Gransnet forums

Food

Vegetarian Cookbooks

(36 Posts)
CanuckaLatte Sat 14-Sep-19 10:18:58

Saw a post the other day where BradfordLass mentioned having the Laurel's Kitchen cookbook - one of my favourites! What are your go to vegetarian cookbooks (vintage or recent)? I've got so many I couldn't choose a favourite (I tend to have favourite recipes rather than individual favourite cookbooks), but probably the five I reach for first are:

Moosewood Cookbook
Sundays at Moosewood
Laurels Kitchen
Oh She Glows
Deliciously Ella

LondonGranny Thu 19-Sep-19 14:05:38

The Vegetarian Epicure by Anna Shaw.
I got my first copy in the mid-seventies after discovering Rose Elliot's Not Just A Load Of Old Lentils was indeed just a load of old lentils. The memory of her 'Shepherd's Pie' (lentils underneath, shredded wheat on top) is seared on my memory, and not in a good way. Like eating wet sawdust with an MDF topping.
The Vegetarian Epicure has undergone loads of revisions, which I discovered after I gave my well-worn copy to a friend of my son's and bought a new one & some of my favourite recipes were no longer there. sad

paddyann Thu 19-Sep-19 16:05:29

Cuisine Imaginaire by Roselyne Masselin.I bought it many years ago when we had friends visiting who had recnetly become vegetarian ,it has menus for all four seasons and lots of nice veggie things that were quite hard to come by in the early 90's.I was so impressed by some of the food I produced from it that I became vegetarian

GillT57 Thu 19-Sep-19 16:07:57

Oh, sounds interesting Paddyane, shall have a look at that one. I have found that some of the older vegetarian cookbooks are lots of interestingly arranged vegetables with little else.

humptydumpty Thu 19-Sep-19 16:36:01

LondonGranny delighted to find another fan of The Vegetarian Epicure! - must get another copy if it's still in print.

humptydumpty Thu 19-Sep-19 16:42:33

..which it is, but dated 2014, so I'm afraid I, too, will find my favourite recipes no longer there..

rockgran Thu 19-Sep-19 17:06:50

The Complete Vegetarian Cookbook by Jane Price - you can still get copies but it must be over 20 years old. I also love Rose Elliot's Vegetarian Christmas. I do the "chestnut and red wine pate en croute" most winters. Nowadays I tend to look for recipes on youtube. For basic cookery methods and recipes I still use my Marguerite Patten Perfect Cooking that I got when I was first married in 1972. It usually has the answer.

Fennel Thu 19-Sep-19 17:47:04

Rose Elliot's Not Just a Load of Old Lentils.
I bought it when it first came out, lost it in a house move, and later managed to buy a copy from ?Amazon.
I still refer to it, even though we're not vegetarian now, but I like to make a veggie main course once a week.

BradfordLass72 Fri 20-Sep-19 02:50:57

I've been using 'Laurel's Kitchen' for almost 30 years, not just a cookbook, also a good read.

crystaltipps Fri 20-Sep-19 06:41:38

The BOSH! all plants cookbook is the best new book. All the recipes we’ve cooked from there have been excellent.

Nannarose Fri 20-Sep-19 08:24:51

Any of Rose Elliott's. The old Cranks book (which I needed just last week). Modern ones: Anna Jones, whose respect for ingredients and nurturing flavour is always an inspiration.

Humbertbear Fri 20-Sep-19 08:58:27

I like 1000 Vegetarían Recipes which I bought for a fiver in Woolworths 20 years ago but we are much taken with the new Jamie’s cookbook

Katek Fri 20-Sep-19 09:02:09

A recent acquisition is The Green Roasting Tin by Rukmini Iyer - fantastic. Loads of very tasty one tin recipes which suit my style of cooking perfectly. I say style, of but I actually don’t enjoy cooking at all so the less time spent doing it the better!

humptydumpty Fri 20-Sep-19 10:06:56

Inspired by this thread, have just bought the Jamie book - here's to good eating! (assuming I get around to acually making the recipes...)

grizzlybear27 Fri 20-Sep-19 10:33:27

I have just bought the Abel and Cole one

sweetcakes Fri 20-Sep-19 10:36:29

I just Google and save, or write them down off the tv, can't be bothered buying books they can be so expensive.

merlotgran Fri 20-Sep-19 10:42:10

We eat a mostly vegetarian diet as we grow a lot of our own fruit and veg. I have a couple of veggie cook books but find the best way to source new recipes is decide what veg we're having then type it into a search engine and choose from the many recipes that pop up.

I write my favourites down in a blank recipe book that I got from Amazon.

merlotgran Fri 20-Sep-19 10:43:09

I did buy Jamie's new book but my granddaughters nabbed it. grin

Humbertbear Fri 20-Sep-19 11:03:05

Just remembered - a friend gave me Weight Watchers own book called Veggie and it’s excellent

Anthea1948 Fri 20-Sep-19 12:03:12

To be honest, these days I mainly go to the internet for new recipes. But over the years I have built up quite a collection of my own, which I tend to refer to when I can't think of anything imaginative without help. But I do find that most recipes can be adapted by substituting vegetarian options instead of meat.

Skye17 Fri 20-Sep-19 13:24:23

Rose Elliot, especially The Bean Book.
The first Cranks book.

grandMattie Fri 20-Sep-19 13:51:19

Any recipe book by Yottam Otolenghi.

annab275 Fri 20-Sep-19 13:54:04

My go to ones are The Vegetarian Athlete’s Cookbook by Anita Bean, Complete Vegetarian Cookbook by Rose Elliot and River Cottage Veg Every Day - i hardly ever look at my other recipe books x

Solonge Fri 20-Sep-19 14:53:33

Simon Hopkinson, Cranks, Yotem Ottalengi and Linda McCartney.....

nahsma Fri 20-Sep-19 15:02:01

Modern Vegetarian Cookery by Walter and Jenny Fleiss - no longer modern, but some lovely recipes, their red cabbage is to die for. Anna Shaw's Vegetarian Epicure, worth buying for the Potatoes Romanoff and Mushrooms Berkeley apart from anything else. And a tiny, wartime booklet from The Vegetarian Society that was my mum's - the recipes are, generally, as dull as ditch-water, but I can remember mum making some of them.