Gransnet forums

Food

Pineapple

(35 Posts)
Fennel Fri 20-Mar-20 13:28:47

Someone gave me a huge pineapple last week. It was green at the time but is now in perfect ripeness - you can smell its perfume.
I've peeled it and cut it up but there's far more than we can eat.
Would it work to freeze it for later use?
Otherwise, any other ideas?

Fennel Fri 20-Mar-20 13:35:14

ps I can still smell it on my hands,smile. After washing them.

SueDonim Fri 20-Mar-20 13:42:31

I think you can freeze it. My motto is to try and freeze anything I have in excess. The worst that can happen is you have to throw it out. Despite warnings that you can’t freeze fresh tomatoes, I do. Sure, they collapse and can’t be used like a fresh one but they’re fine for a tomato-based sauce or soup.

If the pineapple ends up going mushy, you can always make a smoothie with it or add it to other fruit in a crumble.

EllanVannin Fri 20-Mar-20 13:46:31

I'm sure it'll freeze alright Fennel as long as it's separated then it doesn't all stick together .

EllanVannin Fri 20-Mar-20 13:48:44

It's strawberries that don't seem to fare so well unless you intend making strawberry jam.

Auntieflo Fri 20-Mar-20 15:13:12

Make a pineapple upside down cake, cut it into portions and freeze it.
Puds for a couple of days.

Urmstongran Fri 20-Mar-20 15:50:30

Mash it up and mix it into a piña colada cocktail?
? cheers!

Jane10 Fri 20-Mar-20 16:01:07

Lovely! What a nice problem to have. Enjoy it in all its forms.

sweetcakes Sat 21-Mar-20 09:13:56

Cut it up into cubes put on a baking tray and freeze separately and then bag up and put back in the freezer.
Sweet and sour sauce maybe.

Quizzer Sat 21-Mar-20 09:16:12

Pineapple freezes well but do it asap after cutting. Pineapple juice attacks the skin which is probably why your hands absorb the smell. In the past workers in pineapple canning factories lost their fingerprints due to the effect of the juice!

scraggiesue Sat 21-Mar-20 09:20:38

Yes you can freeze pineapple. I have done it and it freezes beautifully. I cut the pineapple up into chunks and then froze it in portions. Great way of keeping it as you can have too much of it to use at once.

Kartush Sat 21-Mar-20 09:41:43

It will freeze ok but you may only be able to use it for cooking or smoothies when you thaw it again.

Lucca Sat 21-Mar-20 09:59:30

Anyone else get mouth tingle after eating pineapple?

Phloembundle Sat 21-Mar-20 10:05:25

I froze some pineapple for my mum to suck when she gets a dry mouth. Texture may be a bit different if you thaw it.

felice Sat 21-Mar-20 10:39:18

I often freeze leftover fresh Pineapple, then use it is a salsa.

Make the marinade with, Soy sauce, white wine vinegar, chilli flakes, smoked Paprika, Honey and Garlic powder.
Mix well and add to the pineapple, spring onions, sweetcorn and garden peas.
Leave for at least 3 hours, even overnight in the fridge is ok.
For serving add quartered cherry tomatoes and a fresh herb of choice.
It is great with Gammon in particular.
The quantities are up to you it depends how hot you like things and how much you are making.

Enjoy stay safe.

Enjoy

Sparklefizz Sat 21-Mar-20 11:55:02

Anyone else get mouth tingle after eating pineapple?

Yes. I suspect it's not good for me.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 21-Mar-20 11:59:54

I would cut it into cubes and pop them into boiling water for five minutes. Freeze them when cold.

I suspect they will become woody in the freezer if you don't blanchere them first, but I don't know as I have never tried.

Or alternately boil them for about 10 minutes and pop them into jam jars and seal them.

willa45 Sat 21-Mar-20 12:08:06

In a word....yes! Cut it into squares and freeze in a plastic covered container.

Lizbethann55 Sat 21-Mar-20 12:30:59

It's extremely good for coughs and sore throats. So nothing to do with enzymes I believe. Maybe we should all get some and freeze it incase we come down with Corona

SueDonim Sat 21-Mar-20 13:29:27

Pineapple is reputedly good for inducing labour. Although I don’t imagine many of us here on GN will be requiring its properties in that area! grin

My mum can’t eat pineapple. It strips the lining in her mouth and gives her mouth ulcers.

hulahoop Sat 21-Mar-20 13:45:54

I used to freez pineapple in chunks to suck when having chemo it helps to protect mouth .didnt blanch before freezing .

Daisyboots Sat 21-Mar-20 14:40:27

hulaboop what a great idea. Will have to try that.
Yes pineapple freezes well and keeps well in the freezer for at least 12 months. Pineapple is also great for healing wounds too. Eating it not actually putting it on the wound. When my mother had a deep wound the special wounds nurse suggested she eat pineapple she turned her nose up. It turned outcat the age of 93 she had never eaten fresh pineapple. She didnt like tinned pineapple and had assumed fresh tasted the same. From then on until she died just short of her 98th birthday she regularly ate pineapple.

Thecatshatontgemat Sat 21-Mar-20 15:20:42

Yup. Pineapple freezes well.
Cut up and store in plastic bags, or just slice through, wrap in cling film individually and freeze.
When defrosted, they retain their firmness and taste.
Do not blanch them, that would be weird!

May7 Sat 21-Mar-20 15:59:54

My nan used to say that if your mouth tingled when you ate pineapple it was because it was going off ?? She was usually correct

duju Sat 21-Mar-20 17:10:30

I too have to be careful of eating too much pineapple.
My tongue gets so sore to the degree of it running with blood- YUK!
Shame, as the bromelain (wrong spelling ?) in the core is soooo good for you according to google search.
Take care everyone.