Gransnet forums

Food

What’s for Lunch?

(53 Posts)
jackfowler Fri 05-Jul-19 08:50:21

What we eat for lunch should be balanced with what we had for breakfast and what we are likely to have for dinner, and don't forget the snacks in between.

And today should be balanced against yesterday and tomorrow in terms of what we ate or will eat.

And what we ate the past week should affect our choices for next week.

Good eating is not a specific science, nor is it a crap shoot.
It is, rather, a life style (or should be) in which we consider nutrition, enjoyment, smell, taste, appearance, quality vs quantity and several other factors in a balance that supports optimum health, both physically and emotionally.

What do you Lunch on?

annsixty Sat 06-Jul-19 11:17:32

I sit down every Thursday afternoon and spend 3 hours working out my weekly shopping list for Friday.
I consider every meal for the week, balancing protein, carbs and fruit and veg, ensuring that all food groups in proper ratios are considered.
On the other hand, I lie.
I walk round the supermarket looking at what looks good to me and what I fancy eating, and 99% of the time I enjoy it all.

grumppa Sat 06-Jul-19 11:43:20

You cannot be serious, jack, as McEnroe would say.

Sara65 Sat 06-Jul-19 12:14:54

Nothing! Never eat lunch on Saturday, have picked at a couple of cheese straws though, and a big glass of orange juice

MiniMoon Sat 06-Jul-19 12:27:41

I make a main meal at lunchtime (dinner time). Today it's oven baked chicken thighs and salad. Who knows what is for tea, probably a sandwich of some sort. I hardly ever eat breakfast. As for menu planning, I make whatever my husband brings home as he does the shopping.

Norah Sat 06-Jul-19 13:00:22

We had scrambled eggs, fried potatoes, broiled cheese herb tomatoes.

Gonegirl Sat 06-Jul-19 13:36:20

I am currently munching on cheese, cucumber and pickle sarnies, on WHITE BREAD!!! Delicious.

That ok Jack?

Blinko Sat 06-Jul-19 15:26:25

Who is this JackFowler, anyway?

cavewoman Sat 06-Jul-19 15:44:34

Think he was on Love Island last year.

Blinko Sat 06-Jul-19 15:51:21

cavewoman grin

jackfowler Tue 09-Jul-19 07:07:40

Thanks for giving the opinion.

NotSpaghetti Tue 09-Jul-19 07:13:51

Which opinion jackfowler?
And were you trying to debate "healthy eating" or did you genuinely want to know about actual lunches?
I'm still wondering.

crystaltipps Tue 09-Jul-19 08:57:06

So what balances with almond milk porridge and fruit ?( usual breakfast) Usually a peanut butter and salad sandwich with an apple and maybe even (shock horror) the occasional packet of crisps.

leyla Tue 09-Jul-19 09:02:13

I try to have as late a breakfast as possible then skip lunch. Usually have an afternoon snack about 3.30pm and dinner at 8pm.

grannyactivist Tue 09-Jul-19 09:26:24

Today I'm hosting a church leader's lunch meeting and I'm providing what we always have; homemade soup with bread and cheese.

Unless I'm hosting people I usually skip lunch these days as I find I don't need it.

Grany Wed 10-Jul-19 08:22:37

jackfowler Fri 05-Jul-19

I do consider what I eat day by day through a week for instance I eat chicken with fresh veg or frozen a carbohydrate then will eat fish another day keep a sort of balance. I eat whole grain rice pasta whole meal bread the whole of the grain is better healthier so in that sense I keep to healthy diet.

I do like a treat chocolate ice cream but try mostly to eat in moderation.

I do not add sugar to tea coffe as can taste the beverage without the added sweetness. I don't drink soft drinks as unhealthy I prefer water or a smoothly.

I think it's important these days to think what you eat as there is a lot of obesity around people don't think just eat junk food fast food.

So I agree with you you that you have to have a sensible approach to foods without being too strict and enjoy your food it's yourself that is responsible for your health yes good food is what keeps us healthy.

MawBroonsback Wed 10-Jul-19 08:27:42

I have friends coming and we are having mackerel pate and guacamole with seeded flatbreads, ratatouille with sea bass and raspberries with cream. or creme fraiche or yogurt. It would be nice to eat outside, but I am not holding my breath.
I had got out of the habit of “entertaining” and am trying hard to get back to having friends round for lunch or supper

MawBroonsback Wed 10-Jul-19 08:31:06

^Good eating is not a specific science, nor is it a crap shoot.
It is, rather, a life style (or should be) in which we consider nutrition, enjoyment, smell, taste, appearance, quality vs quantity and several other factors in a balance that supports optimum health, both physically and emotionally^

Gosh, just read all of OP’s sermon, I thought food was also for enjoyment, perhaps a feast for the eyes as well as the stomach, the company of family and friends and appreciating good things.
Silly Mawbroon go to the bottom of the class. grin .

MawBroonsback Wed 10-Jul-19 09:13:32

Annsixty gringrin

annodomini Wed 10-Jul-19 09:52:32

Today I'm lunching with a friend at a local Italian restaurant where we are quite well known. I've just had breakfast of yogurt, banana and gluten free cornflakes. Not that I'm gluten intolerant - just like the brand.
My newest great-nephew and niece are a week old today and thriving. Feeding well and already showing signs of individual personalities. Sorry, photographs not to be shared, but they are very cute. I hope to see them next month.
Ann, good for you, getting your ticket sorted out. When I managed to book for the wrong date, I found that humble pie and gentle persuasion worked a treat.
Not a bad morning. Lunch with a friend and then a pedicure - my favourite treatment.
Galen, you have a kindly dentist and I'm glad you got the filling over and done with in one visit. I'm sorry you are so low at the moment. Baked beans are quite nutritious, but not exactly soul food. I hope you have some nice things in your freezer, or can stock up with a delivery of gourmet meals. If I was closer I would come and cook you a fish pie (sole food?). Luckily for you I'm not.
When I took a contract with a cleaning company, I expected regular 2-weekly cleaning. It hasn't worked out that way as one of the cleaners is often unavailable and no-one able to cover for her. Not good enough. I will have to re-think.
Have a good day, especially if I haven't mentioned you this morning. TOYA xx

EllanVannin Wed 10-Jul-19 10:10:21

Roast chicken thighs today,new pots and shell peas. A navel orange for pud. I usually squeeze some orange juice in the gravy to add flavour to the chicken.

I eat like a King and live like a pauper-----weeeell, not quite.

gillybob Wed 10-Jul-19 10:25:18

I sit down every Thursday afternoon and spend 3 hours working out my weekly shopping list for Friday.
I consider every meal for the week, balancing protein, carbs and fruit and veg, ensuring that all food groups in proper ratios are considered

I was just thinking ….blimey.... annsixty is putting us all to shame with her carefully planned menus and healthy eating, until...…….

On the other hand, I lie

Which has made me grin grin grin

tiredoldwoman Wed 10-Jul-19 10:59:34

I don't know what I'll be having but I would love to come to yours for lunch, MawBroon !

Lessismore Wed 10-Jul-19 11:39:49

OMG, I was about to ask annsisty for her menu plans.

Rosieat34 Wed 10-Jul-19 11:50:22

Yesterday my friend was 104 years old. She has tea, toast and marmalade for breakfast, 4 sausage rolls and 8 grapes for lunch, a Wilshire farm food fish meal and a glass of sherry at 7pm

sodapop Wed 10-Jul-19 12:54:59

Good for your friend Rosieat34 I love that meal plan and obviously suits her. Long may it continue.