Gransnet forums

Food

chicken recipes

(36 Posts)
Fennel Sun 25-Aug-19 18:30:43

Following Carillion's post. I'd like to see your favourite chicken recipes.
Chicken must be the most popular meat in the UK.
BTW I don't want to get into the arguments about animal rights re chickens.
Except one thing, I would never buy capons.

kittylester Sun 25-Aug-19 18:38:43

I am about to prepare chicken with tomatoes and rosemary!

We love paprika chicken, teriyaki chicken, roast chicken, chicken pot roast, chicken marsala, creamy chicken casserole, creamy chicken curry, chicken and tomato curry, flambe'd chicken, butter chicken - I could go on!

SisterAct Sun 25-Aug-19 18:40:40

Chicken pieces stuffed with onions, pancetta, spinach and mascarpone cheese

paddyann Sun 25-Aug-19 19:32:08

pan fry chicken and finely chopped onion add cider ,apple slices and cream with an added egg yolk .Granny used to call this devonshire chicken and its a family favourite ,The egg yolk in the cream thickens it to make a good sauce

BradfordLass72 Mon 26-Aug-19 01:44:29

Slice a chicken breast almost through. Spread a little cream cheese on the bottom half. The you have a choice of what to add: apricots, tomatoes, garlic, onions, chilli - whatever you prefer.

When that's done, fold the top over and wrap the whole chicken breast in smoked bacon rashers. Wrap in foil and bake.

Beechnut Mon 26-Aug-19 06:44:59

I never seem to know what to do these days for myself so as these ideas sound nice I’m going to give them a go. Thanks grans. ?

jusnoneed Mon 26-Aug-19 08:44:46

That sounds lovely paddyann
We eat a lot of chicken, any curry being one of favourites. Another is pan fry some chicken breasts, remove and keep warm and use same pan to make a sauce using fine chopped onion, chopped garlic - soften then add good handful of sliced mushrooms. Add some chicken stock (can add wine too) and reduce. Put in good amount of spinach allow to wilt and then add some cream to finish sauce.

reelashosser Mon 26-Aug-19 09:21:41

A sort of chicken and chorizo paella, stuffed with peppers and cherry tomatoes, lots of paprika. And there's always leftovers, which is a great bonus.

Spatchcocked peri peri chicken.

A whole chicken with a curry/yoghourt paste rubbed in. Wrap in cling film and leave in fridge overnight, then unwrap and roast. The roast potatoes are first parboiled in water with turmeric, then sprinkled with cumin seeds in the roasting tin. Yummy.

absthame Mon 26-Aug-19 09:23:40

Of all of the various meats, chicken to my mind, is best confined to the dustbin.

H1954 Mon 26-Aug-19 09:35:51

Some really delicious, inspiring recipes, thanks GN members.
Here's mine, simple but quick and tasty:-
Use mini filets or just cut down the larger breast portions, cover all over with Cajun spice and allow to marinate for a few hours. Cook in the oven ( I normally batch cook these for economy ) and eat hot with rice etc or cold with salad. These make a fabulous picnic dish! I guess it would work with thighs but they would need skinning and cooking longer - I'm not a fan of chicken thighs though.

Bijou Mon 26-Aug-19 10:03:25

Wrap boneless skinless chicken thighs round herby stuffing and wrap with streaky bacon rashers. Bake in oven.

teabagwoman Mon 26-Aug-19 10:03:42

Thanks for starting this thread Fennel, I’m having a foot operation in a few weeks so am having a batch cooking session. I shall be staying with my dd but as I have to follow a rather restrictive diet I’m making as many meals for the freezer as I can. I’m grateful for the ideas here and will have to sit down and see if I can convert them to low fat, no cream for me alas, and low FODMAP.

quizqueen Mon 26-Aug-19 10:06:29

You may not want to get into the subject of animal rights but the chicken certainly does. I watched a program about how they were slaughtered en masse and have never eaten one since. How anyone can work in those places and go home and not think about what they have done, I don't know

teabagwoman Mon 26-Aug-19 10:07:36

Forgot to add my contribution to the recipe file. Very simple indeed, just cut up chicken breasts into strips and dust with smoked paprika before frying over a medium heat - I use the well known low fat spray oil. For something so simple it’s really tasty in a salad.

Sheilasue Mon 26-Aug-19 10:10:57

Roasted chicken, with cherry tomatoes, new potatoes and red onion and fresh thyme. In one roasting dish. Yum.

