Gransnet forums

Food

Sandwich fillings?

(83 Posts)
Jane10 Sat 13-Jul-19 16:28:43

For some reason I fancied a change today for lunch. A real change from my usual. I don't know why but I craved it! I spread Lurpak on two slices of wholemeal bloomer then squashed up creamy goats cheese on one side and topped with sliced pears and black pepper. Top slice on, press down and eat. It was wonderful. The saltiness of the goats cheese was cut by the sweetness and crunch of the pear. Yum. ?
Any other suggestions for a wee change of sandwich filling?

midgey Sun 14-Jul-19 10:48:27

How about marmite and honey, delish ! As a child as a humongous treat we had ‘thunder and lightening’ syrup mixed up with fresh farm butter slurped over fresh home made bread! A true cholesterol special grin

moggie37 Sun 14-Jul-19 11:00:20

How about chopped watercress with grated mature cheddar, generous helping mayo on white crustless.

Jane10 Sun 14-Jul-19 11:17:17

I'm not so sure about the sweet fillings. I'm not keen on syrup or honey in any form. I do love sandwiches though. If, once in a blue moon, I'm out for one of those posh afternoon teas, it's the sandwiches I like best. Not bothered about scones unless they're cheese. Jam and cream? No thanks. Even the little work of art cakes aren't that interesting to me. But a tiny bridge roll with smoked trout, dill and cream cheese? Yes please!

Pudding123 Sun 14-Jul-19 11:20:21

Leftover chicken shredded, with crispy bacon, mayo artichokes (aldi) salt and black pepper on granary bread .

Norah Sun 14-Jul-19 11:28:12

Seedy bread, toasted, mayo, rocket, sliced tomato, fresh motz, reduced balsamic drizzle, shredded basil leaves. Caprese sandwich.

Bikerhiker Sun 14-Jul-19 11:36:11

Boiling bacon and piccalilli.
Roast beef, lettuce, horseradish and onion marmalade.
Brie and cranberry.
Mmmmm

Blinko Sun 14-Jul-19 11:50:19

Smoked salmon and philly (salmon flavour if you can get it) on a toasted bagel. Delish!

or
Bon Maman conserve with plain philly on toast.

Esmerelda Sun 14-Jul-19 12:06:14

I'm with you there Jane10. Don't much like sweet things and love savoury sandwiches and cheese scones. Your update to this thread made my mouth water ... mmm! Also I never adulterate toast with jam, marmalade or honey; it's just butter (NOT a spread) for me.

TheOldDear Sun 14-Jul-19 12:10:46

Cheese coleslaw, no butter.

Evie64 Sun 14-Jul-19 12:15:36

Mmmm, this thread has made me hungry. Plain crisps, crunchy lettuce and mayo between two slices of wholemeal. Or what about avocado and bacon, that's lovely too I worked with a lovely girl who used to bring turnip sandwiches to work, I kid you not grin

Purplepoppies Sun 14-Jul-19 12:19:00

Warmed up left over mash & baked beans sarnies ? if you want to ramp it up, smother it in gravy. Oh yummy.
I used to enjoy dairylea and jam on toast. Use the dairylea as butter.
No I wasn't pregnant for either concoction ?

DanniRae Sun 14-Jul-19 12:21:16

My favourite sandwich is cheese and Branston pickle.
I also like Laughing Cow cheese spread and sweet corn or celery.

Ranworth1 Sun 14-Jul-19 12:30:01

Marmite, Heinz salad cream, Cheddar cheese & crisp lettuce.

BlueSapphire Sun 14-Jul-19 12:31:01

Ooh, left over mashed potato with brown sauce!
Marmite and butter is a favourite.
Fairy bread was a children's favourite when we lived in Australia - white bread and butter thickly sprinkled with hundreds and thousands.
DGDs love sausage and bacon with ketchup.
A friend's favourite is grated carrot and tomato.

Bijou Sun 14-Jul-19 12:38:36

Homemade fruit bread with cheddar cheese. Cheese and Marmite on wholemeal bread. Corned beef with Branson pickle.

Terri823 Sun 14-Jul-19 12:40:46

My favourite is tin of salmon, drained. Garlic salt and pepper and Branson pickle

Riverwalk Sun 14-Jul-19 12:41:09

Mashed potato, beans & gravy sandwich? shock

There was previously on Gransnet a meat pie sandwich grin

Riverwalk Sun 14-Jul-19 12:42:38

I think the latter was a joke - maybe not hmm

NainGymraeg Sun 14-Jul-19 12:50:50

Brie with sliced red grapes on seeded loaf. Nice with bacon too if you want meat.

Nannytopsy Sun 14-Jul-19 12:51:51

Grated cheese, finely chopped celery mixed together with mayo.

ninathenana Sun 14-Jul-19 12:58:29

One of dads favourites peanut butter and shredded iceberg lettue.

Jamcee Sun 14-Jul-19 13:16:05

Bacon and marmalade on whole meal bread.

SynchroSwimmer Sun 14-Jul-19 13:55:01

Strawberry mint and black pepper sandwiches, philly instead of butter.

Gorgonzola and peach...

trendygran Sun 14-Jul-19 13:56:32

Our local deli does some delicious sandwich fillings,one of them being Stilton with rocket and pear.Another unusual one is Pastrami, emmental,gherkin and mustard. Haven’t tried that one, but it sounds interesting.My favourite is prawns in chilli mayo. Very tasty but not so easy to eat ‘delicately’ !

gma Sun 14-Jul-19 14:03:09

My favourite gourmet sandwich is , sliced Camembert and cranberry sauce in a toasted panini roll, delish!