Gransnet forums

Food

Anyone want to be on 'Bake Off 2020'?

(33 Posts)
Jane10 Sun 08-Dec-19 08:12:42

I found a full page advertisement in 'The Oldie' appealing for entrants. I was glad about that as there were too many youngsters this year.
Anyway FYI online applications to:
www.applyforbakeoff.co.uk
Deadline for applications is 20th January. Go on. Somebody from GN should be on it!

winifred01 Sun 08-Dec-19 14:00:53

On holiday a couple of weeks ago, found myself in a jacuzzi with Paul Hollywood ( and his bikini clad partner) The bread at breakfast was delicious- think they must have got him up early!

Jane10 Sun 08-Dec-19 16:09:21

Calistemon- thanks for the suggestion but M&S do my baking. I wouldn't dare try to make so much as a scone.
I enjoy the programme though. I like Pru, love Sandi and Noel but Paul? Meh. Mind you there has to be a sort of 'bad guy' persona so he does have a role. (Note to autocorrect NOT roll!)

Greciangirl Sun 08-Dec-19 16:11:34

On the one hand we are being encouraged to eat more healthily, and on the other hand we are being encouraged to bake and eat loads of sugary cakes.

I very rarely eat cakes, so no, I won’t be applying or watching the programme. I think they should give it a rest.

Callistemon Sun 08-Dec-19 16:12:38

The Christmas cakes look ok but the proof of the cake will be in the eating as they say (nearly).

But the decoration will probably look terrible, not up to Bake Off's ridiculous standards at all.

Mebster Sun 08-Dec-19 16:15:20

I love to watch but the time pressure to turn out perfect looking bakes would not be my thing at all!

MamaCaz Sun 08-Dec-19 16:36:29

Absolutely no way!

The only show of this kind that I would even remotely have considered going on (in my wildest dreams and after a few too many drinks) would have been the Big Allotment Challenge. grin

IMO, Bake-off has changed too much, with contestants now being selected more for their personality than their baking skills, and the challenges no longer - or only rarely- involving baking skills that the average home baker can really relate to.

craftyone Thu 19-Dec-19 09:18:00

no chance, after 45 years of non stop baking for a family and prior to that starting at age 9, no way on earth. I deserve my well earned retirement from baking and am now a minimalistic baker, only doing what I have to do or what I fancy for myself.