Gransnet forums

Food

Sandwich fillings?

(83 Posts)
Jane10 Sat 13-Jul-19 16:28:43

For some reason I fancied a change today for lunch. A real change from my usual. I don't know why but I craved it! I spread Lurpak on two slices of wholemeal bloomer then squashed up creamy goats cheese on one side and topped with sliced pears and black pepper. Top slice on, press down and eat. It was wonderful. The saltiness of the goats cheese was cut by the sweetness and crunch of the pear. Yum. ?
Any other suggestions for a wee change of sandwich filling?

Fernbergien Mon 15-Jul-19 19:08:09

Cottage cheese with chopped dried dates.

lilypollen Tue 16-Jul-19 16:53:38

Auntieflo In the chilled cabinet in Sainsbury's with the cheese obviously!! There were other flavours but I just craved my childhood treat. Tubes are plastic now though.

Auntieflo Tue 16-Jul-19 17:05:57

Thank you Lilypollen

Shizam Wed 17-Jul-19 00:30:09

Bagels I made last week: smoked salmon, cream cheese, rocket, lemon and pepper. Divine.

chrissyh Thu 18-Jul-19 18:04:03

Tinned tuna, salad cream (mayo if you don't like salad cream) and sliced apple.

Jane10 Thu 18-Jul-19 18:40:08

Worst sandwiches now. My Granny was a keen experimenter. One of the worst was her sardine and fig brainwave! Yuk. She was a keen user of tinned tomatoes in sandwiches too ?
Her favourite one for train journeys was a fried egg between 2 slices of Ryvita. Just awful. The egg was stone cold but soggy and made the Ryvitas all damp and bendy. ?
The worst that I ever saw was a pile of curried squid and spinach sandwiches on white bread which had been stained by the contents. ?

fizzers Thu 18-Jul-19 19:26:08

banana and peanut butter, sliced beef with cheese and onion crisps, egg mixed with a little wholegrain mustard, tuna mixed with a little sweet chilli sauce , tuna with finely chopped onion, sweetcorn, add cucumber tomatoes lettuce etc to any of them apart from the peanut butter and banana of course. I also like a currant teacake with soft cheese, either philadelphia type cheese or dairylea