Gransnet forums

Food

Does reusing leftover veg give you wind?

(63 Posts)
Yehbutnobut Thu 09-Jan-20 13:06:28

I used to love a good old bubble and squeak using leftovers but just recently I find it makes my innards bubble too much.

Is it just me?

sarahellenwhitney Thu 09-Jan-20 13:15:55

Apart from carrots and salad veg the older I get finds me more inclined to veg wind than when I was younger.Don't mention mushy peas, once a favourite, I now have to do without.

sarahellenwhitney Thu 09-Jan-20 13:17:17

Don't mention mushy peas.

timetogo2016 Thu 09-Jan-20 13:19:15

I love doing b a s and it doesn`t seem to effect me.
That being said I always have a glass of water with my food.

MissAdventure Thu 09-Jan-20 13:27:25

In short, EVERYTHING gives me wind. blush

Callistemon Thu 09-Jan-20 13:45:13

Were there Brussels sprouts in the mix?
They can give you wind first time round!

As did cauliflower cheese last night; come to think of it, it had been pre-cooked and frozen.

Yehbutnobut Thu 09-Jan-20 13:49:51

Not this time, but yes cauliflower, same family of course.

NfkDumpling Thu 09-Jan-20 14:17:04

I read the older you get the more windy you get.

Something I read somewhere. Old peoples farts don’t smell. Just try to make them quiet ones!

sodapop Thu 09-Jan-20 16:54:21

Not true NfkDumpling I can vouch for that. I always blame the dogs.smile

Fennel Thu 09-Jan-20 17:07:56

Reminds me of when I was child living with my grandparents and family dog Simon.
Grandpa had some important friends in for meeting and there was an awful smell.
"Get out, Simon" he shouted. But Simon wasn't there. grin.

PamelaJ1 Thu 09-Jan-20 17:11:14

Note to self- must get a dog?

EllanVannin Thu 09-Jan-20 17:11:16

Hahahahaha, Fennel.

EllanVannin Thu 09-Jan-20 17:15:04

I haven't needed any kind of veg this last couple of weeks with my cough. I've been like a one man band. I don't know about the "Trumpet Voluntary", more the trumping involuntary. It's been horrendous.

Callistemon Thu 09-Jan-20 17:38:46

It's awful, isn't it EllanVannin

I keep thinking it's gone after 3 weeks but then along comes another bout.
It hasn't put me off my food though. And nothing puts me off bubble and squeak.

We had veg and lentil soup at lunch-time, that's something else that produces wind.

Fennel grin

wot Fri 10-Jan-20 10:00:05

So funny! One of the benefits of living alone is you don't have to cripple yourself holding it in! Have to remember not to do it when in public.

ladymuck Fri 10-Jan-20 10:01:56

Not many vegetables that DON'T cause wind, fresh or re-hashed!

EllieB52 Fri 10-Jan-20 10:19:52

I’ve only got to look at a banana!!

sandelf Fri 10-Jan-20 10:24:31

Could be its just too greasy? Or general age? Apparently its not unusual for older people to not produce quite enough stomach acids. I find this a big help (genuinely, not advertising I'm sure 'others' are good too.
www.naturesbest.co.uk/digestive-aids-fibre/digestizyme/

Rosiewhite1 Fri 10-Jan-20 10:30:14

Since I entered my 8th decade (I'm now 76) and then, 4 years ago, had bowel surgery, I have not been able to tolerate baked beans!!! And I used to really really love BB on toast - every day if wanted!

Now I can't tolerate a whole lot of things I used to love - sweetcorn, indian food, cabbage, sprouts, onions (fried or raw) and any rich foods! Bubble and squeak and cauliflower cheese are definitely wind makers, but if I make these dishes, I still have a small spoonful and then remind my husband that I've had them!
If I am going out with friends for the day or an evening, I just don't eat any of these foods for 12 hours before we all meet up!
I find it does help to have five or six small meals a day instead of the regular three. Not easy to do if you still work or are on some sort of schedule.
NfkDumpling mentioned that farts don't smell as we get older - I definitely agree with that. My husband is only 71 and I have to leave the room sometimes - Yuk!

Juliet27 Fri 10-Jan-20 10:31:26

It’s the wind I get on a flight that bothers me....and probably the other passengers!,

annodomini Fri 10-Jan-20 10:51:23

Sprouts and spinach are out of order for me. When I'd politely eaten a helping of spinach when visiting a relative, I had awful wind all night. When I asked her not to give me spinach again, she said, 'But it's good for you'. Oh no it isn't!

Greciangirl Fri 10-Jan-20 11:27:38

It seems all foods give me wind.

And yes, they do smell, unfortunately.

I have tried all sorts of remedies, including charcoal tablets, probiotics etc. Nothing seems to help.
My partner is a lover of baked beans and he hardly ever farts.
So, why do I.

Phloembundle Fri 10-Jan-20 11:33:06

Leeks.OMG. jet propelled all night.

Warmthlover Fri 10-Jan-20 11:50:08

I’ve had to give up Pilates .......

3nanny6 Fri 10-Jan-20 11:52:05

I do eat a variety of vegetables in my diet I heard they are good for you. Possibly the worst one for me is brussel sprouts
although I like them a lot.
I do get wind more these days and some mornings when alone I just let the wind out, I apologise most sincerely to my dog as she gives me such a look and then walks around me and starts sniffing.
Several days ago my son was upstairs and I was in the kitchen when a rather loud bit of wind escaped my son called out saying "mother really was that you"?I I was mortified and blamed the dogs for eating too much rubbish over the Christmas.