Gransnet forums

Food

Does reusing leftover veg give you wind?

(64 Posts)
Yehbutnobut Thu 09-Jan-20 13:06:28

I used to love a good old bubble and squeak using leftovers but just recently I find it makes my innards bubble too much.

Is it just me?

Jane10 Fri 10-Jan-20 11:54:26

I had a vegan curry last night. I don't know who regrets it more me or the poor cat!

Dillyduck Fri 10-Jan-20 12:02:28

I love veg, get wind, take WindEze CAPSULES for almost immediate relief! In fact I keep some in my handbag at all times.

EllanVannin Fri 10-Jan-20 12:33:07

Juliet, flying and wind never bothered me as it just eked out without a sound and impregnated into the seat. I just sat and hoped for the best. Had it off to a fine art hahahaha.

sodapop Fri 10-Jan-20 12:41:46

I remember seeing an advert somewhere for special knickers which were impregnated with
? charcoal? to absorb odours.

Flakesdayout Fri 10-Jan-20 12:48:50

Thank you I have had a giggle at some of your replies. Yes I do think as you get older it gets worse, although I think I have always been quite windy. I have trouble with baked beans and although I love them have to be prepared for what happens after. Some of the main culprits are cabbage and sprouts and I have discovered a knack of letting go relatively silently. In a supermarket down a lonely isle has its advantages!
Oh the things we have to do ha! ha! ha!

RomyP Fri 10-Jan-20 13:13:39

I have diverticular disease, many of us probably do even if don't know it as is more common as we get older, some veg is diabolical for affecting that. I could get a wind turbine going without having to think about it after some meals. Spinach, cauliflower and mushrooms are amongst the worst culprits but there are too many to mention, meat is pretty bad too. I have to keep visiting the little room and just for nobody else can hear me, they'd need to be deaf not to though.

Nanny41 Fri 10-Jan-20 13:25:20

I thought I was alone with the wind problem,I like garlic but it doesnt like me, neither does chilli.Why does this happen,I tolerated everything when I was young, its such a nuisance and inconvenient too.

Madmaggie Fri 10-Jan-20 13:49:37

Thank heavens its not just me. I too have had a bad cough over Christmas/new year and ate very little but the wind - oh dear! My mum used to say this little rhyme when she had wind "Where 'ere you are, where 'ere you be. Always let your wind go free - for it was that, that killeth me." Apparently an inscription from an old tombstone.

Yehbutnobut Fri 10-Jan-20 16:38:27

Well coming back to this thread has given me a much needed laugh. Many years ago when I was younger and fitter I was out for an early morning along a grassy track. Ahead I spotted another jogger, a woman.

There she was, as she thought, all alone, miles from anywhere so safe to let it all out...too late to hold back as I drew level with her...she let it all rip!

Callistemon Fri 10-Jan-20 16:44:03

The lentils worked at about 2 am;.
I had to go into the bathroom.

PamelaJ1 Fri 10-Jan-20 18:01:00

Just to reassure all of you who have body massages, yes it happens. Quite often?
I move up to work on the shoulders and neck!

Ninarosa Fri 10-Jan-20 18:34:35

During a weekend away to Edinburgh my friend and I over- indulged on lovely spicy haggis at breakfast. We both admitted later that day to farting the length of Princes Street.

Dottydots Fri 10-Jan-20 18:51:31

My son says that I'm a farting machine.

Lilylaundry Fri 10-Jan-20 19:23:24

My mum used to say:

Where 'ere you be
Church or Chapel,
Just let it prattle,

Then blame it on the person next to you!

Callistemon Fri 10-Jan-20 23:18:18

DH recites a slightly different version:

Where 'ere you be, let the wind go free
Church or chapel, let it rattle

The quiet ones are the worst though

V3ra Fri 10-Jan-20 23:58:13

I find Healthspan peppermint oil capsules are very effective.
My elderly Dad had a lot of digestive trouble last year and he agreed they really help.
You can buy them online.

hollysteers Sat 11-Jan-20 03:01:38

Husband and wife in church choir, just after a quiet section:
Wife”I’ve just done a silent fart, what should I do?”
Husband “Get your ears tested” ?

hollysteers Sat 11-Jan-20 03:11:46

I’ve had bowel surgery, have two hernias and IBS and can hear my stomach symphony as I type. It’s not bothering the cat however, sleeping on my lap. I’m VERY windy and if I go off into hysterics over a comedy programme, I’m like the trumpet voluntary.
I was on holiday with my sister in France on a quiet night walking away from a restaurant after a lovely meal. She was astonished how her jokey story set off the 1812 overture ??

ladymuck Sat 11-Jan-20 07:23:21

Well, I'm starting the day in tears....of laughter!
So refreshing to see people actually admitting to it....it's something we all do but like to pretend we don't.

Liaise Sat 11-Jan-20 08:42:27

I agree withDILLYDUCK Windeze is marvellous for wind. It is available in chewable or capsule form. There are other similar makes. The ingredient Simeticone relieves the wind. Look out for this when buying.

H1954 Sat 11-Jan-20 08:50:14

Yes, Miss Adventure, me too! ?
3nanny6, you have me in tears laughing at the vision of your dog!

DillytheGardener Sat 11-Jan-20 09:06:00

I’ve found Diet Coke helps me digest stodgy or oily food. I used to struggle with bloating when DH and I ate out as restaurant food often has much more onions, garlic, oil that my (bland) home cooking. You still burp/break wind but in a way much more manageable to hide. blush

Witzend Sat 11-Jan-20 09:06:01

Not sure whether it’s all the veg - we do eat a lot and dh is very fond of sprouts! - but everything seems to give me wind.

Alas we no longer have a dog to blame it on, though you could usually tell - hers had a very distinctive ‘bouquet’ - but we would often say, ‘Pooh, was it you?’ upon which she’d go and hide behind the sofa, whether it was her or not, poor thing.

Witzend Sat 11-Jan-20 09:17:53

Have just remembered my long-gone father, who was in the RN during WW2, would sometimes use the expression he said was common on HM ships at the time: ‘Has some bloody great rat crawled up your arse and died?’

In later years he would sometimes amuse himself by releasing a silent ‘dead rat’ in e.g. a crowded Woolworths on a Saturday morning, and subsequently moving away to watch other people giving each other filthy looks.

annsixty Sat 11-Jan-20 09:19:21

We had friend who had a boxer dog. When our children were small we often went to stay with them.
On one visit a friend of theirs babysat for us and when we returned the friend was sitting with her coat on and bolted as soon as we walked in, it was so strange and so noticeable.
When we walked into the sitting room we got our answer, the smell was incredible, the dog must have been at it all evening.
We had to open windows and doors to clear the air.
I felt so sorry for the sitter, she may have thought we would think it was her.