Gransnet forums

Food

Being careful with chicken...advice gladly received.

(27 Posts)
Carillion01 Sun 25-Aug-19 12:00:12

Just wanted to try something different. DH won't eat chicken so I'm always trying to perk it up.

Followed Tristan Welch's twice cooked whole chicken which meant soaking in a brine for 30 minutes then poaching in water with bay leaves and thyme for 30 minutes before letting it air dry for about 45 minutes.

All good so far. Then I smeared it with some butter as was instructed, but unexpected callers arrived and I couldn't immediately finish the recipe which was to roast for 25 minutes.

I wrapped it in tin foil and put it in the fridge overnight but today I'm worried that if I've refrigerated it at that point have I allowed bacteria to develop? It looks and smells fine but not sure. Any advice would be much appreciated. (As a back-up I'll cook some gammon steaks) ??

Liz46 Sun 25-Aug-19 12:01:44

I think you are right to be worried about it. Someone may come along who knows better but a friend of mine got food poisoning from eating chicken and was ill for weeks.

Fiachna56 Sun 25-Aug-19 12:04:25

Bin it.

Fennel Sun 25-Aug-19 12:20:52

I can't answer your question, but that recipe sounds weird.

MiniMoon Sun 25-Aug-19 12:32:28

Sorry, it's a waste of a chicken, but I wouldn't use it. Better be safe than sorry.

B9exchange Sun 25-Aug-19 12:37:34

The only way you could use it would be to joint it, put in in a casserole and cook it for about two hours until it falls off the bone. Would kill everything, but not very tasty to eat!

crazyH Sun 25-Aug-19 12:39:20

Goodness me - it's been cooked already and left in the frig - what's the problem? Go with the majority - I don't want to be responsible if you get food poisoning ?

crazyH Sun 25-Aug-19 12:40:42

Another thing there's brine involved - isn't that a bacteria killer anyway?

Carillion01 Sun 25-Aug-19 12:42:48

Thanks everyone. You have convinced me my reaction was right.
Fennel I know what you mean. The recipe was supposed to make the chicken more moist and I just thought I'd try something new...won't be doing it again unless all in one go. X

Elegran Sun 25-Aug-19 12:48:17

It has been cooked once, refrigerated, then you will cook it again - thoroughly. I've no doubt.

It wasn't prepared in a factory with ten thousand other dead chickens and their entrails, wasn't handled by any number of different workers (some of them with coughs, dodgy hygeine, or cuts on their fingers) or left an a shelf in the butcher's shop.

Where do you think the bacteria could have come from? I assume you have a clean kitchen, covered it so no flies could walk on it, didn't handle it with shitty hands or cough all over it? It hasn't spent several days in the fridge, just overnight.

Cook it well and eat and enjoy.

EllanVannin Sun 25-Aug-19 13:13:54

I'm the world's worst to ask over matters such as this because without hesitation it would end up slung in the bin. I think about my health and not cost, always have.
I don't even eat chicken next day, the cats have it.

midgey Sun 25-Aug-19 13:58:08

Golly I wouldn’t waste it!

polyester57 Sun 25-Aug-19 14:05:53

I´m a traditionalist. Sniff it, if it doesn´t smell like it´s gone off, eat it.

Blinko Sun 25-Aug-19 14:07:35

I wouldn't chuck it either. though it would be cooked to within an inch of it's life...er, IYCWIM!

Blinko Sun 25-Aug-19 14:08:00

its....blasted apostrophe.

Farmor15 Sun 25-Aug-19 22:15:26

Advice from microbiologist- I wouldn’t bin it but roast for at least an hour, depending on size of chicken. Original recipe is a bit odd, poaching for 1/2 hour wouldn’t be long enough to cook a whole chicken, the 45 min ‘drying’ would mean it partially cools before 25 min roasting- which I wouldn’t consider long enough anyway, even if procedure wasn’t interrupted.

CrazyH - it’s not been fully cooked by 1/2 hour poaching and the surviving bacteria can multiply quite rapidly in warm carcass, before fridge temp will chill them. The brine will also not kill them- many bacteria thrive in a salty environment.

Elegran - the bacteria will have come from chicken carcass itself, which won’t all have been killed by partial cooking of recipe.

M0nica Sun 25-Aug-19 22:51:02

I wouldn't think twice I would cook it thoroughly, that is the full period recommended for roasting a chicken of the weight you have bought and eat as normal.

I always cook meat thoroughly, I hate the half cooked meat that is so fashionable and the source of most food poisoning, On those few occasions DH or I have had food poisoning it has been from food that has been seared and served half cooked (tuna) or beef and, nowadays, lamb cooked 'rare'. If meat is cooked thoroughly it should kill almost any bacteria, good or bad, that may be present.

Callistemon Sun 25-Aug-19 23:39:49

I wouldn't think many more bacteria would have developed than would have done with the original recipe, which, quite frankly, sounds rather odd.

I would cook it thoroughly by roasting, covered, for the full length of time it would have taken for a chicken that size or turn it into coq au vin and cook in red wine until it falls off the bone.

Callistemon Sun 25-Aug-19 23:42:38

I've brined a turkey then dried and roasted it but never part poached one, dried and cooled then roasted for such a short time. That would surely be undercooked and hazardous.

janeainsworth Mon 26-Aug-19 08:54:03

I would follow Farmor’s advice.

As long as something is cooked thoroughly and you eat it straight away, what’s the problem? All the bacteria will be dead.

FWIW if you want a moist roast chicken or moist roast anything else, cover the meat with foil while it’s roasting and just take the foil off for the last 10 minutes of you like the outside to be browned.

Teetime Mon 26-Aug-19 09:09:15

Having had campylobacter from chicken (5 weeks of diarrhoea) I wouldnt take any risks. The fact that your doubtful should be enough to encourage you to bin it.

Lazigirl Mon 26-Aug-19 09:17:43

I find it odd that someone can give sound evidence based advice on here, and it can be ignored by some posters who seem at best to be guessing. The worst advice is to sniff and see because bacteria contamination doesn't always cause food to smell.

Luckygirl Mon 26-Aug-19 09:36:05

Not worth taking the risk with chicken. All chicken is contaminated to some degree and it is only the proper cooking that kills it off before eating.

I am sure that cooking it as advised by microbiologist above would kill it off - but personally I would not take the risk. I get IBS and would not want to trigger that.

The idea that you van smell the bugs is bizarre. Please don't rely on that as a test.

Best way to get a succulent chicken is to cook in a lidded roasting tin; the water vapour that is released from the chicken while cooking will mean that it will both roast and steam at the same time. It is amazing how much water there is in a chicken - or bacon - or a gammon joint. Very expensive water - might as well put it to good use!

aggie Mon 26-Aug-19 09:43:36

If OH won't eat Chicken , why are you trying to perk it up ? cook him something he likes , chicken isn't for everyone and that recipe doesn't inspire me at all . I like it curried with plenty of sultanas and a sharp cooking apple in the sauce , now that is "Perked up " !

M0nica Mon 26-Aug-19 20:52:04

Most chicken based poisoning comes from handling the chicken before it is cooked. This is why we are always advised never to wash it, but in handling it we get any bacteria on our hands, work surfaces, utensils and clothing and this is how infections spread, other people touch any of these objects, you touch someone before a full hand and wrist wash or do not clean utensils and surfaces properly and they touch other people and so one.

Whacking the chicken in the oven and roasting it for the recommended time plus a bit is about the safest and most sensible way of dealing with this problem