honest.

EllanVannin Fri 21-Jun-19 19:42:11

I've had some lovely flat peaches from the local fruit and veg shop. One thing I can't get is blackcurrants. Each year I look out for them and there aren't any to be had. Where are they all ? There used to be punnets of them every season.
Blueberries don't replace them, they're horrible things.

SueDonim Fri 21-Jun-19 20:35:36

All the blackcurrants grown in this area go to Ribena! They buy the entire crops from farms. I do occasionally see some for sale but it's red currants that I really love.

My dad used to grow all three types of currant on his allotment, as well as gooseberries.

BBbevan Fri 21-Jun-19 21:00:52

My Mum used to slice peaches and put them into a pie dish. Cover with thick Greek yogurt and then add a top layer of Demerera sugar. This would then go in the fridge for a few hours. Absolutely lovely.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 21-Jun-19 21:08:01

Donut peaches are delicious. So much juice.

Farmor15 Fri 21-Jun-19 21:10:35

We saw these first in small market in Italy years ago, before they were available here. When we asked stallholder about them , he said that they were peaches that had been stepped on by an elephant ?

GrandmaKT Sat 22-Jun-19 11:18:47

Thanks for all the comments grans. Your mum's recipe sounds yummy BBbevan will definitely try that!

oldgaijin Sat 29-Jun-19 08:09:40

Why do supermarkets insist on calling them donut peaches? Can nobody pronounce paraguaya, such a pretty name.

BlueBelle Sat 29-Jun-19 08:17:57

Donut peaches have been around a while I don’t have any recipes as I just eat them as they are

Bathsheba Sat 29-Jun-19 08:27:18

I love donut peaches, been buying them for years, and prefer them to the round ones. I'm surprised at the comments here about them being rock hard, all stone and no flesh, tasteless etc. I think these people have been unlucky, as I've never had this experience. And yes, I buy them in supermarkets - I've got some now that I bought in Tesco and they are so juicy and sweet. I never cook them as they are delicious just as they are!

Bathsheba Sat 29-Jun-19 08:31:25

Do you honestly believe people can't pronounce paraguaya, oldgaijin? I would have thought it's far more likely they call them donut peaches because that's what they've been told they are.

Paraguaya is very easy to pronounce confused

annodomini Sat 29-Jun-19 09:42:26

I first encountered these peaches in NZ where a friend had them in the garden and bottled a good crop. If they are allowed to ripen naturally they are juicy and delicious, but all too often the fruit we find in supermarkets hasn't had this opportunity, having been in refrigerated transport and storage. I had no idea that they were called 'paraguaya'. I don't think they use this name even in Waitrose.
When fruit in the shop is labelled.'ripen at home' does anyone ever find that this happens?

janeainsworth Sat 29-Jun-19 09:44:56

GrandmaKT I made a peach cobbler the other day using flat peaches but the flavour didn’t develop with cooking - next time I shall use nectarines or ordinary peaches and keep the flat ones for eating raw.

But Peach Cobbler is very easy to make & delicious:

5 peaches, peeled, stoned & halved
1oz granulated sugar
1/4 teasp salt

Put these in a saucepan & heat gently till the sugar dissolves & the peach juice runs.

Batter:
3oz butter
5oz SR flour
4oz granulated sugar
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teasp salt
3/4 cup milk
Ground cinnamon

Pre-heat oven to 180/350
Slice butter & put in 9x13 inch baking dish. Put in the oven till the butter has melted.
Mix remaining ingredients together to make batter.
Pour into the baking dish over the melted butter and smooth the surface.
Spoon the peaches and juice over the surface. Sprinkle surface with ground cinnamon.

Bake for about 40 minutes till the batter has risen & the surface is nicely browned.

Serve warm with cream or ice cream.

This is an American recipe and the original contained much more sugar, but as we are a reduced-sugar zone I adapted it, but it still works.