Gransnet forums

Food

cauliflower

(34 Posts)
Fennel Tue 06-Aug-19 12:23:15

I bought a cauli looking forward to cauliflower cheese.
But husband says he can't eat cheese because of his current catarrh problem hmm.
Has anyone an idea of another way to cook it? I find it almost tasteless on its own as a veg.

Fennel Wed 07-Aug-19 09:49:05

Thanks for the ideas folks. I think I'm going to boil it and make a sauce with coconut milk. plus cheese for me.
It's anything dairy he won't eat.

Callistemon Wed 07-Aug-19 11:18:33

Soya milk makes lovely sauces and custard (but you probably know that already!).

I haven't tried coconut milk except in a curry.

#Reminder to buy some.

Fennel Wed 07-Aug-19 14:26:32

Well I made it and ha enjoyrd it!
I used some partially cooked onions and red peppers from yesterday, liquidised, some soy sauce. Then the coconut milk. Browned in a hot oven.
But I wouldn't buy Tesco coconut milk, it was rubbish, no taste of coconut at all. Mostly water.
If I ever make it again I'll get the chinese one, it's more creamy, better flavour.

Pudding123 Wed 07-Aug-19 14:38:37

I agree with Kitty,I find I roast most of my veg these days,carrots broccoli all seen to be extra tasty ,if you have time look at Delia Smith's online recipes just add spices and olive oil and a bit of imagination.a word of warning keep checking they are not too charred.Kale is also good.

Coolgran65 Wed 07-Aug-19 15:23:26

If dh can’t take cheese does it mean he also can’t take the butter and milk suggested in the above recipes. They are also dairy.

Roasting with bacon is yum.... also garlic.

quizqueen Wed 07-Aug-19 15:50:28

Cauliflower fritters, bubble and squeak, eat it raw in a salad- lovely and crunchy

MissAdventure Wed 07-Aug-19 17:37:40

Cauliflower couscous always sounds nice, not sure how its made.
Presumably grated cauli and other 'stuff'?

Lazigirl Wed 07-Aug-19 17:46:05

We eat low carb and frequently have cauliflower, so will try the pizza recipe, thanks Bradfordlass. I attempted to fool the GCs with lovely creamy cauliflower and cheesy mash in lieu of potato, as they don't like cauliflower........but it only took one mouthful and up went the cry, "yuk, cauliflower"!