Gransnet forums

Food

I might try Aldi

(113 Posts)
inkycog Thu 02-Jan-20 13:38:48

Any professional Aldi shoppers here? What's good and what's not? Is the fruit and veg OK?

grannysue05 Thu 02-Jan-20 13:48:59

I go to Aldi every week now. (Used to be a Waitrose shopper - no longer.)
Fruit and veg come in daily and the choice is good and produce fresh. The weeks special six are amazing value.
Salmon and all fish is also fresh and very well priced. Meat selection across the range offers all cuts and types - even 21 day aged Aberdeen Angus steaks.
Bread selection is OK but there is little in the way of Artisan loaves.
Big range of baking ingredients if that is your thing.
I don't buy ready meals but my friend does and she rates them as average to good.
Really my experience is that I save a lot of money every week compared to before, and I am pleased about that.
I enjoy the selection of food. Give it a try.

phoenix Thu 02-Jan-20 13:51:14

Not so keen on Aldi, but love Lidl!

MissAdventure Thu 02-Jan-20 13:56:32

I like Aldi.
I haven't found anything that's not good from there, but you do have to watch the use by dates and make sure to stick to them.

Their tomato soup is nowhere as good as Heinz, by the way.

SirChenjin Thu 02-Jan-20 13:59:24

I really like Aldi - there’s definitely not the wide choice you find in other supermarkets but you soon come to realise that you don’t actually need eleventy billion flavours of washing up liquid, just one really good one.

I like the Super 6 veg and fruit (is it super 6? Their weekly offer of 6, whatever it’s called), their fresh meat, deli meat, selection of cheeses, their vegan pots, thick and creamy yogurt, their Moser Rothe (sp?) chocolate, smoothies, fresh pizza, laundry detergent, quilted loo roll, fresh fish... the list is endless.

The only thing I would say is that the checkouts can be a bit crazy. For some reason - and I’ve not experienced it elsewhere - some Aldi users seem to think it’s ok to unload their shopping as you’re still unloading yours. I suggest parking your trolley at the start of the belt and loading behind you if that makes sense. Also - I don’t like repacking at the packing shelf so I put empty bags god life in the trolley and pack directly into them.

Esspee Thu 02-Jan-20 14:17:05

I love Lidl, especially their freshly baked bread. The low GI cob and the sourdough are my favourites.
The vegetables and fruit are great value as are their nuts, both loose and prepackaged, cheeses and antipasti, tinned fish, herbs, yoghurts, Creme fraiche, fresh meat, teas, alcohol, toiletries and detergents, all household cleaning products....I could go on and on.
The best thing about shopping there is the shock at the till when the total is so much less than you expected.
Aldi is good too but I prefer Lidl.

Pantglas2 Thu 02-Jan-20 14:28:43

I also like Aldi (and Lidl) and love the fact that they have single figure choice of cereals etc SirChenjin! The quality is good and they even sell a sliced sourdough bread which is good. Also like you, I always pack into open bags in the trolley rather than do it twice!

sodapop Thu 02-Jan-20 14:35:54

I find Aldi quite depressing and the service at our local branch (in France) is appalling.
Fortunately my husband does most of the shopping so I don't have to go very often.

phoenix Thu 02-Jan-20 14:39:59

The jam in Lidl has a higher fruit content than many, the Kania tomato ketchup has more tomato per gram than Heinz (check the label, it will tell you!)

The ribeye steak is full of flavour, the W5 kitchen cleaner is brilliant, and loads cheaper than Flash, their bacon (we have the thick cut unsmoked back) is consistently good, as are the outdoor bred pork sausages.

(I expect that it is the pigs that produce the pork for the sausages that are outdoor bred, unless someone has actually devised a way of breeding sausages!)

DoraMarr Thu 02-Jan-20 16:07:52

My supermarkets of choice were Sainsbury’s, Waitrose and M&S and I never shopped at Aldi until I moved opposite one. Now I shop there all the time. The fruit, vegetables, milk, eggs, cheeses, chicken, and fish are all good. Our Aldi hasn’t got an in-store bakery, but the multi seeded loaf and the ciabatta rolls are delicious. I don’t eat much red meat, but my cousin produces beef for Aldi. He gets a better deal and they pay him quicker than other chains.

