Gransnet forums

Food

Frozen peas

(46 Posts)
winterwhite Sat 17-Aug-19 21:20:14

I inadvertently ordered quite a large bag of frozen peas with an online grocery order. There are just two of us and it will take forever to get through them. Worse, even small size packs are filled so full that they are v difficult to read fasten after taking out a small amount. Anyone tried quickly decanting into smaller freezer bags. No? Thought probably not. But I hate loose peas rolling round the freezer drawer. Others must have cracked this silly problem, please share. Thanks.

Pantglas1 Sat 17-Aug-19 21:24:50

Just decant to manageable portion tubs/bags ASAP .

Grannyben Sat 17-Aug-19 21:29:23

I stick a clothes peg on the top of the bag

Jomarie Sat 17-Aug-19 21:33:20

Oh yes Grannyben I am an avid user of the clothes peg - preferably the wooden variety - so versatile - never go anywhere without a clothes peg handy grin

LullyDully Sat 17-Aug-19 21:51:27

We keep ours in a freezer box.

Chewbacca Sat 17-Aug-19 21:59:16

Or decant them into one of those zip lock freezer bags? That way you just take out what you need and then zip them back up again.

annep1 Sat 17-Aug-19 22:01:41

Elastic bands. I keep a small packet in kitchen drawer. Also seals food waste recycle bags. Very cheap.

kittylester Sat 17-Aug-19 22:02:52

I gave lots of those freezer clips. I always buy the big bads and just clip them and use as necessary.

annep1 Sat 17-Aug-19 22:20:32

I use clips for pasta porridge and suchlike but I find you can snip a corner off peas sweetcorn etc and elastic bands work better.

BradfordLass72 Sat 17-Aug-19 22:28:22

Yes, I often decant frozen things into separate portions in zip-lock bags and it work perfectly.

If there is still anything in the original bag, I expel the air, fold over the top and, like Kittylester use rubber bands to seal it. Pegs are too faffy in my tiny freezer and special clips cost money!

Rubber bands are possibly the most useful thing in my kitchen, I use them to ensure bags in the pantry are well-closed too.

winterwhite Sun 18-Aug-19 10:51:40

Thanks very much all. Good of you to take the time to answer a rather stupid question. Will get some zip lock bags and try the other suggestions as I go along with other things. The original packs need to be quite a way down I find before rubber bands or clothes pegs can get a grip.

MissAdventure Sun 18-Aug-19 11:08:39

My mum was a big fan of the clothespeg for keeping things in their place.

MiniMoon Sun 18-Aug-19 11:24:07

I'm another clothes peg user. My daughter has lots of those freezer clips.

MissAdventure Sun 18-Aug-19 11:29:04

We used to tease my mum about pegs being on the Hoover cord to keep it in place, on the tops of cereal boxes to keep them bent over.

Then one day I went to my daughters salad drawer, and there was half a bag of salad, with a peg on it!

Davida1968 Sun 18-Aug-19 11:30:27

Pea soup, anyone?

Callistemon Sun 18-Aug-19 11:32:35

We have some of these, they keep the tops of the bags flat:
here
Other retailers available

The peas we buy come in a ziplock bag.

MissAdventure Sun 18-Aug-19 11:34:35

I bet Ziploc ones cost more?
The miser in me would be reluctant to pay more, but the emotional reward may be worth it?

fizzers Sun 18-Aug-19 11:36:19

I took a large, opened bag of frozen peas out of the freezer the other day, it had a peg on top.... unfortunately the bag was upside down and the weight of the peas forced the peg off..... bloody peas everywhere...

MissAdventure Sun 18-Aug-19 11:38:28

I wonder if it would be cheaper to buy Ziploc bags yourself and decant cheaper peas into them?
Still a risk of peas going everywhere though.

Elegran Sun 18-Aug-19 11:41:09

I have clips from Lakeland plastics. They come in three sizes and many colours, and are easy to open and close - perfect. You can pur peas out of quite a smal cut in their original bag, so you don't need the large size clip.

quizqueen Sun 18-Aug-19 11:41:11

I love peas, they don't last very long in my house. I have a plateful at a time!

kittylester Sun 18-Aug-19 11:43:17

Me too Elegran and they last years. I kea also sell them, as do Amazon.

I didnt mention rubberbands!

MissAdventure Sun 18-Aug-19 11:43:30

I love peas as well.
All different ones too.
Cooked, uncooked, fresh, frozen, tinned, processed or mushy.
I love 'em all!

annep1 Sun 18-Aug-19 11:53:14

I know Kittylester. Twas me.

BlueSapphire Sun 18-Aug-19 11:54:05

Well, there's only me at home, but I always buy the largest bag of peas because it works out cheaper. Then I decant them into freezer bags and close them with those bag clips you can get from IKEA, Lakeland or similar. I usually stand the freezer bags inside a bowl, then if you do drop a few they just roll into the bowl and you're not chasing all over the floor for them!