Lupin Mon 26-Aug-19 10:30:03

Cut up chicken breast into bite sized chunks. Toss them in a mix of cornflour, crumbled Oxo chicken stock cube and seasoning. Heat some rapeseed or olive oil in a skillet and stir fry chicken rapidly for a few minutes. Turn off the heat and leave to finish cooking in the residual heat. Meanwhile roast some red onion chunks, peppers, tomatoes, courgette chunks in a little oil in the oven on a tray. Drizzle with balsamic dressing when serving with the chicken. A few new potatoes don't go amiss.

TillyWhiz Mon 26-Aug-19 10:33:13

Try www.bhf.org.uk for their healthy chicken recipes. I made Herby Chicken with Bulgur Wheat - wow, it was delicious. Ingredients can be adapted to what's in the larder. I had half yesterday and will have the remainder cold with a salad today.

Solonge Mon 26-Aug-19 10:49:44

I always treat chicken to 24 hours in a saline bath before roasting for truly juicy meat. I take the bird out of the saline, rinse and dry it. I then loosen the skin over the bird and put in a stuffing between the skin and meat consisting of lemon zest, garlic, salt and white pepper, all mashed up in Brittany butter with salt crystals. I stuff the cavity with the lemons used to provide the zest. I roast this over a mix of potatoes, leeks, mushrooms and peppers. At the end I stir a little stock and cream in the remaining pan juices.

kittylester Mon 26-Aug-19 11:37:29

quizqueen, are you assuming that none of us are using free range chickens?

Lins1066 Mon 26-Aug-19 11:55:54

Chicken breasts stuffed with cheese either Mozzarella, Brie or Camembert and wrapped in pancetta.
Traybake - chicken thighs, red onion, and chorizo, sprinkle grated orange over and drizzle with olive oil. Cook in oven for about an hour.
Normandy chicken.
Parmesan chicken.
Stir fry chicken.

Lins1066 Mon 26-Aug-19 12:01:59

Forgot to say, add some par boiled new potatoes to the traybake that have been sprinkled with smoked paprika.
Good luck with your foot operation teabagwoman, I had one in February and did some batch cooking for the freezer too. It helped a lot.

chrissyh Mon 26-Aug-19 12:51:35

Chicken breasts in a sauce made from Campbell's condensed mushroom soup. 4 skinless chicken breasts; small can sweetcorn drained;100g sliced mushrooms; 1 large sliced onion; 1 can condensed mushroom soup.
Place all ingredients in a large casserole dish, arrange chicken breast on top of veg. Spread over condensed soup - DO NOT ADD WATER. Cook 170 degrees, gas mark 4 for approximately 1hr 15, stirring halfway through.

This is just as good with 150g chopped asparagus & Campbell's Asparagus Soup, apparently, although I have only made the mushroom one.

notnecessarilywiser Mon 26-Aug-19 13:13:01

This Mary Berry recipe is a big success in my family and has the benefit of everything being cooked in one large baking tray - thehappyfoodie.co.uk/recipes/mediterranean-all-in-one-chicken

On the occasions I couldn't get preserved lemons I substituted fresh ones, and have tweaked the recipe to accommodate various family preferences.

Craicon Mon 26-Aug-19 13:32:50

Simple one pot roast dish.

Chuck onions or shallots quartered, a few garlic cloves, some sprigs of fresh or dried thyme and a thickly sliced lemon into a roasting tin. Add salt and pepper and drizzle generously with olive oil.

Add 2-4 chicken breasts depending on the size of your container and stir or use your hands to mix everything together well. Ensure that it’s one big layer and not piled up, otherwise the food underneath will steam and not roast.

Roast in 180° fan oven for 30 mins.
Take out and leave to rest for 5 mins.

Make mustard mayo by adding 4 tsp mayo to 2tsp Dijon mustard and 2 tsp honey.

Serve with mustard mayo and salad/favourite veg/rice as required.

If you’re interested in one pot type recipe ideas, try The Roasting Tin by Rukumi Iyer. I borrowed a copy from the library and the recipes require virtually no prep, have a few simple ingredients, and are extremely tasty.

Cambia Mon 26-Aug-19 14:21:18

Quick chicken is a favourite in our house. For two, put four chicken thighs with bone and skin on in a roasting pan. Sprinkle with chilli powder and oregano. Chop up a potato, carrot and parsnip into pieces and sprinkle round the chicken. Add a couple of garlic cloves. Season well and drizzle over some olive oil. Put into an oven at 220 for twenty five minutes. Take out and add 300ml of chicken stock and a big tablespoon of tomato purée. Mix this all through and pop back in the oven for ten minutes.

Delicious and one pot!