BradfordLass72 Fri 03-Jan-20 10:16:19

It's funny you should post this right now as my grand-daughter was just telling me that the quality of foods vary from supermarket to supermarket in the UK.

We both found this very odd because here, it doesn't matter which supermarket you use, all the fresh foods, bakery and meats are excellent and consistent in quality - but it seems we pay a more for that privilege than UK residents.

Happygirl79 Fri 03-Jan-20 11:07:43

I use Aldi for my weekly shop and top up at sainsbury or tesco for things I can't buy from Aldi
Aldi are great value for money. The choice is more limited but fruit and vegetables are great quality. The steaks are particularly good. You should try aldi.
I just can't get away with Lidl at all. Their bread is fantastic but the store is not well organised
They seem to stock things I have never heard of nor wish to try
Their freezer section is awful
But each to their own!

silverlining48 Fri 03-Jan-20 11:13:20

We are fans of Aldi too, we also have a Lidl which has a bakery in the shop. Quality food at excellent prices.
Both have middle aisles, random items changed weekly, so when it’s gone it’s gone and often find something we need. Last buy was a wood burner fan. Excellent quality and price.

CleoPanda Fri 03-Jan-20 11:27:47

Aldi in my town is fab.
There’s a huge thread that was started in summer 2019 that may interest you. It’s here: www.gransnet.com/forums/chat/1262568-Aldi-recommendation-please
All their chicken is UK bred and produced which pleases me immensely as many supermarkets stock Thai chicken. Not good for anyone’s carbon footprint?

inkycog Fri 03-Jan-20 11:42:43

Wow, Cleo, thanks for that link.

Lovemybed Fri 03-Jan-20 12:17:51

Like Esspee I prefer Lidl. Their Skyr yogurt, fresh baguettes
and flowers are great value.

midnightschild Fri 03-Jan-20 12:35:34

I use both Aldi and Lidl. I prefer Aldi’s fruit and vegetables but Lidl’s meat. I find a lot of their ‘own’ brands to be better than the known brands eg I think Lidl’s Baked Beans and soups are better than Heinz. Both do great booze at excellent prices.

phoenix Fri 03-Jan-20 15:12:34

We have been known to enjoy the odd bottle glass of Cava. Both Aldi and Lidl are around the same price (£5.25 ish?) but after a bit of research, Mr P and I prefer the Lidl one.

Calendargirl Fri 03-Jan-20 15:19:11

No Lidl or Aldi close to us, so use Tesco and occasionally Sainsbury’s. If one opened near us, would certainly give it a go, but am not keen enough on grocery shopping to travel 15 miles away even if it’s cheaper.

Charleygirl5 Fri 03-Jan-20 15:32:35

I do like Lidl but my two stores are rather out of the way but when I make the effort I, like others am pleasantly surprised at the till. I love the frozen section- food I have never heard of before which is delicious. Fish and meat is very good quality- I just do not like the layout of Lidl- I could improve it for them.

The two Aldis are also not convenient, both are quite small but I still like their produce. Wine is very good value.

phoenix Fri 03-Jan-20 15:48:33

If you enjoy the occasional pie, I recommend the Steak & Long Clawson Stilton pies, packs of 2 in the frozen section.

We have also recently been enjoying the venison steaks (again in the frozen section) although rather than eating them just as a steak, I braise them.

Delicious, and a low cholesterol meat.

DoraMarr Fri 03-Jan-20 21:29:21

I forgot about the wine, it is very good! Also, the Aldi gin came out very well in a blind tasting.

BlueBelle Fri 03-Jan-20 21:49:58

I like both Aldi and Lldl and my bill is about half
I can’t find anything wrong with the layout of either they are just long aisles like other supermarkets
Lldl is far better for the baking/ bread section otherwise both good

Flowerette Fri 03-Jan-20 21:58:37

Aldi shopper here too ... also sains and Tesco ... I pull and tweek but love Aldi
love the low shopping bill ... a god send for people setting at home etc ... and just great all round for more money in pocket lol

MawB Fri 03-Jan-20 22:07:04

www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=2ahUKEwjWlLO5t-jmAhWugVwKHSSbCd0QyCkwAHoECAYQBA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DcL7jyXCQ2Zc&usg=AOvVaw0MThjqGwA0ZMhHLMQOxa0O

Specially for you grin